Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have seen a the SS, is a back up camera really needed? Is the rear view that restricted?

·
Registered
843 Posts
If they make the Base model with no camera...maybe that's still safe....but i want the SL so... The T-Rex have no rear camera and i never have problem at all...so it's more a gadget but certainly can help on parking!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm not sure if it's a requirement because the side mirrors are pretty good. However it's certainly a feature I'm going to add to my base model. I have a backup camera in 2/3 vehicles I own and I miss it when I drive the vehicle that doesn't have it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The backup camera is a nice feature. Needed? Maybe not but definitely appreciated. Being teardrop shaped it is easy to think you are reversing straight but not really. I also kept thinking that there was more back behind me than there was, the camera helps you use all available space. I am used to driving a truck and knowing that there is a bed behind me so maybe it was just more amplified for me. You cannot see your backend so I always imagined it further back there than it was. I guess that is better than thinking I had more room than I did....

·
Registered
414 Posts
Seems like a nice to have. Like dascrow, I have it in 2 of 3 cars and sure miss it when I'm in a busy parking lot in that 3rd car. The camera in my car saved me from backing into a tree in the rain. It was behind my car and wasn't visible in the side mirrors. The rain kept me from seeing it in the rear view. Luckily I could see it in the camera. To me, it's a really nice feature.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think the B/U camera is a must, we are tucked down with a car size trike. whether you are parking on the street or in the lot with other bikes, it's a good idea to be able to CYA and ur 6

·
Registered
796 Posts
Several reasons the camera would be beneficial: the seatbacks are really high.... the actual seats are really low..... and as if that weren't enough, some folks will be wearing a full-faced helmet. You'd have to do a good Linda Blair impression to see behind you!

·
Registered
843 Posts
CENTHRON, by your answer I can bet you have a lot more parking toward the curb. some of us have a lot more parellel parking parking
in that time trying to find two parking spaces stick to make it easier .... but in the worst case it's still not so bad even in parallel since the vehicle is low and no door!:)

·
Registered
541 Posts
The camera is nice. After checking out a demo yesterday. It sold me on the merits of a camera. Had a great picture. I plan on putting in my own system. It will have a larger screen and GPS.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
What's behind me does not matter! :)

It would be a nice to have and may consider adding it to my base once some clever person comes up with an elegant solution. Most of my riding will be back roads and definitely those that are less traveled. Where I could see needing it most is backing into or out of my garage and trailer.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Has anyone come up with a way to keep that camera running all the time yet? It would really be nice to see who/what is getting ready to plow into you from the rear....
But then you won't be able to change your radio station... :bucktooth:

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Has anyone come up with a way to keep that camera running all the time yet? It would really be nice to see who/what is getting ready to plow into you from the rear....
There's always a way to bypass it.
it's only a question of when will have the SS in our hand.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Nope.......If I can back a 40 foot bus without a camera I don't need it for the little Slingshot. One of many reasons I chose the base model.
I didn't need one to back up tractor-trailers either. When your the biggest vehicle around, it doesn't matter who is behind you or how fast they are approaching, it's a little more of a concern when your the smallest thing around.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts