Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I got the paddle shift kit on my 2020SL, I want to install one of those 5 inch Auto Meter tach's on the dash. I don't want to tap into one of the coil wires for the sensor wire. There are no spark plug wires, so I cant use an inductive pickup. The crank pully is smooth, so a hall effect sensor wont work either. Is there a external Tach port somewhere in the wiring harness?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yours did not come with a tach?
I'm a big guy so I have to have the steering column all the way up. That kinda shoves the gages up under the dash and it is a little awkward to see while banging through the gears. I have a lovely 5 inch auto Meter with shift light sitting on the shelf yelling "Install Me!" There must be a tap someplace to hook up another tach without cutting wires in the harness?

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Tapping the coil wire on cylinder #1 at the front of the engine is a common method of obtaining a tach feed. You might also want to consider using a simple Shift Light that can be set to whatever RPM value you want as your shift point. Here's an example - https://www.amazon.com/Support-Adjustable-Tachometer-1000-11000-Universal/dp/B00WMBV3D8/, but there's a wide selection of similar products with costs ranging from the relatively inexpensive to several Hundred Dollars, depending on model and features.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tapping the coil wire on cylinder #1 at the front of the engine is a common method of obtaining a tach feed. You might also want to consider using a simple Shift Light that can be set to whatever RPM value you want as your shift point. Here's an example - https://www.amazon.com/Support-Adjustable-Tachometer-1000-11000-Universal/dp/B00WMBV3D8/, but there's a wide selection of similar products with costs ranging from the relatively inexpensive to several Hundred Dollars, depending on model and features.
I wanted to avoid cutting into the harness but as a last resort I might do it. What wire on the Coil? Red, Black or White?

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
See - Tachometer signal location. He shows the tap close to one of the wiring connectors, but I tapped closer to cylinder 1 just a short way back from the edge of the wire wrapping and then retaped the wires going to cylinder 1 to protect everything. Remember to use multi-stranded wire since it resists breaking from wire flexing than solid bell wire, for example. I'm not at my main PC at the moment and I don't remember if I took a pic. If I find a pic, I'll post it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts