Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is Champagne taste with Cool-Aid pockets!

Start by removing your stock air box and let the fun begin!

Now I am sure there are cheaper air filters but lets not get too cheap here lol

I used an AEM filter $48.99 (Mine was free from a friend) (Dryflow there is no oil like K&N uses which can ruin mass airflow sensors)

http://www.amazon.com/AEM-21-201DK-...=1442894915&sr=1-1&keywords=2.5inch+inlet+AEM

2.5" Electrical Conduit not the typical white PVC pipe they do not make 2.5"

Cut the Flared out piece off completely <----------

upload_2015-9-22_0-6-55.png

The filter comes with a hose clamp and you use your factory intake tube no modifications necessary!
One strategically placed zip tie and Whela !!!

I am going to get a turbo kit at some point, so why spend the money for an intake setup when you can have this!!!

IMG_20150919_220408.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed this! ;)

·
Registered
688 Posts
That's a damn fine idea!!! You screwed up tho......all you had to do was scuff it with sand paper, shoot it with a nice Krylon blue or red, and then offer it up to us as a custom CAI for the low low price of say.....$139.95!!! You could have even offered a huge multiple choice of colors, for a small fee of course, and thrown in a lifetime warranty!!! You'd have made enough money within a week to even give yourself a really catchy company name!!:cigar: Alas....you chose to share your custom build (yes, I said BUILD) for free.....some of us are just not destined for greatness.....myself included;)
Seriously BlackDeath.....great job!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
That's a damn fine idea!!! You screwed up tho......all you had to do was scuff it with sand paper, shoot it with a nice Krylon blue or red, and then offer it up to us as a custom CAI for the low low price of say.....$139.95!!! You could have even offered a huge multiple choice of colors, for a small fee of course, and thrown in a lifetime warranty!!! You'd have made enough money within a week to even give yourself a really catchy company name!!:cigar: Alas....you chose to share your custom build (yes, I said BUILD) for free.....some of us are just not destined for greatness.....myself included;)
Do this painting to this CAI, then you would lose the ******* version which makes it so unique.

·
Registered
688 Posts
That could be a ******* birth control and bikini wax all in one shot!!
It looks pretty angry under there....maybe they already used it for the bikini wax???

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I was going to sand it and paint it actually but I just threw it together fast so I could go ride! I did notice the airflow was much better and the engine seemed smoother. You can hear more of a throaty sound when you get on it now. Little more responsive.

I thought about putting a kit together but honestly I wouldn't feel comfortable charging that when it is such a simple thing. I would like to share this for everyone to benefit. I didn't see the point in investing money for a nice cold air intake when I am going to get a turbo kit and then I will not need it. A lot of us on here have invested money for our SS and have learned so much with testing things, that saves us money and time.

I was going to design a full intake but I was happier with this inexpensive quick fix :D I am happy to contribute to the community and hope I can continue to be involved with other projects. Thank you @Roadog1aj and @Bill Martin for your appreciation :shamefullyembarrased:

If anyone would like to donate money feel free to go to Paypal [email protected] :angelic:
I will donate 80% of the donations to anyone of Slingshot family forum members that are in need and less fortunate then others.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
@BlackDeath , I think what you did is pretty slick for those on a budget & we appreciate you sharing. A little paint & it would actually not look bad at all!

Now THIS is *******...
image.jpeg

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What happens when you go through flooding monsoon rain? :wideyed:
The hood protects the air filter. If you want you can buy a pre-filter that goes outside that might help a little more. However if you are in water that deep your problems are bigger than worrying about your air filter lol.

The stock air box has an opening in the front that is small but can suck in water at that level also.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
There is no mass air flow sensor. So you don't have to worry about getting oil on the wire. Even if you use a oiled filter on a mass air intake it should never be a problem if its properly oiled.

If you are going to leave your air filter out in the hood compartment with no shield then you should go with an oiled filter. The dry filters do seem to flow a tiny bit better but will not hold up to water and being splashed. The difference in flow between a properly oiled K&N and a dry type are negligible.

If you keep your K&N oiled and clean it can stand up to having water splashed on it and it will shed most rain off without the protective sock over it.

I like the ******* engineering. It should be fine. Just pop a oiled filter on the end.

Reactions: Bill Martin

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is no mass air flow sensor. So you don't have to worry about getting oil on the wire. Even if you use a oiled filter on a mass air intake it should never be a problem if its properly oiled.

If you are going to leave your air filter out in the hood compartment with no shield then you should go with an oiled filter. The dry filters do seem to flow a tiny bit better but will not hold up to water and being splashed. The difference in flow between a properly oiled K&N and a dry type are negligible.

If you keep your K&N oiled and clean it can stand up to having water splashed on it and it will shed most rain off without the protective sock over it.

I like the ******* engineering. It should be fine. Just pop a oiled filter on the end.
I am glad you like my quick setup @RABTECH It is getting cold in the morning now 48degrees and climbing, high around 77degrees. Nice and cool for the ******* Intake!

·
Registered
626 Posts
I am glad you like my quick setup @RABTECH It is getting cold in the morning now 48degrees and climbing, high around 77degrees. Nice and cool for the ******* Intake!
holy shiite batman ; thats full blown florida winter. I cant show my air vent system which is very effective because it is seriously wall martian.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
holy shiite batman ; thats full blown florida winter. I cant show my air vent system which is very effective because it is seriously wall martian.
I saw something a month ago but I don't think it was yours feel free to link it to me. Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had to give this one a try and it took a little modification but it is now installed. The OD of the pipe was 2.8" and the ID of the filter is 2.5" so the filter would not fit over the pipe until I used a grinder to remove about 1/16" off the pipe OD. This took two attempts as I went all the way through the pipe the first time. Thanks for the idea and part numbers @BlackDeath.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts