Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The check engine light came on indicating a knock sensor error, the sensor was open. Some members say the reason may be bad gas, some say using too high a gear for the RPMs.
Just what goes wrong with the sensor that it needs to be replaced? It looks like a bolt going into the engine. Is the sensor itself the plastic that attaches to the sensor?
Will putting race gas into the tank and driving it reset this sensor?
Putting a tank of bad gas in shouldn't result in a trip the the mechanic.
A new Sling owner needs to know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The check engine light came on indicating a knock sensor error, the sensor was open. Some members say the reason may be bad gas, some say using too high a gear for the RPMs.
Just what goes wrong with the sensor that it needs to be replaced? It looks like a bolt going into the engine. Is the sensor itself the plastic that attaches to the sensor?
dont think your problem was caused by bad gas or lugging the engine, not to say that those things wont also trigger the check engine, but that code is fast becoming a problem for many SS owners,it means knock sensor open, meaning you have a open circuit, i tried everything possible to make that light go away, after 2 years i had my ECM tuned and had the knock sensor function disabled with the tune. Some people have changed the sensor and had the dealer clear the code and have had no further problem, i was not that lucky, but that would be a good place to start.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dont think your problem was caused by bad gas or lugging the engine, not to say that those things wont also trigger the check engine, but that code is fast becoming a problem for many SS owners,it means knock sensor open, meaning you have a open circuit, i tried everything possible to make that light go away, after 2 years i had my ECM tuned and had the knock sensor function disabled with the tune. Some people have changed the sensor and had the dealer clear the code and have had no further problem, i was not that lucky, but that would be a good place to start.
Thanks for the info. I guess it is the dealer, at least the first time around. At $125 hr it shouldn't be too much of a shock for a 1 to 1 1/2 hr job.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine went out 3 years ago. Cannot be reset without the magic dealer program. I bought a new one, but it was going to cost over $100 for labor to install it (way up in there so you need a lift to get to it) so I waited to see what would happen. After the third time I took it in to be reset (thankfully my dealer’s a decent guy & didn’t charge me), I just gave up and left the light on. Two of the times it went out I was sitting at a light, not moving, at idle, so I’m pretty sure it’s a bad sensor, not a knocking engine. As long as you use 90+ octane gas and don’t drive like an 18 year old, it shouldn’t be a problem. (And check the codes once in a while to be sure nothing else went wrong.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine went out 3 years ago. Cannot be reset without the magic dealer program. I bought a new one, but it was going to cost over $100 for labor to install it (way up in there so you need a lift to get to it) so I waited to see what would happen. After the third time I took it in to be reset (thankfully my dealer’s a decent guy & didn’t charge me), I just gave up and left the light on. Two of the times it went out I was sitting at a light, not moving, at idle, so I’m pretty sure it’s a bad sensor, not a knocking engine. As long as you use 90+ octane gas and don’t drive like an 18 year old, it shouldn’t be a problem. (And check the codes once in a while to be sure nothing else went wrong.)
I use 91 octane however this vehicle sat at the dealer for an unknown amount of time. It had 3/4 tank of gas when I bought it. That may have accounted for the error code. I will get the sensor checked at the dealer and the code reset. If it happens again perhaps I will ignore it also. I was under the impression the way to replace it is to remove the intake manifold as that sensor is buried but visible. Since this is a Chevy engine why don't the cars it is installed in have the same problem. Is this sensor unique to Polaris?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought the GM sensor and replaced it by removing the intake. It's really not that hard of a job.
My light went out after the 3rd or 4th drive and has been out ever since. Hopefully it stays out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts