Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my JRI 2 way adjustable clicker shocks at my 500 mile.
Was on the fence between these and the Grand Touring as I do not track or autocross but do like to drive through the corners as why have a SS. Since these shocks have 65 or so settings I started out with a mid way setting of 40 clicks from max + or 26 clicks from max -. This felt fine but still a tad stiff on the country roads I ride. I then changed to around 15 clicks from max soft (-) setting. According to JRI 15 clicks from max + would be like the Sport Shocks and 55 clicks from max + would be like the Grand Touring so I am a tad stiffer than the GT's and think I have found the sweet spot for me. May go down a few more clicks like the GT and see and will report on that setting but this one is very mild and smooths out the bumps very well. The SS feel far more planted than with the stock shocks and like the shocks. Looking back, I would have been happy with the GT's for less money but I did not want to be disappointed and now I can play with the shocks if I ever decide to get serious about the corners. One thing I will add. Upon changing to these JRI's I did notice a noise when the road transitions to lower solid pavement and it is a noise that sounds like something is hitting or something scraped. I know it is not scraping but it is a definite audible noise like it bottomed out but know it did not. Can't seem to figure it out but only happens when the front drops an inch or tow to different pavement. Will continue to monitor to see if I can tell what is happening..

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update.-JRI's CAN and DO make noise when hitting certain road conditions.
Have put a few more miles on my JRI's and have found out some interesting aspects of these shocks.
First, these do handle much better than the stock shocks. They will handle road imperfections and smooth out rough sections that had the stock shocks bouncing all over. However and there is a However, when transitioning to pavement that drops down 1-2" like coming out of of a drive or coming off a bridge section the will make a loud BAM sound. It is like the rim is hitting on the pavement and will scare the ---- out of you until you understand what it is. Now, this does not happen often and takes a certain road condition but it DOES happen to mine and others. The reason why the JRI is better at the track than most others at this price point is that they use no internal bump stops or anything that will interfere with great handling and feel. Only solid components and when you drop off a grade to a lower grade the shock is trying to keep contact with the road and extends downward very fast to maintain contact and over extends or bottoms and that is the sound you are hearing. JRI says it can understand what may be causing the BAM and that it is not harming the shock but says it is not common. However, there are certain places I ride where I can guarantee I will hear the BAM.
I have four other vehicles including a built classic '66 Mustang and none of them do this at the same places.
Now, as I have said the shock is great for 99% of my rides but when it does BAM it is scary.
If I had it to do over I may have chosen the Bilsteins as I do not think they are constructed like the JRI and most likely have some type of bump stop or a softening to keep the immediate transitioning loud sound from happening.
For track, I do not doubt that the JRI are a top choice but for an average rider maybe not.
Both the Maker and Seller of the JRI say they have not heard of this happening and the seller advised going back to the installer who was a Polaris SS dealer. However, since Polaris does not sell the JRI they will say they do not know or sell the JRI only the Bilstein and there is nothing I can do but go back to the maker or seller. The maker and seller say that this is not normal however I am NOT the only person to experience this BAM in both the 1 and 2 way JRI shocks and as a buyer I am left with shocks that can be less than pleasant at times.
I am not saying the JRI are not great shocks only on some conditions they can really get your attention and JRI says that this hitting against itself will not harm the shocks and some with the BAMS have over 20,000 on them but very annoying when it happens on a ride or just pulling out of your drive.
I am documenting this only to give some thought for future buyers so they understand the great and not so great points of the JRI shocks. As with all things there is usually a trade off and no free ride.
Maybe there is a reason why Polaris puts the Bilsteins on the SLR LE machines....

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Something that I find interesting is that nobody before said anything about this issue, but after you breached the subject they are now coming forth? It causes me to pause where apparently these shocks are getting fully extended basically under improved road conditions? A good share of our riding are on rougher back roads and if we had to listen to such metal to metal contact clashing together on these outings would be nerve racking, especially after paying such a premium price.. I am disappointed in hearing this but now I can make a more informed decision, thank you for the honest observations.

Bill

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bill,
Regular rough roads do not cause an issue. However going out of my drive even slowly with only a 2" 45 degree drop it BAMS and coming into my street where the payment goes down about 1.5" it BAMS.
Someone else on a shock noise post posted that it did it on his 1 way transitioning off a bridge from higher to lower...
I though at first that mine may be faulty but neither the maker or seller offered any recourse so I am left that this is an aspect of JRI shocks... Yeah, after almost 2 grand, I too am disappointed.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,161 Posts
Something is wrong in your set-up, mine don't bang and I have had them on since 3/15 never rebuilt them yet. There are probably the most sold shock on the ss and you don't hear these complaints. If you have never had a racing type shock before then you probably wont understand the differences. I am not directing this at the OP, just the general reader that would read the two top posts and think JRI are a bad system. The first two years at Maggie Valley, Alpha did free install on them and if you didn't like them they would put your old ones back on. I didn't hear of one person that did that, out of all those installs.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wing,
I hear you as mine are great on regular or even bumpy roads which there are many around me.
I had them installed and drove 40 miles back and never had an issue until entering my street with a 1-2" sharp step down and heard the BAM. It also does it going out of my drive with a 2" step down and my wife heard it from 40 feet away. On most every regular roads there is no issue and I stated that 99% of the time they are great shocks. On my "anyone get noise from shocks" post, JerriEric posted that his bang like hell after a bridge.
I am sure your shocks are great as mine are 99% of the time and I as you thought something must be wrong.
I looked at the shocks and even checked the torque of the bolts and all is good. There can not be anything else but the shock itself OR this is indeed an issue with these shocks. I understand racing shocks and know to expect a more solid feel and more NV with track shocks however have not experienced the loud noise before on shocks that are NOT faulty. That is why I called JRI and talked to Marty and also corresponded with Will at Slingmods and both said they have never experienced that before but neither offered to exchange or check them out so I am left with the fact that either JRI's do exhibit this symptom in certain conditions or I have a faulty shock and no one will step up. I see no other explanation....

·
2,333 Posts

With respect @Oldchuck to claim the condition you are experiencing is inherent to JRI shocks which are used on countless applications and on hundreds of Slingshots over several years of use is false ....

Do you have a specific condition that may cause a noise you are not familiar with due to the shocks solid mounting (rather than shocks with rubber buffers) ..... maybe but doubtful ..... could there be something amiss with one of your shocks.... certainly.... could one of the shock bushings be the wrong size causing the shock to "bang" on the mounting bolt ....should be checked ...... has it been isolated to a specific shock, this would help in figuring out what is wrong.... because rather that what has been alluded this is not normal and to state they all do it is spreading misinformation ....

To me this statement says it all ...

I called JRI and talked to Marty and also corresponded with Will at Slingmods and both said they have never experienced that before
Do you have the ability to take a quick phone video of the problem .... if you do and can post it I can guarantee we can get you a better answer from one or both vendors ...

@SlingMods ... @SlingMods_Josh .... @JRiShocks

.... :bag:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Orange,
What you say makes sense but I did say it appears to be either inherent to the shocks OR a faulty shock but will pull them off and check everything out. If I have the condition and JRI or the vendor have never seen this before then it would appear something is amiss. However JerriEric did say his do the same thing.
I will try to isolate the issue and take a vid with audio and try to post and also try to isolate one or both shocks.
I did not think the top and lower bushings would go into the others holes and the shocks are mounted in the direction I have seen on countless installs( threads up and clicker down) but will do some diligence and try to find out what may be happening.

I do not want to spread negative or wrong information but was out of ideas after contacting the maker and seller and did not know what else to do after I checked the shocks and the install seemed good and there is NO movement in the shock area. Also made me think when another poster had the same issue. However will try to get a vid and audio of the sound but may take me a day or so but will do and let folks know what I find.

I do appreciate the feedback and information and just want to get to the bottom of what may be happening.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Mine did this from day one but I never notified jri. I just thought it was normal. I have about 25k on them now and will go to another Mfgr Next time. Don't want clickers because I would probably never be happy with a specific setting. Like my Goldwing air suspension, set it and forget it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will try to post a phone vid with audio today at some point and will try to pull the shocks to check the bushings out tomorrow.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can someone instruct me how to post a phone vid or an e-mail in a message here?
I have it on a phone and an e-mail as well.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure if this will work but if you go to U tube and search for Chuck's Slingshot. You should see me in an Electric Blue SS and the sound should come through and you can hear the bang.
If this does not work let me know.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
If the above does not work try this link:

In going back and reviewing your posts, Chuck, it appears that JRI is offering conflicting information in which on one hand they are telling you that your situation is unique, but on the other hand they are saying that they know why it is happening?

Oh, and yes, that noise would bug the heck out of me. If this is the nature of the beast with high performance shocks, like other folks have indicated, thanks again for bringing it to our attention.

Bill

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bill,
Hope the sound came out enough to hear on the vid. The faster you go the louder it is..
On JRI, when I told them what the sound sounded like to me they talked about several things that could cause it. They did not say it was common but only discussed what might cause that sound. They were very receptive as was Slingmods. I am going to pull the shocks tomorrow to make sure all the bushings are as they should be but I can not see any problem from the outside but will do as Orangeman suggested and cover all my bases.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jerri,
I will keep everyone up to date on any discussions or info on the issue. Hopefully, as Orangeman posted the vendors will weigh in on what the vid shows in the way of the BAM noise when I exit my drive at even a slow speed.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Can you mount a camera in the back and record the shock when it happens? See the travel and hear the sound at the same time. Might be interesting.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts