Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Is it normal for the title of a 2017 SLR to read 2016 as the Model year?

6K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  WmHBonney 
#1 · (Edited)
Prior to my purchasing my 2017 SLR, I've never purchased a new vehicle that is actually advertised as the following year's model, so pardon my ignorance.

The title for my SLR just came in - but it reads 2016 in the model year - anyone else with a 2017 model seeing the same thing on their titles? This is also the case with my Tag registration - but that's to be expected since they base the information off of the title.

Is this normal? Do titles for models released the year before, actually list the model year as the newer year, or do they read the model year as the year they were released?

The insurance for my SS is also set up with 2017 as the model year - so I'm also wondering whether there is cause for concern on that front (ie - my insurance reading a different model year from my registration)..

See less See more
#2 ·
only a problem on resale value. as long as insurance has same vin# call them to correct. most likely it has a leftover 2016 frame and drivetrain (to which the vin is placed) This issue happens a lot with motorhomes chasis model year is older than the house part

#3 · (Edited)
My VIN# is indeed a 2017 VIN, based on how the VIN is decoded (I have an "H" in my 10th position - which decodes to 2017)

Below is how the SS VINs are usually decoded...
- The first 3 characters identify the manufacturer of the vehicle
–Digits 4-8: Are the vehicle attributes
–Digit 9: Is a check digit
–Digit 10: Is Model Year (F=2015, G=2016 H=2017)
–Digit 11: Is plant code
–Digits 12-17: Are sequential numbers

So, regardless of what parts were used in my SS, the VIN# should have pulled up as 2017 in the Title office - although I suspect maybe the issue is with the info my dealer submitted...?

I definitely wouldn't want my SS undervalued as a 2016 model down the road - but as I mentioned, I don't have any experience with this kind of thing.

Do you know of anyone with a 2017 SS that has a title that actually reads 2017? Maybe it's normal for the title to simply show the year of manufacture?

#8 ·
o_O - I don't think the model year is necessarily the year of manufacture, but it should be. Otherwise, when Apple releases their car, what's to stop them from claiming that their design is actually a futuristic design for the year 2030...

#18 ·
I can tell you from experience that if your title says 2016 that's what you bought if your paper work says 2017 you need to return to the dealer he has probably made a honest mistake....also the serial number is coded to the year of the model ...the 10th digit is the model year of a automobile I can only assume that it is the same with our slings your tenth digit should be a H mine is a 2016.5 and it has a G hope this helps

#19 ·
Just received my 2017 Replacement Title today! The dealer got the titling error fixed with the Dept of Revenue. The dealer's original paperwork was in fact correct- but someone in the GA Dept of Revenue took it upon themselves to "correct" the year. Probably a newbie who didn't realize that it's possible to have a 2017 title issued in 2016.

#22 ·
Prior to my purchasing my 2017 SLR, I've never purchased a new vehicle that is actually advertised as the following year's model, so pardon my ignorance.

The title for my SLR just came in - but it reads 2016 in the model year - anyone else with a 2017 model seeing the same thing on their titles? This is also the case with my Tag registration - but that's to be expected since they base the information off of the title.

View attachment 79857

Is this normal? Do titles for models released the year before, actually list the model year as the newer year, or do they read the model year as the year they were released?

The insurance for my SS is also set up with 2017 as the model year - so I'm also wondering whether there is cause for concern on that front (ie - my insurance reading a different model year from my registration)..
mine reads 2017

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.