Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got these in today.

When I start my stereo modification project ill start at new thread and keep it all in that thread. But I had to show off the replacements I got today!!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Please chronicle the full story. Is this on an SL or base model that you are adding stereo to?

I have those same speakers (5.25 front, 6.5 rear) in my Elise and loved them.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please chronicle the full story. Is this on an SL or base model that you are adding stereo to?

I have those same speakers (5.25 front, 6.5 rear) in my Elise and loved them.
I added the infotainment to my base. I installed it the day after i purchased the SS. I have the factory speakers installed. I am about to bolt in a JL M/400 4 channel marine amp. I haven't dug into the speaker boxes but I'm thinking since it only has a right and left speaker full frequency output from the radio that the crossovers are on the speakers. A little fine adjustment of the amp crossover will work so I can bridge the amp and run both sides. The speakers will drop to two ohm when i combine the 5.25" and the 4" together. That will be perfect for the bridged amp. I don't have any intention of hooking the 2.75" speaker up because both my 4" and 5.25 have that spectrum covered.

Reactions: Slingking

·
Registered
791 Posts
I added the infotainment to my base. I installed it the day after i purchased the SS. I have the factory speakers installed. I am about to bolt in a JL M/400 4 channel marine amp. I haven't dug into the speaker boxes but I'm thinking since it only has a right and left speaker full frequency output from the radio that the crossovers are on the speakers. A little fine adjustment of the amp crossover will work so I can bridge the amp and run both sides. The speakers will drop to two ohm when i combine the 5.25" and the 4" together. That will be perfect for the bridged amp. I don't have any intention of hooking the 2.75" speaker up because both my 4" and 5.25 have that spectrum covered.
Where are you going to put the amp? Take a pic of it if you would

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh my gosh! These will go in. But they wont fit quite right. You have to own a dremmel and a hammer and a magic lamp. As you can see I had to experiment for the good of the forum. It would have been so much easier if I had just went with a 5.25" that was 1.75" deep. But NO I wanted the C2 JLs ..

I had to open up the cabinet on the back side of the 5.25" I will have to patch it back. Shouldnt be an issue. Anyway. The middle is a freaking 3.5" and I ordered 4" so if you cut out ALL the plastic in the hole a 4" will fit. Then bend the tabs and drill the holes on the edges. Then you can center the grill. And it will work perfectly. I used coaxial speakers so I'm just leaving the 1" alone to fill the hole.

I can do the next one much faster but this one was a two night project. Just because I wanted to keep it stock looking. The 5.25" will have to be slid to side of the hole and use a 1/4" shim to space it out. Not much but enough to clear the back side.

Here are some pics. everything is all sealed up nice and tight now.

Reactions: Ss4473SL

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Oh my gosh! These will go in. But they wont fit quite right. You have to own a dremmel and a hammer and a magic lamp. As you can see I had to experiment for the good of the forum. It would have been so much easier if I had just went with a 5.25" that was 1.75" deep. But NO I wanted the C2 JLs ..

I had to open up the cabinet on the back side of the 5.25" I will have to patch it back. Shouldnt be an issue. Anyway. The middle is a freaking 3.5" and I ordered 4" so if you cut out ALL the plastic in the hole a 4" will fit. Then bend the tabs and drill the holes on the edges. Then you can center the grill. And it will work perfectly. I used coaxial speakers so I'm just leaving the 1" alone to fill the hole.

I can do the next one much faster but this one was a two night project. Just because I wanted to keep it stock looking. The 5.25" will have to be slid to side of the hole and use a 1/4" shim to space it out. Not much but enough to clear the back side.

Here are some pics. everything is all sealed up nice and tight now.

This is really starting to look great, are you going to Close the back with something? Or Are you going to leave it just like that

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is really starting to look great, are you going to Close the back with something? Or Are you going to leave it just like that
No I closed it up. Since it was an open speaker cabinet and not sealed I just used Gorilla Tape. I put it on the inside and covered it generously and one piece on the tunnel outside. When they met in the open area it was a done deal.

The box is ported where the speaker wire enters the cabinet.

Reactions: Eric and Joker

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
No I closed it up. Since it was an open speaker cabinet and not sealed I just used Gorilla Tape. I put it on the inside and covered it generously and one piece on the tunnel outside. When they met in the open area it was a done deal.

The box is ported where the speaker wire enters the cabinet.

I'm really impressed with your work, thank you so much for sharing

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have pulled the speaker wires from their respective corners back to the center. And pulled them into the space behind the stereo display. I then took the speaker connectors from the pods and converted them to RCA. JL amps can take speaker level and convert to line level. I will run the rca and amp power signal wire from display area down and hide it under plastic to the under side of the drivers seat. Then from that side ill run another shorter RCA and power wire to the other amp. I know the amp can get a power on signal from the RCA signal but i have had that to act flakey. I also attached a heavy sheathed 4 conductor wire to each speaker and ran them to under the drivers seat. I went ahead and mounted my sub amp under the passenger seat. The reason for the location is I can slide my seat forward and make any adjustment that may be needed from time to time. The sub amp is almost a set it and forget it. My amps are marine grade and I'm going to space them 1/2 inch off the floor so any water can flow under and past them. There is an amazing amount of space under each seat. Good airflow also. Ill have some pics later of the mounted amps.

Reactions: Mike Mtl

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I have learned from experience that my wife will shoot me in the back of the head if I take apart thing she likes .. The SS was her idea .

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I have pulled the speaker wires from their respective corners back to the center. And pulled them into the space behind the stereo display. I then took the speaker connectors from the pods and converted them to RCA. JL amps can take speaker level and convert to line level. I will run the rca and amp power signal wire from display area down and hide it under plastic to the under side of the drivers seat. Then from that side ill run another shorter RCA and power wire to the other amp. I know the amp can get a power on signal from the RCA signal but i have had that to act flakey. I also attached a heavy sheathed 4 conductor wire to each speaker and ran them to under the drivers seat. I went ahead and mounted my sub amp under the passenger seat. The reason for the location is I can slide my seat forward and make any adjustment that may be needed from time to time. The sub amp is almost a set it and forget it. My amps are marine grade and I'm going to space them 1/2 inch off the floor so any water can flow under and past them. There is an amazing amount of space under each seat. Good airflow also. Ill have some pics later of the mounted amps.
Im really looking forward to seeing and hearing the results.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well here is a few pictures of the inside without seats.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is the amp mounted to drive the speaker pods. I ran a heavy stranded 12/4 rubberized wire to each pod. This gave me a pair for each C2 speaker. That also would allow me to adjust the frequency cut off on each one. I ran a short power wire from the battery and I have the ground going under a seat bolt. I don't like much having the pods and amp working. I am going to do the subs later. It wont be hard to do now that I have signal and power and ground all under the drivers seat.

Reactions: RadioDR

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Here is the amp mounted to drive the speaker pods. I ran a heavy stranded 12/4 rubberized wire to each pod. This gave me a pair for each C2 speaker. That also would allow me to adjust the frequency cut off on each one. I ran a short power wire from the battery and I have the ground going under a seat bolt. I don't like much having the pods and amp working. I am going to do the subs later. It wont be hard to do now that I have signal and power and ground all under the drivers seat.

It is really looking good. Its nice to hear that there is room under the seats for the amps. Can you show a picture on how exactly you mounted them?

·
Registered
202 Posts

This looks like what my son would do because he is never satisfied with the original equipment. I don't mean that as a slam but only as how people like different setups.
I don't want to turn my SS into a project so I will keep things original and maybe tweak a little here and there.
I agree with everyone RABTECK nice work.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One quick question. Is everything you are installing waterproof?
Yes. Marine grade and my amps are even have a spacer on the floor to keep the amp up off the floor.

Reactions: jdskycaster

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
This is a cool thread and project what can you say about the wiring harness?

1 - 20 of 159 Posts