Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve read all the threads in regards to the knock sensor, not mechanically inclined so I’m curious what will happen if you don’t repair the knock sensor besides the irritating check engine light?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I can't ans that question with any authority, but AFAIK, it merely sensors the combustion and if the octane is too low or poor qual it will adjust the timing to compensate. Mine went out last year and my dealer ordered one from Polaris. After two or three weeks it was still on back order so I called local GM dealer who had one in stock...same part number...about $27 or so. My dealer installed it under warranty and credited me the amount. During that two/three week period I ran premium and could detect nothing diff in the motor.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I thought I had posted this a couple hours ago, but I never hit PostRreply.

You risk engine damage if things get bad enough.
See - Why Does My Engine Knock?. From the article "...any form of knocking left unattended over a long period can seriously damage the engine. A simple and low-cost repair can turn into an expensive one. "
I'd get it fixed. If your Slingshot is under warranty, the fix should be free. If it's not under warranty, any mechanic who knows how to fix a GM Ecotec 2.4 motor should be able to do the work. I don't know if Polaris changed any of the connector wires around, so it's safest to use the Polaris part unless someone else says any GM knock sensor will work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts