Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JL Audio has stepped into the Polaris Slingshot audio game with their new loaded Stealthbox front speaker enclosures. These Stealth Series Front Kick Pods are constructed of 100% fiberglass and formed to hug your side frame rails with the included hardware kit. Each sealed enclosure houses the JL M Series 7.7" marine component system. The larger diameter of the 7.7" mid bass driver throws out sub like bass levels and the 1" pure silk dome tweeter projects crystal clear highs for an unparalleled sound. JL Audio has also designed and engineered a very stylish Passenger & Driver Fiberglass Subwoofer enclosure for the Polaris Slingshot. The JL Stealthbox is a sealed enclosure and is equipped with a single 10" inch JL Audio 10W3v3 4 ohm subwoofer with a 500watt handling capacity. Pair this sub with the JL Audio Front Speaker Pods for exceptional sound that is sure to set your Sling apart from the pack.

More information about JL Audio Front Speaker Pods can be found here: Polaris Slingshot Stealthbox Front Speaker Pods & Marine Speakers by JL Audio

More information about JL Audio Sub Enclosure can be found here: Polaris Slingshot Stealthbox Subwoofer Enclosure by JL Audio

·
Welcome to the Grey Bar Bed and Breakfast.
694 Posts
I bought them and then I tried to put them in my 2015 model I'm pretty confident you'll see that information updated pretty shortly because they do not fit the 2015 model for sure :-(
These pods are for pre order and are not out yet from @SlingMods. Perhaps they have figured out a way to get them to work. Who knows? I saw on the JL site they note they are for 17 and newer. Hopefully they address the issue on their site before too many are ordered.

·
Registered
57 Posts
They Are on pre order from sling mods but you can buy them now on JL audio. I did but again they will not fit the twentye 15 model and most likely not the twentye 16 either if your sling has cross member bars behind the speaker's these will not work there's no cut-outs for cross member bars in the fiberglass

·
Administrator
3,006 Posts
Here's the thing: It's an open-cockpit vehicle, so there's no "building up sound pressure" and as such the sound reproduction is always going to be sub-par.

First, everyone wants bass. You're not going to get it. There's simply not enough enclosure volume available to produce the deep bass most people want. Second, anything below about 63 Hz is drown out by wind noise, so the bigger alternator, battery capacitors, huge amps, and monster subs: it's all a waste. Unless you're trying to blast tunes at a parking lot and put awesome underlighting in to match, go with mid-bass drivers.

Second, all the quality in the world isn't worth it. Any road noise at all is going to drown out the sparkling quality of the drivers, and the Slingshot is a pretty crappy enclosure to have high-end drivers in as far as sound goes (though fun-factor is a different story). So go with modestly priced drivers.

Third, mid-range and tweeters do something called "beaming," meaning they direct the signal more in a straight line than a curve--so all those drivers aimed straight out are shooting sound at the transmission hump, and that's reflected into your legs and outside the Slingshot, not to your ears. Well-designed enclosures aim the sound "up," kind of hitting the person they're next to, but mainly shooting it toward the opposite side, which balances out the sound pretty well. This results in collisions of sound waves, so there's distortion created.

About that distortion: There are two solutions: Buy medium price equipment and don't worry about it, which is probably the best solution. The other option takes a pretty skilled technician and a bunch of audio tuning equipment, along with a parametric equalizer. In simple terms, the audio technician sits in the Slingshot and tunes the system so all the sounds come together at the same time in a harmonic fashion. Then they add a passenger and repeat the process, storing both programs in the system so the driver can pick the appropriate setup.

With mid-range equipment and not much work, you have music up to about 55 MPH if using the stock pods, 65 MPH with aftermarket pods. If you put in a mid-range system and tune it to the Slingshot, you're still going to have music to about 65 MPH, and the lyrics will be at best a guess because of wind noise, but it'll sound "reasonably good."

As a note, inexpensive Chinese head units suck. I joined a Jeep forum because they were pushing the limits of Chinese head unit development, and about three years in it all fell apart. The head units are built cheaply (hence the reasonable prices) and can't withstand the vibration of being in a Jeep. The Slingshot has that plus a heat buildup in the dash area, so they not only vibrate internal connections to death, but cook them along the way. I therefore put a headless Bluetooth system in the rear deck that connects to my phone, and it works great in my opinion, plus stealing it would mean stealing the entire Slingshot. Food for thought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.