Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I for one use the gauze oiled type filters because overall, they perform better than ANY paper filter in ALL conditions... Conditions like heavy fog in the a.m. and evening, and rainy conditions cause simple paper filters to become very asthmatic until they dry out fully. As far as the K&N oil filters, I use them for their ease of removal and they are at least as good if not better than stock, and less expensive as well.. K&N costs 7.00, where the OEM dealer filters is twice that price...

·
Registered
65 Posts
"Alpha Powersport just finished a bolt on air intake that added near 10hp and torque without a tune."

a 6% HP increase from simply changing an already well done air intake sounds too good to be true. Has anyone actually done this that may have been OCD enought to have a pre and post Dyno Chart (I may just post this question separately)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been around racers and racing for more than 50 years. Take a look at what they have on the engines in NASCAR, NHRA, TUDOR, IMSA and CAN-AM. They only run what works. Now take a look at price. a standard filter is $10 - $15. Good for 5,000 miles. One K&N is $50 - $70. The K&N is good for a "million mile guarantee". You will put 10 standard filters on in 50,000 miles. Math make much sense? Horsepower is made by cramming as much fuel and air in a space as fast as possible. K&N gets proven more flow. I don't say so, it is a fact. Ask racers. No, I don't have stock in K&N. I just know that they work, and I have always used them. Yes, I have one in that Corvette too.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
"Alpha Powersport just finished a bolt on air intake that added near 10hp and torque without a tune."

a 6% HP increase from simply changing an already well done air intake sounds too good to be true. Has anyone actually done this that may have been OCD enought to have a pre and post Dyno Chart (I may just post this question separately)
Are you talking about their $400.00 plus cold air intake?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have been around racers and racing for more than 50 years. Take a look at what they have on the engines in NASCAR, NHRA, TUDOR, IMSA and CAN-AM. They only run what works. Now take a look at price. a standard filter is $10 - $15. Good for 5,000 miles. One K&N is $50 - $70. The K&N is good for a "million mile guarantee". You will put 10 standard filters on in 50,000 miles. Math make much sense? Horsepower is made by cramming as much fuel and air in a space as fast as possible. K&N gets proven more flow. I don't say so, it is a fact. Ask racers. No, I don't have stock in K&N. I just know that they work, and I have always used them. Yes, I have one in that Corvette too.
As far as racing teams using K&N, well, one does tend to use a product when one is paid to do so. Additionally, professional racing engines are generally rebuilt on a very frequent basis and, as a result, are significantly less sensitive to the cumulative effect of reduced filtration. In fact, back in the days of carburetors, many racing engines ran with no filtration at all. On pure racing engines, the air filter exists not so much to filter out fine particles as is necessary on a street vehicle with an expected engine life in the hundreds of thousands of miles, but rather to provide a minimal level of filtration that stops only very large particulate matter.

Another filter test;
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
this is my second oil change at 6500 miles I use the AC Delco 457 gf the GF is a little longer because you can see by my picture when I took it out it's perfect

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
there is a K&N part number for the SS
if you goto the website for K&N search for 2015 Polaris and SS (NOT THE SL) and pick the only engine size

it will show up. its not the same part number as the Solstice one people were listing here.

PL-2415 is the part number

21 - 31 of 31 Posts