Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
161 - 180 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I went +10oz over spec -- didn't do sh!t for the noise. In fact, I kinda thought it was louder...but decided that was just because I had turned the radio off and was purposely driving in that 30mph - 50mph range to listen.

I'm probably going to try to get the dealer to replace the thing under warranty...5,500 miles now and still no significant improvement.
Let me know how that works out.......

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
I went +10oz over spec -- didn't do sh!t for the noise. In fact, I kinda thought it was louder...but decided that was just because I had turned the radio off and was purposely driving in that 30mph - 50mph range to listen.

I'm probably going to try to get the dealer to replace the thing under warranty...5,500 miles now and still no significant improvement.
If they replace it MAKE sure you have PLENTY of belt deflection over 1.40" or it will just wipe out the bearings in less than 50 miles.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If they replace it MAKE sure you have PLENTY of belt deflection over 1.40" or it will just wipe out the bearings in less than 50 miles.
Yeah...I'm running it at about 1.5" - 1.75" cold and empty. After a good ride and with occupant, it has tightened up to about the .7" that the factory spec calls for.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah..its no wonder they are having bearing issues. Start at their recommended 0.67" deflection and then have the belt shrink 1"...
I loosened my belt to 1.50 when cold and no one in it. I also backed the pivot shaft out three quarters of a turn because my belt was to the extreme far left of the angle drive sprocket. This put it almost in the middle. Unreal what a difference it made in the noise coming from the angle drive. It is hard for me to believe Polaris setting the deflection at .67. How could they miss it so badly. By the time I put my 265 pounds in there and drove enough to heat the belt up the noise was unbearable.....adding a passenger was even worse.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I loosened my belt to 1.50 when cold and no one in it. I also backed the pivot shaft out three quarters of a turn because my belt was to the extreme far left of the angle drive sprocket. This put it almost in the middle. Unreal what a difference it made in the noise coming from the angle drive. It is hard for me to believe Polaris setting the deflection at .67. How could they miss it so badly. By the time I put my 265 pounds in there and drove enough to heat the belt up the noise was unbearable.....adding a passenger was even worse.
So, on the pivot shaft, you loosen the nut on the passenger side then turn the giant allen/hex head bolt on the driver's side 3/4 turn counter-clockwise?

Mine rides to the extreme left on the front sprocket as well.

What size allen head is that monster?

·
Registered
170 Posts
So, on the pivot shaft, you loosen the nut on the passenger side then turn the giant allen/hex head bolt on the driver's side 3/4 turn counter-clockwise?

Mine rides to the extreme left on the front sprocket as well.

What size allen head is that monster?
Yes I turned a full turn counterclockwise and then backed it up a quarter of a turn while spinning the rear tire. It is still slightly to the left but I could not see any of the sprocket teeth to the left of the belt before and now I see almost as much to the left of the belt as I see to the right. Before when I let off the accelerator it made a loud grinding noise.....now it makes almost no noise at all whether you are on the gas or off. It is a 22MM hex socket. You can get them on Amazon.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Read the entire thread, twice, and still have a question of whether or not to use the Red Line Shockproof and should I go with the 90/250 weight?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Read the entire thread, twice, and still have a question of whether or not to use the Red Line Shockproof and should I go with the 90/250 weight?
I used Red Line heavy shockproof. I think it is 75/250. I also jacked the driver side up with a floor jack so I could get the entire quart bottle in. It is some quieter and I have no leaks so far so good. If you are wanting to make the angle drive quieter loosening and aligning the drive belt will help more than anything, and in my opinion make your angle drive last longer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am no expert on belt drives but have had a couple on bikes. I have never seen a belt tighten up when it gets hot as much as the one on the SS. I have one and a half inches deflection when cold but after a 30 minute ride it is tight as a banjo string.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
I am no expert on belt drives but have had a couple on bikes. I have never seen a belt tighten up when it gets hot as much as the one on the SS. I have one and a half inches deflection when cold but after a 30 minute ride it is tight as a banjo string.
Check your deflection when cold again. I will bet you it tightened up. I found if you set the front adjusting nut at there factory torque settings it will retighten the belt. You have to get a self locking metric nut and when you set the deflection torque the self locking nut to 36 to 60 max INCH POUNDS. NOT FOOT POUNDS. I am now using 36" lbs.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
LC, this is my experience, i dumped the OE fluid, then did RP twice at 500 mi. intervals...then i did redline shockproof some thousands of miles ago,,over (5000)..had belt deflection loose to 5/8" inch,,and have not looked back...:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
SO, very interesting read! Thank you lilb93 for some very hard found but rewarding information for the rest of us. I only have the whine at 40mph. ( I have just over 5200 miles on the SS )However, I will implement some of your ideas, mostly going to start with belt tension and oil levels. I can't afford a complete angle drive rebuild yet. I did have an idea for the oil fill plug on the unit though. If you can find a brass fitting that you can screw a hose connection to that fits the fill hole, hose-clamp clear tubing to that and you can pump in your 1.5 quarts that way. Then you should be able to cap off the hose and secure it inside for future use, without removing it from the fill plug fitting. I would do the same thing for the breather, put in a fitting with a length of tubing to move it up and away from road debris, then put the breather fitting into the end of the clear tubing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Check your deflection when cold again. I will bet you it tightened up. I found if you set the front adjusting nut at there factory torque settings it will retighten the belt. You have to get a self locking metric nut and when you set the deflection torque the self locking nut to 36 to 60 max INCH POUNDS. NOT FOOT POUNDS. I am now using 36" lbs.
Very interesting read. Will you be willing to properly set up other owner's angle drives? Mine has been VERY noisy since day one, and I presently have 13,000 miles on it. Living in the north country of Vermont, now would be the time, as it's put up for the winter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm posting my solution again. After chasing the whine, I finally pulled the cup holder and lubed the u joint. Problem solved.

FYI - my whine was only under load.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
161 - 180 of 183 Posts