Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Is the slingshot dependable for every day use?

19K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  PhantomX 
#1 ·
As stated in title, is this vehicle dependable for every day use? I live in Florida, in the summer it rains often, also I don't have a garage and live in a condo, so the parking lots are shared. I am considering getting one. I feel like my car is giving me its last few kicks and am considering in selling it and using the money as a down payment for a slingshot. but will it last me as long as a car? I don't drive far. I probably drive about 7 miles a day. weekends maybe 15-20 miles. as far as rain goes I can just use weather gear, I don't mind... but when it rains it pours. It's never light rain. Is hydroplaning a common problem? Does this hydroplane more than a 4 wheeled vehicle? If I buy this and it ends up being a money pit my wife is gonna kill me :blackeye:.

#2 ·
Yes it hydroplanes. There are several threads here regarding that. You have to remember that the 1 drive wheel rides in the center of the road where cars tires don't. Sometimes this is good because it stays out of the ruts and standing water. BUT if there is standing water, then you have to worry about the front tires. The thing is a tripod. If you kick one leg out, it falls over. You need all three wheels planted firmly to stay in control. You can mitigate your risk by not driving like an idiot when it's raining :) and getting good all weather tires. Performance "grippy" tires don't work so hot in the rain. It has been a problem for some. There have been a few stories posted of people spinning out on the freeway. Scary stuff.

It looks like you don't have far to drive to work. I say it would be a great daily for you. Get some rain gear and a cockpit cover. Be prepared to pull over or park it under an overpass occasionally when you get a heavy downpour.

Welcome to the forum. Try doing some searching up in the search box for hydroplane or aquaplane.

#5 ·
From your description my money is on the side of - your wife is gonna kill you. I have driven mine in the rain a couple times and not by choice. It's really no different than riding an MC in the rain because there are two things that are gonna happen. You will get wet and you have to slow down and be much more attentive to conditions. It will hydroplane easier than a car because it weighs next to nothing compared to any sports car I have ever owned but then some of this depends entirely on the rubber you run on your car and the SS is not immune to this either. If you run rubber that is optimized for dry hot asphalt and it rains your traction will suffer and its not the fault of the vehicle - car, cycle or three wheeler.

As for a top. It will help keep the sun off and may add minimal protection in the even of rain but in an absolute downpour it won't be of much help at all. As for longevity? The jury is out as there are a few people with 50K miles on the drive train and it has held up but there are also some that have had nothing but problems before even hitting 5K miles. Its a toy. Has to be treated as such and if you are worried about losing half of your money invested in one then I would not buy it. Specifically if your wife is prone to killing you.....

#7 ·
Indeed, always good to have a car for a backup. If you are retired or have a lifestyle that will let you and your wife get by on 1 car for a week or 2 or even 2 months on a rare occasion for a dumb "stop ride" recall, then maybe you can get by without a backup. The 50-60 miles per week you speak of, sounds like you'll be ok.

#8 ·
I really enjoy my SS - but it is an extra way to get around. I would not want it as my only mode of transport unless I lived somewhere where you really do not need a car - New York for instance. With that said - I have 1100 of trouble free miles - but for me not having air bags, air and heat - it cannot be your only car.

#9 ·
From another Floridian I drive mine a lot. On my 2015 I put over 24000 miles on it. I drove it almost every day. The rain in Florida can be pretty predictable, at least in Tampa. On the days it rains, usually in the afternoon I'm at work, it's usually done by the time I head home. I've been caught out a few times but no big deal just drive carful, or wait a bit the rain rarely lasts very long.

Having said that it really isn't designed to be your only vehicle but can be used every day pretty easily. I check the weather, see when it might rain and decide if I'm going to take it out. If it looks good I take it otherwise I'll drive my truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.