Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Actually, in Polaris's, and many other auto manufacturers defense, shavings in oil, are normal...
Agreed on this. It just depends on what "lots" of shavings mean...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Had my input shaft seal leaking and replaced, then 6 months later output shaft leaking and had seal replaced. Mine is a January 2015 build, but noticed the bad seal had a single inner lip and the replacement seal had a dual lip. Just FYI

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I know this post is a month old but just wanted to mention my 2016.5 (March build date) had an angle drive leak in the front after about 700 miles (2-3 drips after every drive) and it was a warranty repair by my dealer. Took 2 weeks for the dealer to get the new $400 tool and repair procedure from polaris (this is what they told me several times, almost making me feel guilty for bringing it in) and now no more leak....although the whine is back....must be from the tear down and rebuild of the rear drive....long story short there was no hassle getting it taken care of free of charge

·
Registered
521 Posts
DSCN0065.JPG

I have come to the conclusion the angle drive seal failure is caused by metal shavings, or over pressure in the drive.
That photo was in a NEW 5 qt pan from my SS with about 270 miles on it. It was full of shavings. (did post it in another thread). Also I do not see a vent on top (did not get down with a mirror and look but I will today) .If there is no vent will have to see where to drill and add a vent and hose so no water can ever get in. .

Would really like to know what percent of seals are failing, the input or output seals.
Need a poll for that. Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know this post is a month old but just wanted to mention my 2016.5 (March build date) had an angle drive leak in the front after about 700 miles (2-3 drips after every drive) and it was a warranty repair by my dealer. Took 2 weeks for the dealer to get the new $400 tool and repair procedure from polaris (this is what they told me several times, almost making me feel guilty for bringing it in) and now no more leak....although the whine is back....must be from the tear down and rebuild of the rear drive....long story short there was no hassle getting it taken care of free of charge
I have the same problem on my 2016.5 with similar build date. Started at 300 miles and very minor. I was given the normal routine of "bring it in, we'll take a pix and send it to Polaris and then they'll authorize the repair and send the seal. In the meantime we're going to have to keep your SS." Does Polaris not allow the dealers to stock parts? It's curious that they have to see a pix before authorizing warranty work!

It's been suggested that the angle drives have been overfilled at the factory and forcing the seat of the seal to fail. Mine has been leaking for nearly a month and still flows out of the fill plug when I checked the level.

Replacing the input quill seal is a fairly simple procedure. I can't imagine it requiring a $400 piece of equipment but who knows!?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2016.5 with similar build date. Started at 300 miles and very minor. I was given the normal routine of "bring it in, we'll take a pix and send it to Polaris and then they'll authorize the repair and send the seal. In the meantime we're going to have to keep your SS." Does Polaris not allow the dealers to stock parts? It's curious that they have to see a pix before authorizing warranty work!

It's been suggested that the angle drives have been overfilled at the factory and forcing the seat of the seal to fail. Mine has been leaking for nearly a month and still flows out of the fill plug when I checked the level.

Replacing the input quill seal is a fairly simple procedure. I can't imagine it requiring a $400 piece of equipment but who knows!?
Really took no fussing by me. After the break in service it started leaking. They contacted polaris and said it's a warranty fix...bring it back in two weeks after we get the new "tool" and procedure. Just hope it doesn't start to leak from the back end next...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yes they do have a vent on it. Where was there engineers on this one also, vent right on top where all the water just splashes around. Will get an adapter and hose and run it up high to keep any and all water out.
DSCN0068.JPG

·
Registered
52 Posts
Really took no fussing by me. After the break in service it started leaking. They contacted polaris and said it's a warranty fix...bring it back in two weeks after we get the new "tool" and procedure. Just hope it doesn't start to leak from the back end next...
And that's the procedure one would expect. Luck of the draw I suppose.

I haven't heard of any problems from the output shafts but some have had the input seal replaced three times.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes they do have a vent on it. Where was there engineers on this one also, vent right on top where all the water just splashes around. Will get an adapter and hose and run it up high to keep any and all water out. View attachment 56926
That may debunk the premise of overfilling being the culprit, then. By the way, metal shavings, possibly, but I've seen posts here and other forums claiming the initial load of oil contains a metallic additive. I'm assuming it's to hasten proper meshing of the gears in hopes of making it a little quieter. If this is accurate, we may be doing ourselves a disservice by changing oil prematurely.

·
Registered
521 Posts
DSCN0074.JPG
DSCN0075.JPG
DSCN0073.JPG DSCN0071.JPG
Took off there vent, and added a 2' hose and put it up aside the fuel tank. That should eliminate and water getting in the final drive from road water or the hose when washing the
Rock's off the final drive. Took about 15 minutes to do it all. There too CHEAP to even put sealant on the threads.

·
Registered
146 Posts
1,000 miles and mine started leaking. Took it to the dealer, who determined it was the pinion seal. Service ordered the parts and had them in 2 days. I take it in next week Wednesday (7-6-16). They told me 2.5hrs and I'd be on my way home. (?)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts