Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Just the Catalytic Converter

21K views 73 replies 24 participants last post by  slingshotdave 
#1 ·
Has anybody just removed the muffler and retained the catalytic converter? If so, am wondering how the Slingshot sounded, if any noticed reduced heat in the passenger compartment.

Thanks

Chris L.

#3 ·
No, the cat is where all the heat build up comes from. It would sound terrible.
Take the stock exhaust and cut off the cat and weld up a new piece of pipe and collector.
Freer flowing and good sound.
Oh yeah, and it wont cost you like 600 dollars or whatever it is for the exhausts theyre selling.

#8 ·
Easiest way is to just gut it. The exhaust pipe is short, the catalyst substrate is accessible from the top once you disconnect the flange from the manifold. Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the muffler. Take a long screw driver and simply pound and break apart the substrate. Make sure you get all the substrate, any screening and the fibermat removed. This is the easiest way.

#12 ·
Well the stock muffler has roughly a 2.50 inch inlet pipe, the inlet necks down to 2.0 inch in the muffler, autopsy pending. With that aside, to fit an aftermarket muffler on there properly, you would need to re-work the exhaust pipe with some u-bends to accommodate a different muffler.

#18 ·
I asked about the cat tube a long time ago, no vendors stepped up. I do recall one of the vendors claiming to be "designing" one and testing. But, like so many vendors who claim to be developing product, I ain't seen the finished version yet. Ya, I'd rather install a tube rather than have to take the cat to someone to air chisel out the guts.

#27 ·
Voiding warranties is trickier business than just doing something they don't like. If you had a system failure that's directly related to removing the cat (highly unlikely), then they could refuse your service. If they tried to back out on fixing power steering or suspension or whatever based on your removal of the cat, then they are in for a fun lawsuit.

#36 ·
More info on your design please? :)

#38 ·
2 things - scented gas additive - you have got to be kidding me - I would have answered sooner, but I had to get back off the floor - I feel out laughing- I want bacon please and not burnt:):):):):):);)
the other is
you have 5" clearance to the frame now - with that you have reduced it to what 2 1/2" - I hope you have a lift kit on that SS because the only thing you can run over is a dime or nickle with out hitting.:eek: use it as skid tube?

Doug

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
#39 ·
You aren't even close, it's 4 1/4 at the tips, and 1/2 inch lower at the lowest point, which you are looking at front and center in the photo. No it isn't lifted, and do you see a scrape on the pipe? That picture was taken after 3-weeks driving. You go ahead and keep sucking up exhaust fumes through the firewall, or better yet, build an exhaust that exits out the passenger side in front of the front tire! :rolleyes:

#40 ·
I'm not trying to be mean BUT Fact!- from the factory - 5" clearance - with stock wheels, from the bottom of the frame to the ground.
Fact - you said no lift kit.
Fact - the pic your showing is the front of the SS under the Trans.
Fact - The exhaust pipe looks to be standard 2 1/2 "
Fact - The front wheels are shorter in height then the rear one.
Now I know us Yanks have a stupid system of measurement - but even with our system - that comes out to 5" minus 2 1/2" = 2 1/2".

Now I didn't say you couldn't drive it - I just insinuated you don't have much clearance to work with. - and your roads are probably better than ours - you could not get over a speed bump down here - here in Ga we have a center crown in some of our roads from wear and tear of over 2" and being the rear wheel in the center of the road (the crown ) lifts the back end up the two front wheels will be in the trough = no clearance.at all.
So all I can say is - May all your roads be flat and level and that you run over nothing larger than an apple.

Doug

Ps - I don't sit in the passenger seat - and I don't sit still for more than is required to be in motion again - and what about all the cars around you ( when that happens )??? and the smell only lasts while sitting still.

#41 ·
I'm constantly amused by those that think they have it figured out, so I won't waste a lot of time here.

Fact - 5 inch clearance refers to the lowest point
Fact - It isn't 2 1/2-inch pipe

You make a lot of assumptions my friend. You have no idea about the roads I drive, I live in a rural area. Furthermore, cars around you go away, your own exhaust is creeping through the firewalls many holes all the time. Have fun with that.:D

#42 ·
Fact - 5" was stated by Polaris across whole bottom.
Fact - your not saying what the pipe size is - I said the standard was 2 1/2" is what was used in the header pipe going into the stock cat
Fact - your pipe is mounted under the frame - so what size is it - you probably don't know. You didn't make it or install it - you just paid ed for it.

"Kctay" I don't care how you amuse yourself:) - even stock SS's have clearance problems and you say you don't - so keep your head in the clouds and your ear plugs in and the music turned up LOAD so you can't hear the scraping noises.

Doug

#43 · (Edited)
You are confused, you just said the front tires / wheels were shorter than the rear, so how could the underside be consistently 5 inches of ground clearance? Furthermore, I built the system myself, I own, and operate the oldest custom exhaust shops in the Northwest, 5 of them. So run along now. You are probably already feeling the effects of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. :confused:

#44 ·
It's the way the suspension is set up - to keep a level attitude to the handling of the SS - you maybe able to weld pipe ( I'm certified a high pressure pipe welder in Ga ) but you still haven't given me the facts - pipe size - hung under the frame - frame 5" the under side to the ground
Whats left????? you give no facts - you just have delusions of ground clearance.

Doug

#45 ·
Look Doug, the clearance under the SS is not consistently 5-inches, that is the minimum ground clearance. The pipe is 409 stainless, 2 1/4-inch. Knowing that, you can't calculate my ground clearance. You don't even know where the flat spots are in the pipe, and how deep. I have had my SS in the air 100 times, I know the underside of this vehicle.

I travel over speed bumps every day on the way to work, I don't breathe in exhaust fumes, and I drive on crowned, rural roads for two thirds of my daily commute. It works for me. I have been building custom exhaust for 40 years, and you? :shifty:

#46 ·
Okay 2 1/4" - are the flat sides on top or bottom - this picture doesn't show any flat sides at the frame.

Your still dodging the question whats the clearance from the lowest bottom of the exhaust pipe to the ground or is that where the flat sides are from bottoming out:)

Doug:)

#47 ·
I going to save you the trouble an say I'm an Asshat:asshat: but inquiring minds want to know.:)

Doug:)

#50 ·
I love it!!!!!!!! Shack

I'm still laughing

Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.