Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All

I have about 1500 miles on my SL and I’m wondering if I should realign my drive belt. I’ve read that it should be closer to the wheel side of the rear sprocket but mine is closer to the passenger side. When I look under it’s near center on the front sprocket. Should I realign? How is everyone running theirs?

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
If it's quiet enough that noise from the belt doesn't bother you, I wouldn't worry about it. Most folks only fiddle with belt alignment when the noise bothers them. Some folks just turn up their radio, others have tried other solutions. Try searching for "belt noise".

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. Im fine with the noise. The biggest change in noise for me was changing the angle drive fluid with Royal Purple lol. That was definitely a notable change. Here I was just concerned about belt, bearing, and sprocket longevity if I were not within spec, if there is a spec.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks BKL. Looks like I have a project before my next long ride. My belt is definitely on the outboard side of the sprocket. The noise doesn’t bother me but what if I’m just used to it and don’t know the difference.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
A noisy belt is reportedly annoying, but I find things like tire noise could easily drown it out. I've now got over 58000 miles and unless the dealer checked it while I was under warranty(ran out in Summer 2017), I've never checked it. Based on what I've read, most folks seem to feel running the belt so it's slightly looser than spec is best.

·
Registered
2015 2JZ swapped
399 Posts
When the machine rolls forward under no load it should be on the LH side of the sprocket. When rolling it backwards it will creep to the RH side. Under load it will creep from left to right, so if it's in the middle or RH side it may make noise under acceleration/load. Then it should be adjusted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts