Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Lateral Acceleration?

7K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  TonyB 
#1 ·
Any ideas on what to expect here?

I'm really, really curious how a reverse trike handles, particularly the Slingshot. Any validation of the T-Rex pulling 1.3 to 1.9 G's (various references)?

#2 ·
On the Polaris specs they say around 0.88G to 1G...The T-Rex can go 1,3G with a good driver. The difference between the 2 machines was the rear conception, the T-Rex have a very low profile rear and the SS was higher and the T-Rex can have a 295 for the rear tires and for the SS SL got 255...

#3 ·
Thanks for the feedback Centhron. I should have found the specs, but had not....

I guess I'll need to look at the T-Rex and SS rear ends to see how the design difference lends itself to better lateral grip. Would be nice if we could get more rubber back there...

#6 ·
Good rubber and good pilot! To go close to that point you need to have skill!!

Just for fun look this video, listen to 3:30 to 6:30 minutes ...yes they put race rubber...and this guy is a good pilot!! Maybe he got more then 1.3G! He beat the track record this day...and its the only solo T-Rex...lol :D

#8 · (Edited)
I believe the T-Rex has a wider stance too (track width), by about a couple inches?

EDIT / ADD: Seems that the T-Rex is a fraction of an inch wider (overall width) only (78 vs. 77.6 inches).

Wheelbase-wise, the SS is longer, 105 vs. 90...

Height, the SS is nearly 10" taller (42 vs. 51.9)

#10 ·
Ok with some GREAT tires Nitto 555 all around, the SS should do some what better than OEM.

Also anyone know if that front sway bar has Rubber bushings or are they a HARD PLASTIC?

If they are rubber bushings then that can be another possibility for handling improvement.

Tire's alone will be a BIG improvement, but bushings too, it would be a great improvement

#14 ·
I haven't hit a corner that's made me feel unstable. Even if I hit the gas to intentionally break the rear loose it's still manageable and predictable. If you hammer down in first, you will basically stand still. Since I've only ever had cold roads to work with that may not be the case later on. Getting a good launch on chilly pavement is very tricky. Doing donuts or "whipping a shitty" is also a piece of cake. Especially if you turn off both nannies. Insanely fun to drive. Feels wild and dangerous and perfectly safe at the same time. Probably feel more sinister for the passenger! Behind the wheel you pretty much always know what's going to happen.
I can also take exit ramps marked 25 mph around 70. Most of them anyway.

#16 ·
In a video with a SS rep, he noted that this sweet spot, the size of his fist, is in a spot that he would not specify. Not sure why... Indeed, one passenger, two, things change, so it would be nice to know where it is. And, for those of us who want to ditch some weight, we'd need to be smart about such...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.