Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just remembered that my dealer said that CA SS's would have higher MSRP because of different requirements.

I imagine that would relate to emissions/catalytic converters, which I've seen no info about yet.

Anyone know anything about this?

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Are other motorcycles higher priced in CA? If not then they might be finding ways to charge more profit.

·
Registered
532 Posts
California will be tacking on a Emissions Fee
to the price. Haven't heard the $$ yet.
Not sure what would happen if a person from California
bought a SS out of State, what they would say.
Or if they would disallow it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
California will be tacking on a Emissions Fee
to the price. Haven't heard the $$ yet.
Not sure what would happen if a person from California
bought a SS out of State, what they would say.
Or if they would disallow it.
A motorcycle that doesn't meet California emissions standards (but meets US standards) can be registered in California only if it has at least 7500 miles on the odo. There are exceptions for residents moving in from out-of-state.

CA DMV has become hard-nosed about this. I have no personal experience, but one rider I know bought a used out-of-state motorcycle and tried but failed to register it. The old trick of finding a less-aware DMV office didn't work because the VIN had been flagged.

"Don't do it" is the common advice in motorcycle forums.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Calif. has different requirements than everywhere else in US.

Motorcycles i have seen have more vacuum tubes and a charcoal can for vapors, that was the only difference i have seen, but they were charging $500 for the smog crap, and $5000 for taxes,

I am glad i dont pay ANY Sales tax in Oregon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
California's price is jacked up because of CARB requirements

CARB requirements is nothing more then a tax the company pays to sell the vehicle there... think of it as a carbon tax i have no idea where that money goes :|

·
Registered
10 Posts
California does indeed have stricter emissions rules for motorcycles. Fuel vapor from the gas tank is captured, and per-mile tailpipe emissions of CO, HC, and NOx are slightly lower than US requirements.

I'm not posting to defend the rules, only to point out that there are real costs in engineering and parts that affect price.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
The Ecotec motor has been tested and met CA admission standards on heavier cars already, so I'm hoping that hasn't caused any hiccups in distribution in CA.

Otherwise, the Slingshot is approved in almost every state so far and nearly ever Canadian province, and what little needs to be done to get them approved should be over soon.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Yeah, but we don't even know if the SS has a catalytic converter. CARB would consider it a different animal if not.

·
Registered
82 Posts
it probably does have one, the engine itself was designed with one in mind.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The ECU might care about the cat but the engine itself could care less.
The ECU no doubt required a few changes for the SS and a 'no cat' version would be easy to do.
(I designed ECUs for a living)

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm pretty sure California State will have a Catalytic converter and a sticker saying that it pass EPA. Any motorcycle after 2013 cannot modify muffler or make surpass certain db. noise. Next is smog test for motorcycles in California. California broke like a piggy bank.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If they
Any motorcycle after 2013 cannot modify muffler or make surpass certain db. noise. Next is smog test for motorcycles in California.
If you don't have to go in for a smog test you can do what you want as long as it's not loud enough enough to draw undue attention.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If they

If you don't have to go in for a smog test you can do what you want as long as it's not loud enough enough to draw undue attention.
A better, and proven idea that really works!
STAY THE HELL OUT OF CALIFORNIA!!!
Works for me:D:D:D:D:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts