Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From an engineering standpoint, anyone think that scissor doors, like those on a lamborghini, would work on the SS? Just sitting around drinking and thinking...

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
I'm no engineer, but enough money and talent can take you anywhere. I'm only half way through my first "8 seconds black."

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only a couple drinks, really! I was just watching that hologram Lamborghini video in the 'real info about delivery' thread and remembered someone mentioned making some kind of doors for the SS. Maybe there could be some mount point for a swivel under where the mirror mounts and a door could be made to fit?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Only my second post but I think there is a LOT that can and will be done with this platform. My current job (product development manager in the automotive accessories industry) allowed me a chance to look one over this past week at SEMA and it's got my mind thinking of all kinds of cool stuff.... Looks like I'll be selling my current toy very soon and purchasing one for this reason......

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Nope.... Kind of an old aviation buff.... The Ruptured Duck was one of 16 B-25s that flew off the deck of the USS Hornet in Doolittle's raid in 1942. I started to us the name back on Jeep forums because that was what I called my 77 CJ7 rock crawler... She was painted the same as that B-25... Including nose art, red prop line and nose art. Also had over 850 hand painted rivets... Do miss that old girl. Just like the real bird my ruptured duck was always patched up for the next hard run...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
As for the doors... I did look at the bolting points for the side mirrors. If substantial I can see a light door design working. Funny your mind went there because this is something I think has merit for those non-motorcycle people.... Can't tell you how well tube doors sell for the Jeep. Don't want to giveaway ideas yet but I think even a soft top is possible if done correctly.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
Nope.... Kind of an old aviation buff.... The Ruptured Duck was one of 16 B-25s that flew off the deck of the USS Hornet in Doolittle's raid in 1942. I started to us the name back on Jeep forums because that was what I called my 77 CJ7 rock crawler... She was painted the same as that B-25... Including nose art, red prop line and nose art. Also had over 850 hand painted rivets... Do miss that old girl. Just like the real bird my ruptured duck was always patched up for the next hard run...
That actually sounds really cool.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Most of the attachment points will be on a tube frame so it will just depend on how much structure you want in your doors (i.e. how heavy). I also see some folks wanting some sort of "door" like the RZR doors. Makes people "feel" safer even though they really aren't - much like Jeep tube doors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts