Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing some digging on the OEM tires, it appears they are re-branded Kenda Kaiser tires. There isn't much good news about these "budget" tires - mostly bad actually.

kr20_zm.jpg

Looks like I will have to replace them sooner than I thought. :(

Lots of burnouts are expected within the first 1000 miles - might as well get something out of them.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I doubt polaris would do have a tire company formulate a new compound. That would cost big $$$$ remember this thing at the price its at is a budget steal for what it is. Besides just because another compound is used doesn't make that tire good. Its a cheap brand and they simply just don't make top end performance tires.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Considering Kenda Kaiser tires sell for about $60 each, I can't imagine them formulating a special compound for the Slingshot. These are "budget" tires at best.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Didn't say anything about formulating a special compound. They have multiple compounds. Polaris can choose. Heck, they went though the trouble of a special mold for the sidewall. I think they could shoot a different compound that is available at Kenda.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The good news about them being crappy is that there's that much more room for improvement over what's already been reported.

Given the rate at which we're likely to go through rear tires, it would be nice to have a spare rear wheel and buy a pair at a time. If the rears wear about twice as fast, we could replace all four at the same time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Seems like Polaris wanted some traction and also wanted a tire that can be broken loose.

Their sale pitch is breaks loose tires in first three gears.

If the SS can drift around corners with acceleration added to the point of losing some traction for the drift.

Then by adding a lot more grip by going to a Nitto 555 super sticky tire.

Would the fun factor be diminished some, as drifting may not be possible any more.

That said, a stickier tire would make a lower 0-60 time.

And a quicker track time lap

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very valid point on the fun factor. If you love burning rubber in 3 gears with minimal tire adhesion then the stock tires are great. Personally I prefer more traction and performance with my SS -hooliganism be damned - at least until I turn the nannies off. :D

You will still be able to drift the beast regardless of tire but just like cars, some will be better than others. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts