Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Their is no rushing it and with time, and care the end product is amazing! With that said I wanted to keep all of you in the loop of things so you don't feel left in the dark.

It's taken longer than I would like to release products but our team is very anal about perfection. The coil covers are a great example. We cut out the first batch ( 50 pcs ) Then realized that we wanted two of the tabs at a slightly different angle like .0001 mm difference so we scrapped that batch, went back to the 3D model made some changes and cut out another batch.

The spacers under the cover could have easily been cut with a simple tool but NOOO Andy had to make a jig cut them then made another jig for the CNC machine and had the CNC machine finish the top so they are all the same length and the tolerance is spot on! Then Andy stayed up till 4am to hand deburr each piece.

Spacers being finished on the CNC
jig.jpg

cover3.jpg

So please bear with us as we truck along :)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Practicing the lost art of fine American craftsmanship. Great to see that it is alive and well. BTW, when are we going to get some snow here? :)
YES! All of us here at Alpha are fairly young but it was the old timmers that helped and guided us so that we have the knowledge that we do. It's our honor to carry out that tradition and pass it on.

Snow gezzz I was lucky with the last dumping to get the crappy old sled out and bang some ditches. Im hoping for some good snow soon. No slingshot, no snow, just enough crap on the roads I drive my fun car im going nuts! I think a couple of us are headed to the UP after Christmas if you want to come too!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I think a couple of us are headed to the UP after Christmas if you want to come too!
Really appreciate the invite but this year the entire family will be spending the holiday's in McKinney, TX at my brother's house. I am hoping it will not be a white Christmas in Dallas this year! Actually looking forward to driving his latest toy while I am down there (no, its not a slingshot).

Hoping for some snow here by the time we get back. Would love to see the trails open up locally.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really appreciate the invite but this year the entire family will be spending the holiday's in McKinney, TX at my brother's house. I am hoping it will not be a white Christmas in Dallas this year! Actually looking forward to driving his latest toy while I am down there (no, its not a slingshot).

Hoping for some snow here by the time we get back. Would love to see the trails open up locally.
Sounds good. Well when the trails open here I'll meet up with ya!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Then realized that we wanted two of the tabs at a slightly different angle like .0001 mm difference so we scrapped that batch, went back to the 3D model made some changes and cut out another batch.
I hope that's a typo and you didn't really scrap parts for such a microscopic error.

Multiply by a thousand (.1 mm = .004 in.) and it's still a rather tight tolerance given the part's function.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts