Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Would your neighbor say the same thing if you put your kid on the back of your motorcycle where he could lose his grip and fall off the back?
At least in the SS, he has a seatbelt, rails to hold on to, and a steel cage part way around him in a vehicle with Stability control, traction control and a pretty stable foot print to prevent rolling over. A motorcycle will fall off the kickstand, fall over at a red light, hit a patch of sand or salt and slide out from under you. Not going to happen in a SS.
I think he is much safer in a SS than on a motorcycle, a snowmobile, a RZR type vehicle.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
A neighbor told me I was crazy for putting my kids in my Slingshot, which got me thinking...

am I the only one that has/will put their kids in their SS?
Tell your neighbor to go lay an egg and come back to talk to you once he's done.
seriously!!!!!! I have a 5 1/2-year-old and you can bet that he will be with me in the slingshot as many times as he could or wants

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Your not the only one. My youngest will be driving in a year but if the SS would have been out when they were smaller I would have given them a ride but then I also used to pick my kids up at grade school from time to time on my MC as well. The neighbors also crapped their shorts when my son started mowing the lawn at 6 years old on our lawn tractor. I had to disable the seat interlock as he was not heavy enough to depress it fully.

I know I am not the norm though. I grew up on a farm. Was kicked in the head lots of times milking dairy cows when I was 8. Maybe that is the cause for what most of my neighbors would call crazy.

·
Registered
480 Posts
One of the ways I'm trying to justify the purchase is for my kids to get ride around in one. When my five year old son saw one of the sling shot videos' he tried to convince me that he could drive it.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
One of the ways I'm trying to justify the purchase is for my kids to get ride around in one. When my five year old son saw one of the sling shot videos' he tried to convince me that he could drive it.
Like anything, Tooth, just be careful.....That is when the kids are in the SS. When not go CRAZZZZZZY

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I'm guessing that because it's technically a motorcycle, child safety seats are not necessary?
Thank you all for the responses.

I'm sure most of you like me bought a SS so we can bring ours kids with us. I promised my wife I would never put my kids on 2 wheels, and i hated the look on my son's face every time I rode off without him!
I guess this thread was more of a sanity check!!
-------------------------------------------------
I use my booster seat because I think it improves the way the seat belt lays across their chest. Alos i had read a blurb regarding children in 2 seaters, on the NJ DMV website. It states : http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/safety-laws.php#Child-Car-Seat-Laws
  • Kids 8 years old and younger who weigh less than 80 pounds must ride in the backseat properly secured in a child safety seat or booster. If the vehicle does not have a backseat, the child may ride in the front while properly secured in an appropriate seat.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My daughter (38) has already taken mine for a ride and now I am taking most of the Grand kids on rides too. I have a good kids helmet and make sure they are strapped in. Drive slow in the back roads where I live, they love it! Youngest is 5 years old.

My Daughter does not have a "M" cert but can drive mine in the area I live since it is not on public roads, but she still wears a helmet. Seems like everyone wants a ride, even the non mortorcycle people!

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have an 11 year old boy that races go carts. He loves the passenger seat in the SS and I have taught him how to shift the gears for me while I am driving. Just in case when he grows up and gets his license, and ever ends up needing to drive a car in England and shifting with his left hand :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm very happy to have found this thread. Exactly what I was looking for. I'm thinking about getting rid of my sport bike, since I pretty much never ride it anymore, and replacing it with a SS. The only reason I don't ride the bike is because I take my daughter, who is 2 1/2, to day care every day because it's a block off my drive to work. To ride the bike I have to take her to day care, go back home, gear up, then ride to work, then ride home, get the truck, and go pick her up. Too much hassle. Last summer (when she was a year and a half) my wife bought a RZR, and we strap her car seat into it and she loves it.

I believe that Colorado will not require a car seat, since it's classified as a motorcycle, but we do have a helmet law for anyone under 18. I'd be happy to get her a helmet and always have a 5-point car seat in there.

The question is, do the SS seat belts act like a normal car seat belt where you pull them all the way out, then they ratchet-retract to lock the car seat in place?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts