Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm very happy to have found this thread. Exactly what I was looking for. I'm thinking about getting rid of my sport bike, since I pretty much never ride it anymore, and replacing it with a SS. The only reason I don't ride the bike is because I take my daughter, who is 2 1/2, to day care every day because it's a block off my drive to work. To ride the bike I have to take her to day care, go back home, gear up, then ride to work, then ride home, get the truck, and go pick her up. Too much hassle. Last summer (when she was a year and a half) my wife bought a RZR, and we strap her car seat into it and she loves it.

I believe that Colorado will not require a car seat, since it's classified as a motorcycle, but we do have a helmet law for anyone under 18. I'd be happy to get her a helmet and always have a 5-point car seat in there.

The question is, do the SS seat belts act like a normal car seat belt where you pull them all the way out, then they ratchet-retract to lock the car seat in place?
I see you are a smart man and only buying the SS for "practical reason" and is more covenant;)

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm very happy to have found this thread. Exactly what I was looking for. I'm thinking about getting rid of my sport bike, since I pretty much never ride it anymore, and replacing it with a SS. The only reason I don't ride the bike is because I take my daughter, who is 2 1/2, to day care every day because it's a block off my drive to work. To ride the bike I have to take her to day care, go back home, gear up, then ride to work, then ride home, get the truck, and go pick her up. Too much hassle. Last summer (when she was a year and a half) my wife bought a RZR, and we strap her car seat into it and she loves it.

I believe that Colorado will not require a car seat, since it's classified as a motorcycle, but we do have a helmet law for anyone under 18. I'd be happy to get her a helmet and always have a 5-point car seat in there.

The question is, do the SS seat belts act like a normal car seat belt where you pull them all the way out, then they ratchet-retract to lock the car seat in place?
The seat belt should hold the car seat in. My youngest has fallen asleep and it actually holds him somewhat upright even though he's wearing a heavy full face helmet. They come from the inside which is awkward, but it actually keeps him more upright. I just throw a booster seat in there for my youngest. I don't think it would be any help in a crash. I just don't want to give a cop a reason to bust my balls. All three got to pick out their own helmets.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Wait! if kids can't ride, should I not be riding in mine. cause I feel like a Kid Driving a Go Cart.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I haven't taken my 4yr old in mine but plan to soon. Will just be around the neighborhood but he will go nutz over it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I take my daughters 6&5 with me all the time. One at a time of course. I do not use a booster seat but do require helmet and seat belt.
Helmet is required but seat belt and booster seat is not due to MC classification for the state.
i don't like how high they are sitting when in a booster seat so I opted to not use it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have had 5 of the 13 Grandkids in mine and my daughter and brother-in-law have also driven it.

Also took my 91 year old dad for spin! If they can get in, wear a helmet and want a ride, I will take them! I feel it is much safer than a two wheeled motorcycle! But it still offers a lot of the excitement

·
Registered
38 Posts
I cannot or will not confirm or deny that damn near every kid within a mile of my house has begged for, and received, a ride around the neighborhood in my slingshot!!! Lets just say the kids love the slingshots!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This little gem of a comment made my day. A Slingshot post from 2014 brought a little happiness to the world today. #Coronavirus ... 9 foot piano... hilarious! :)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts