Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with Bill and ordered my turbo today. Seen the 3 gauge setup Hahn has and have been looking at different gauge setups in everyone's pics here and there over the last few months. I have a few weeks to decide on which 1 i am going with. So anyone that has gauge setups would appreciate it if you would post some pics and feedback on which ones your using. trying to get ideas for the different options before i purchase.

Thanks

·
Registered
557 Posts
I also have the innovate gauges and the air/fuel gauge does not illuminate as much as the boost gauge. Does anyone else have this problem with the innovtae air/fuel gauge? It looks like wingshot has this issue looking at the gauges.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
WHAT HAPPENED HERE?
2,221 Posts
Dyno Tune boost gauge and LC2 Wideband Air/Fuel gauge...back lit blue to match the factory gauges and WATERPROOF!!!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Gauges are nice, but you don't (shouldn't) look at them while driving, what is more important is logging!

Not sure how people get along without logs, but especially with the suspect construction of these engines, you should be checking logs almost immediately after driving your turbo'd sling.

Amazon.com: AEM 30-4900 Wideband Failsafe Gauge: Automotive
20160227_232000.jpg

This allows you to graph AFR, boost, RPM, and much much more. You can view two parameters at once in one gauge. I have boost set to the exterior LED bar and AFR in the digital center readout. Set them to whatever you like. The software is easy to use, you can pull logs off with a USB cable included to any laptop (2 hours worth). This will also allow you to share logs if you are having issues or just to monitor the safety of your engine while under boost. You can set warning levels, and even set your motor to shut down if it falls out of spec, if you were so inclined (I don't).

I'm not saying you should get this gauge, it's pricier, but you should not be driving a turbo without logs, especially given imperfections in engine build quality and the various things that can be missed installing the systems.

@RABTECH @iNewton myself and a few others are using this gauge and could help you along.

Cheers

·
Registered
873 Posts
Here is a write up I did some time ago to help out with this question:

Gauge instalation tutorial (and parts list)

Boost and AFR gauge is a must. IMO the AEM one is the best stand alone solution, because you get Boost, AFR and RPM logging in one gauge.

If you are not logging, your gauge is useless or close to it. There is no way you can keep an eye out on your gauges enough while driving to detect issues.

Note that the MTX-D series also have a logger available (the PL1 : PL-1: Pocket Logger, Innovate MTS Datalogger )
So you could use the Innovate Boost controller - AFR gauge (SCG-1 Solenoid Boost Controller Gauge) with other Innovate MTX-D gauges, and hook them up to to the PL1, that would give you the best logging details possible.

So it all depends how far you want to push you setup, and how much $$ you want to put in the gauges.

IMO in order of importance: Boost (must log with RPM), AFR (must log with RPM), Oil Pressure, Water Temp, Oil Temp, Injector voltage

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WingShot are those the setup from cycle springs?

jookyone i didn't think about that, I like the idea about the logging, i have dynojet power vision on my harley that can tune and log and is nice feature being able to plug into it and see everything.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
iNewton thanks for the write up gonna read it in detail. Bill did mention there set holds 3 gauges. he uses AEM Failsafe gauge that shows both boost and air/fuel ratio, then coolant temp and oil pressure the only thing i didn't like was the way it was mounted on top of the dash were it slopes I'm short and might need some padding to see over. lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Macaws, Any idea how high above the front of the dash your setup sticks up?

So far i'm leaning for the Aem Gauges just got to decide on mount i like the pics of on the side of the steering column kind of hidden. wonder if 1 of those pillar mount for gauges will fit between steering column and center console

·
Registered
873 Posts
This is how I setup my gauges:
image.jpeg

I used autometer gauge pods to install mine.

The boost gauge in the back of the steering is hard to see.

I am working on a pod design to install 3 gauges to the windshield post, not finished yet.

·
I have moved on!
2,899 Posts
Thanks Macaws, Any idea how high above the front of the dash your setup sticks up?

So far i'm leaning for the Aem Gauges just got to decide on mount i like the pics of on the side of the steering column kind of hidden. wonder if 1 of those pillar mount for gauges will fit between steering column and center console
I can get you some better pictures and measurements later today if you like. But it is not in your field of view, the only thing I may have done differently is move them forward a bit. But I am very happy with them and like having OIL and Water as well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is how I setup my gauges:
View attachment 45483

I used autometer gauge pods to install mine.

The boost gauge in the back of the steering is hard to see.

I am working on a pod design to install 3 gauges to the windshield post, not finished yet.

iNewton, what is the square with the s on it next to the radio? Thats were i was thinking for the pillar gauge setup since don't use key unless the keyless quite. Also where can i get a radio bezel like that i am working on install a pioneer double din now and need something.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I can get you some better pictures and measurements later today if you like. But it is not in your field of view, the only thing I may have done differently is move them forward a bit. But I am very happy with them and like having OIL and Water as well.
I like the 3 gauges just not sure being short if it'll be in my way. I'm guessing it sticks up between 2-1/2 to 3" in the mount

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
Another logging system is Mefiburn that Bob uses to help in setting up your ECU. Since he is programming it's easy for him to do your tune.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Another logging system is Mefiburn that Bob uses to help in setting up your ECU. Since he is programming it's easy for him to do your tune.
Its not usefull for everyday use.

1) it doesn't tell you about boost if you have the 1 bar map sensor. With the 2 bar sensor, I am not sure it reports the data with the right numbers.
2) it uses the narrowband o2 for afr which is not precise enough.
3) it needs a full laptop and running application to function.
4) its very hard to navigate thru the log to see what is going on
5) logging time is limited and you have to start it manually everytime you turn on the vehicule.

It does give you more data like throttle position, spark timing and much much more but Its just not practical for everyday use.

The data is good for a tuner who understands this stuff, but you dont need to monitor spark advance and throttle position, engine load etc for normal driving. You only check these things if you get issues when you drive.

·
I have moved on!
2,899 Posts
I like the 3 gauges just not sure being short if it'll be in my way. I'm guessing it sticks up between 2-1/2 to 3" in the mount
Jay I am 5'7" and have PRP seats which I think are lower than stock and I don't have an issue. I personally prefer my gauges right in front of me so I not distracted looking off to the side to view them. These are personal preferences.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Macaws, I'm 5'4" and my prp seat will be here end of week i hope there not lower cause i might have to get thicker bottoms made. With stock seats i am looking slightly looking over the front of the dash. Quess i'll have to wait on my seats

·
Registered
939 Posts
PRP seats sit about 1" lower than the stock seats. I'm 6'3" so every inch lower is better in my case. May want to make some type of spacer between seat bottom and mounting rails.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here a pic of the view (of what i see) with the stock seats, I did some measurements and the gauges should be about 1/2 way between the support bar and the lower hinge on the door. If the prp seats are an inch lower i won't be able to see the hood. LOL Maybe i better order another set of seat bottoms for the prp's a few inches thicker or the spacer idea.

Side note what's everyone running for a rear tire i still have stock which won't last long. Looking for something stock wheel but maybe a little wider.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts