Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hopefuly going to put my deposit down on base SS tomorrow. Does anyone have experience with motorcycle intercoms? I have a Rugged Radios intercomm in my buggy, but we use headsets. Has anyone used one with a full face helmet before? Do the earpieces and mic stay in the helmet or do you have to put it on every time?
The Intercomm I have is pretty cool, I can plug the mic out directly in to my gopro so when you replay the video you can hear yourself and the passengers talk. You can also plug in a device with a headphone jack, such as a phone, ipod, etc and listen to music. I am going to check and see if any of the GPS w/backup camera have an aux out for sound. That might end up being the best non-factory solution out there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use intercoms on my full face helmet. The earpieces and mouthpiece stay in the helmet and tucked away under the foam inserts. You never know they are in there. The electronics is n the outside of the helmet and snaps off for recharging.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been wondering if ICS would be necessary. Read at least one review that said it wasn't, you could carry on a conversation normally. Not sure if that's still true doing 50+ on a highway.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
I will be using the double bubble so it might be a little louder. I will hold off on the smh10 until I have a couple rides at speed then make the decision.

I am not sure how many people have tried to have a conversation at 60-70mph since most of the videos I have seen are controlled drives at lower speeds (<50mph).

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not sure how easy it is to carry on a conversation at 70+ with full face helmets on and watch the road at the same time.. ;).
I was wondering if anyone had looked into fabricating in the Polaris motorcycle radio with intercom built in?

·
Registered
396 Posts
My wife and I are using the Sena 10 units. We were not able to hear each other without yelling over 45 or 50 mph. At freeway speeds it was a joke.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
I use the Sena 10s and they are necessary with the double bubble and full face helmets above 50mph.

The nice thing about the Sena 10s is that you can bluetooth your phone and play music for both you and your passenger at the same time. Unfortuntely you can't talk and listen at the same time but I actually view that as an asset. :cool::cool:

Also allows me to answer the phone in my helmet as opposed to just using ear buds. There are some nice speakers to add too but then it all starts to cost crazy cash.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use the sena smh10 for passengers on my bike and for instructing at the track. However, if I do end up with an SS, I will go a different route... I will get a single unit capable to being mounted in the SS, powered from the SS (no battery issues), and a simple 2 port plug for each helmet to plug into.

For the SS, I don't want to deal with "I forgot to charge both Sena's", or on a long trip be limited on battery time.

Some bluetooth ones would be great for SS to SS group ride convos.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have a couple of scala communications sets and they work well!

Since we are both side by side in the SS, I went back to my old "Teamset" units because it was a little clearer sound at close distances.

The sound deadening software works well and I can Bluetooth with Nav, Phone or music or .....?.

I let my passenger handle the phone and Nav and just tell the driver what to do. That avoids a lot of distraction for the driver. With full face helmets and the Scala units, we can talk without yelling at most speeds even on the interstate.

Works great for us! Some of the later long distance units would allow vehicle to a different vehicle communication, but right now I am just using the older Teamset units because we are near each other.

You could probably find some NOS Team Set units or lightly used units for a thrifty price! (like under $100 each or maybe even for both units) The prices are good on the biker-passenger sets because most Bikers have gone to the long distance bike to bike units so the biker-rider units are a lot cheaper now!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I use the sena smh10 for passengers on my bike and for instructing at the track. However, if I do end up with an SS, I will go a different route... I will get a single unit capable to being mounted in the SS, powered from the SS (no battery issues), and a simple 2 port plug for each helmet to plus into.

For the SS, I don't want to deal with "I forgot to charge both Sena's", or on a long trip be limited on battery time.

Some bluetooth ones would be great for SS to SS group ride convos.
I like the thought of both passenger and rider plugin in after sitting down and belting up too. I'd always forget to keep those things charged up. Hard enough with phone and go pro? Let me know what you find;)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If you're ok with pluging in just use the charging plug between the seats to charge while you ride. Seriously considering putting a usb plug in each storage box to charge while stopped. My wife and I already had a sena set in our helmets from riding so no need to change gear. With the double windshields you will want intercom.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
A group of my friends talk me into going with a communication device for our big rides. We went with UCLEAR HBC200.

Bluetooth, music, phone, etc. Works very well. I have a modular full face Shoe Multitec (that I need to replace.) It's not the quietest helmet but I can still hear my conversations and music up to 45-50mph with the Uclear. They're easy to sync together and operate. The speakers fit very well under the cheek pads as if there's nothing there. There's no drilling, everything has clips or 3M adhesive pads that work well.

The only problem for me is, I have to relearn how to use them every year. I don't use them unless I'm with the group that wants to. For music, I prefer my regular ear buds because I don't like riding below 50mph. I want to hear my music at 80mph. I don't like talking on my phone or to anyone else for that matter while I'm riding honestly...lol...Suddenly I don't sound much like a nice guy anymore. ;)

I'm not antisocial, it just ruins the experience for me. Female passengers sometimes try to yell through the helmet at 40mph to tell me or show me something really cool, like a pretty bird :rolleyes: Hey, leave me alone and just look at the scenery. It would be SOOOO much worse if they could trap me with a device that works! Phone calls?.....Sorry, I was on my motorcycle I couldn't take your call........The only thing I want to be bothered with is my next corner.

For passengers in the SS it might be a different story......I might sneak a feel every now and again but I don't want to hold hands for goodness sake. So glad the SS is a manual! :D Anyway, here's a link before I get too carried away.

http://www.uclear-digital.com/

·
Registered
131 Posts
20150219_175317_resized.jpg
I like the thought of both passenger and rider plugin in after sitting down and belting up too. I'd always forget to keep those things charged up. Hard enough with phone and go pro? Let me know what you find;)
Just picked this up today, figured it was a low enough investment and looks like it'll do exactly what I want. Has an aux plug for my phone if I want to go that route, and the convenience of not dealing charging overnight or running out of battery while on the road. 2 ports for headsets to plug into.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The only downside I see is the inability to talk to others if you go on a group ride. Most of the newer bluetooth units they will connect with other brands.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The only downside I see is the inability to talk to others if you go on a group ride. Most of the newer bluetooth units they will connect with other brands.
Very true... i still have a senna on my other helmet for that. Definitely a good consideration for thise that are newer to comm sets.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts