Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying one, and have read comments of people saying its a money pit, but they don't really state why. Is this a vehicle that breaks down often? Is it poorly made and consistently needs work done here and there? Is it worth the $20,000 compared to a car or bike of the same price? I appreciate any feedback.Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Other than some remaining questions about the Polaris-designed drive-line components (angle drive/rear axle), I don't consider the Slingshot to be a money pit, IF an owner can find immunity to the evidently all-too-virulent MOD disease! I know I certainly suffer from it!:D

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I am considering buying one, and have read comments of people saying its a money pit, but they don't really state why. Is this a vehicle that breaks down often? Is it poorly made and consistently needs work done here and there? Is it worth the $20,000 compared to a car or bike of the same price? I appreciate any feedback.Thanks in advanced!
I don't recall seeing a lot of posts calling it a "money pit". To me "money pit" means that you are spending money on it and getting nothing back. For example repairing broken stuff due to poor workmanship or quality. All of that should be covered under warranty.

Owners ARE spending a lot on mods. Some (dare I say most) people get hooked and spend $20k in mods on their $20k vehicle. Wheels and tires, aftermarket stereo, roof, seats, windscreen, CAI, turbo, spoiler, luggage racks, etc, you get the picture. Do these fall under "spending money on it and getting nothing back"? No. You gain comfort, speed, and visual enhancements from these. So you certainly get something back. To the casual observer or someone who is not into cars or bikes, it may feel like the money was thrown away, but definitely not if you are into that sort of thing. It becomes a hobby.

How does it compare to a car or bike of the same price? Most people compare it to a Miata when it comes to cars. 2 seat convertible. Similar HP. There is really no comparison. The driving experience is completely different. Not to mention you are a super hero everywhere you go. If you want a car (roof, doors, A/C, heat) buy a car. Not a Slingshot. As far as bikes go. What can you get for $20,000? I really nice GW? A decked out Harley? A 1000 or more CC super bike? Again, the Slingshot is all of these, yet it is none of these.

Go drive all the options and make an informed decision based on your lifestyle and preferences.

Money pit? NO. Best smiles per mile? Yes.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Best smiles per mile? Yes.
:D

After owning our SlingShot for over two years maintenance has really been a non-issue when it comes to cost of ownership. A only other thing that we can add to ding-a-ling's post is that the SlingShot does appear to have a rapid depreciation, (approximately 50% in two years so far), but time will ultimately define if it has any future. If you are money consciousness, definitely buy used.......................

Bill

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
It's only a money pit if you want to waste your money on mods that only enhance the look and does really nothing for the drivability of the machine. If you want to put a turbo or supercharger in it for some more horsepower that again is a personal choice. Me I find that 173 horsepower is plenty to epnjoy yourself in . I would bo open to more horsepower but only if it comes out as a bigger engine or mod made by Polaris to enhance it. Like most toys things that you should replace after 25000 miles or so would be just the shocks and maybe seats for comfort. I have been a Critic in the past with all the recalls but they're free except for uour time. I have almost 44000 miles on my 2015 SL and I only had to dump $150 into it for an electrical fix when it was out of warranty. But I also put on new shocks and comfort seats which should be in this week.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
It's only worth the $20K over a bike or a car if this is the experience you are looking for. It's not at all like riding an MC and its not the same experience as driving a car with 4 wheels and a top. It's not even like a car with a top down. No significant safety systems, always going to be open air no matter what the weather decides to do. It's a raw driving experience and its rough around the edges specifically in stock form as the shocks are not very good at all. In this regard it could be considered a money pit as I would recommend upgrading shocks and tires at a minimum before ever adding any bling to it.

On the other hand if a bit raw and rough around the edges is exactly what you are looking for its the best $20K you will ever spend. I would not trade mine for another MC and definitely not for another convertible......

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I wouldn't say its a money pit at all. Unless you catch the mod bug....then it can be. But in itself I find it to be very reliable and have had very very minimal issues with it and it has over 25k Miles on it now.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
yeah you have to take all comments with a grain of salt. I'm on my second set of tires on the front and third rear tire. All Kendas like the OEM except I buy them online where they're a lot less money. I have no problem with the Kendas.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have only had mine for about 1 month. It does have a 2 year warranty which you can extend to 5 years for about a grand - so Polaris thinks it will not cost to much to fix over 5 years.

The maintenance schedule is fairly cheap for the first 5 years as well...oil changes, grease a few points, spark plugs...nothing crazy.

So I do not see it has a money pit. However, as others have mentioned.. MODS and like all things with motors go down in value. I think your best move money wise is buy a 1 year old one.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Tires are your biggest expense. 1 rear tire wears 4x faster than 2. Fronts seem to do ok. I would buy a 2nd set. One all season for routine mileage and a summer max performance for the fun days. Very easy to find a second set of used rims on this site.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Tires are your biggest expense. 1 rear tire wears 4x faster than 2. Fronts seem to do ok. I would buy a 2nd set. One all season for routine mileage and a summer max performance for the fun days. Very easy to find a second set of used rims on this site.
I agree. With 36K miles on my 2015 Base, I just ordered my first set of front tires (Nitto Motivo 225-something - I can't remember the specific size at the moment) and have gone thru 2 Kenda rear tires, 1 Sumitomo HTR Z III 295/30R18, 1 Nankang NS-20 275/35R18 and am getting ready to reinstall a Nitto 555 G2 315/35R17 on an American Muscle 17 x 10.5 Mustang Cobra Style wheel (same dimensions as the stock 18" tire/wheel combo, but with a 28 mm offset).

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,839 Posts
I actually have thought about getting the license plate "MNYPIT"...I have never spent this much on a vehicle...So far... $16K worth of part and accessories.

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you are one who likes slingshot as it is stock ???? Then it is not a money pit.
If you do not like slingshot stock then it is as you call a money pit.
The newer ones have nicer seats than my early 2016. But probably I would have changed seats any way.
Then dual rear exhaust, the f4 +5 windshield,seats,rear wing,wheels and tires,turbo,brakes and rotors,
and one custom body for it. So if this is not you then you have a good chance to spend mid 20k and be happy.
If not than hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars later you end up with this.
But it is totally up to you what you want to drive stock or custom.
Good Luck in your purchase

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree. With 36K miles on my 2015 Base, I just ordered my first set of front tires (Nitto Motivo 225-something - I can't remember the specific size at the moment) and have gone thru 2 Kenda rear tires, 1 Sumitomo HTR Z III 295/30R18, 1 Nankang NS-20 275/35R18 and am getting ready to reinstall a Nitto 555 G2 315/35R17 on an American Muscle 17 x 10.5 Mustang Cobra Style wheel (same dimensions as the stock 18" tire/wheel combo, but with a 28 mm offset).
I would think I am good on tires for a while - have a little over 1,000 mile, but where to you get the tires from? The SS dealer or like a place like tire discount? Do they put them on and align and balance.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I look at the $ to Fun ratio and the SS is a blast. This from the guy that has had all the sports/tuner cars and motorcycles. Slingshot has a higher $ to Fun ratio than either
You don't have to have a dedicated track car/bike to get a very similar experience right out your driveway in your SS. Genius idea regarding the practical application of this thing.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I would think I am good on tires for a while - have a little over 1,000 mile, but where to you get the tires from? The SS dealer or like a place like tire discount? Do they put them on and align and balance.
The dealer will charge considerably more than online. Most online tire retailers offer connections with local installers. Just check their website before ordering..

·
Registered
2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
780 Posts
Money-pit? I think this Slingshot is the most fun for the money of any vehicle I have ever owned!

Mods and accessories are the owners preference, overall reliability and maintenance have been excellent and all in all it has been a really fun and safe vehicle!

Most of the money that most of the Slingshot owners are spending is things they want to do because they love their Ss so much!

·
Registered
191 Posts
IMO, when compared to a boat, the Slingshot is reliable and inexpensive.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If a hobby or some sort of passion doesn't cost any mullah, then it really isnt a hobby or passion..,.right? At least that is what my wallet thinks....lol.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I enjoy doing my own mods. That said I spend what I want to on modifications. For me it adds to the enjoyment of owning one. Reading these forums and seeking answers and advice also adds to the hobby. If your not into mods it’s likely not going to cost you much. After all it’s built off a very reliable economy car engine and transmission. In a nutshell you can spend what you want. Just have fun with it!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts