Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, as in New York state, you will need to have a motorcycle license to drive it. I would think a helmet for both driver and passenger will be required.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Definitely up for interpretation. The words "cab" and "around" the occupant would seem suggest to me that the vehicle has a top with a windshield and windows both of which are absent on the SS. The SS will draw attention just like a bright red $400K Ferrari does. That means anyone driving an SS will be under extra scrutiny. If this was a topless white Ford Taurus with no doors you would probably not get a second glance but no chance of that happening in the SS. :)

If helmets are required for MC riders in your state I would be inclined to abide by that law until things get shaken out a bit unless you have an excellent attorney on staff and just want to be the first guinea pig in court challenging the code.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely up for interpretation. The words "cab" and "around" the occupant would seem suggest to me that the vehicle has a top with a windshield and windows both of which are absent on the SS. The SS will draw attention just like a bright red $400K Ferrari does. That means anyone driving an SS will be under extra scrutiny. If this was a topless white Ford Taurus with no doors you would probably not get a second glance but no chance of that happening in the SS. :)

If helmets are required for MC riders in your state I would be inclined to abide by that law until things get shaken out a bit unless you have an excellent attorney on staff and just want to be the first guinea pig in court challenging the code.
I agree. Just an intersting topic. Am I required to wear the seatbelt? I do not believe that seatbelts are required for MC riders.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
^Same issue. You could not wear it (seat belt) and argue with the officer that your ride is technically an MC and you are not required to use one but my guess is your still going to get a ticket. No helmet law in WI so I doubt I will wear one in the SS. Seat belt? All the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree. Just an intersting topic. Am I required to wear the seatbelt? I do not believe that seatbelts are required for MC riders.
I would expect that your local seat belt law says something to the affect that if a vehicle is factory equipped with a seat belt you are required by law to wear it. The Sling Shot is factory equipped with 3-point seat belts and forged aluminum roll hoops. I myself and my passenger will be belted in...

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
I would agree with the others if there wasn't an exception that said seats like an automobile and steering wheel. I would not wear one. but I don't give a crap what they write me a ticket for...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
It's likely law enforcement will look at the vin plate, I believe it will will have motorcycle stamped on. The exception sounds more like a Cushman truckster.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Does the windshield satisfy the glazing requirement? If so, we may not need a helmet. View attachment 1772
Nope... no helmet required. Glazing refers to a windscreen, the seating area = the cockpit. It has seats similar to a car or truck, and has seatbelts. It meets all requirements of article 1. While it is a motorcycle and there is no question about it, article 1 refers to a motorcycle that has the aforementioned specifications, which the SS does. There is no mention of a roof.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think it's going to be a matter of interpretation. It says "glazing AROUND the occupant" not in front of the occupant. A cop will write a ticket for it and a judge will decided/ interpret what the writer of the statute intended when he wrote it. My educated guess is that the driver will be found guilty because of the specific wording used. Personally, I'm really inclined to ride it with no helmet at least at first because most LEOs won't have a clue how to designate a SS. Yeah it's got a bike plate on it, but the damn thing has a seat belt. I'm sure NJ, being the nanny state that it is, will ultimately decide that a helmet is required

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
If you live in a state requiring a helmet you might consider going to the County Clerk, District Prosecutor, or even the State Police and getting their "legal" opinion IN WRITING so if you get stopped at least you have a leg to stand on when you go in front of the judge...just my .02 cents worth

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you live in a state requiring a helmet you might consider going to the County Clerk, District Prosecutor, or even the State Police and getting their "legal" opinion IN WRITING so if you get stopped at least you have a leg to stand on when you go in front of the judge...just my .02 cents worth
If it didn't meet the standards of a motercycle it wouldn't exist.
You can try to interpit the laws in each state all you want but if the department of transportation in each state has excepted it as a motercycle you will get a ticket and it will holdup in court.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Wow, you guys work so hard on miniscule items. If you get pulled over, show your cleavage, bat your eyes, and say, "I'm sorry, officer...I didn't know I couldn't do that." I'm sure it will work.

How about this...keep a DOT half helmet in the space behind your seat. If you get pulled over, tell them you'll be happy to put it on.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
cute looks won't work for me, if there's a violation, there's a violation, as far as the helmet goes, sure put the helmet on and here's your ticket, if you feel wrong doing is at play, go to court, if you get caught trying to sneak around or bending the law, that just shows what type of person you are, my 2 cents

If you see someone drop a $10.00 bill, are you going to tell them or pick it up for yourself?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Again...way too serious.

This isn't hard. Jeez. Make a phone call to your local LEO or talk to one at Starbucks when they're getting coffee. Don't use a forum to interpret law.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Again...way too serious.

This isn't hard. Jeez. Make a phone call to your local LEO or talk to one at Starbucks when they're getting coffee. Don't use a forum to interpret law.
I agree, and the reason I suggested getting an "Official" written statement is because opinions vary even amongst LEO, one may write you a ticket for LED lighting and the next will stop you just to admire your efforts........

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sounds legal but I would carry a copy of the law with me in case their is any disagreement and I wouldnt be surprised if one day I got a ticket from some one who doesnt care about the nuances of the law. If that's not worth the hassle then slap on that helmet!

·
Registered
362 Posts
My $0.02 worth. The law and legislation has not caught up to this new technology yet. It will in time. Once a few "tickets", make it to court, and a judge makes a determination, that precedence will be the ''rule" until each state looks at the SS's, makes a determination, and adjustment to the law, if needed. Each individual LEO will have their own interpretation of the law and application to the SS until a ruling is handed down. Depending on the officer's determination, they may cite. you if you are not wearing the seat belt, helmet, and possess a motorcycle endorsement. Your attitude is very important here during this encounter with them (arguing, showing them a copy of the law, talking down to them, telling then how to do their job, etc. will not bode well for you). Do not rely on consistency from LEOs in the beginning if your state law is ambiguous, until a decision is made by a court (judge). My advise would be to error on the side of caution, have an endorsement, wear a helmet and seat belts. We are going to be drawing enough attention just by driving these around. If you're like me, you will "unintentionally" be giving LEOs enough reason to be stopping you anyway. Why give them more of a reason?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts