Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Vendor
5,412 Posts
Well...it's an equal "concern" to me no matter how big my vehicle is. I'm as concerned with hurting others as much as myself.....I was speaking purely in terms of actual NEED. I'll be able to see behind me in the slingshot much easier than the bus. Even if I need to get all the way out to look,(doubtful) I will. If I don't think it's reasonably safe to go backward, I won't do it. Things could happen by surprise with or without a camera. I've never NEEDED a back up camera on any of my vehicles in all the years I've been driving, and quite honestly I think the option is too expensive on the SS......Who knows, maybe I'm just being an old guy. I suppose I NEED my smart phone now that I have one. Maybe if I had a back up camera, I couldn't then live without it.

·
Vendor
5,412 Posts
I would say yes it's needed, you can't see a damn thing with those tiny little mirrors...
Have you sat in it? I've read (from others that have sat in it) that those little mirrors provide great rearward visibility. One example was a person standing directly behind the slingshot was seen in both mirrors.....But if you've sat in it, I won't argue. I truly don't know because I haven't seen it for myself......That said, I wouldn't buy the back-up camera even with no mirrors.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah I got to drive them quite a bit and backing them up will be a drag for sure without the camera BUT that will only be true in certain scenarios...obviously pulling out of a parking spot is a fairly predictable situation, hopefully ;)

·
Registered
426 Posts
The back up camera on my 2014 Silverado is very useful when hooking up the trailer. On my SL I will wire it through a switch so I can use it moving forward for two reasons... 1. to see who is losing 2. to watch the huge chunks of rubber flying off of the cheap Kenda rear tire. :wideyed:

·
Registered
915 Posts
I sat in one today for the second time and took a couple rearward shots:
IMG_0655.jpg
This is from the driver's perspective looking back over right shoulder. If a backup camera is not needed I would say it sure is recommended, especially if your next to or near something else backing into a spot. This one is leaning over to the passenger side a bit and looking rear ward:
IMG_0658.jpg
You're definately hitting that trailer hitch if you back up blindly

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I sat in one today for the second time and took a couple rearward shots: View attachment 1453 This is from the driver's perspective looking back over right shoulder. If a backup camera is not needed I would say it sure is recommended, especially if your next to or near something else backing into a spot. This one is leaning over to the passenger side a bit and looking rear ward: View attachment 1454 You're definately hitting that trailer hitch if you back up blindly
Where was that?
Is this the same one that you sat in? Canadian model 00029?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Sorry Mike, where was what? I don't think it was a canuck model as it had the center lights. Yes I sat in this one today and took the pics in NJ

·
Registered
242 Posts
Don't know if my other post went through or not, so....I just bought a very sweet Garmin GPS. Comes with a 7 screen, Bluetooth, all of the whistles and bells..... AND....... a very nice back up camera with fully adjustable guidelines.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I purchased the Base and I definitely needed a backup camera to feel comfortable backing up. I am a big guy and with a full face helmet on I can't see behind me even after adjusting the mirrors. If you look around before you get in then you feel a bit more comfortable but the camera takes the guesswork out...

21 - 40 of 44 Posts