Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received notice from my dealership that Indiana has taken the stance that the Polaris Slingshot will not be able to be titled or plated in the State of Indiana, therefore restricting Indiana dealers from selling the Slingshot. Has anyone else from Indiana heard this, or is my dealership blowing smoke?

·
Registered
427 Posts
There must be and oh grouchy retired drill sergeant and someone pissed in his cornflakes this morning Head of DMV

·
Registered
426 Posts
Seems they (Indiana BMV) don't have a classification to fit the SS perfectly yet, different classifications = more revenue. They will come up with one in time, and you can bet it will be more expensive than a motorcycle. Too bad for the perspective buyers, those of us who might want to visit their state in our SS's, and the dealers, that we have to wait on them to sit through many heavily catered meetings while trying to make a decision.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Seems they (Indiana BMV) don't have a classification to fit the SS perfectly yet, different classifications = more revenue. They will come up with one in time, and you can bet it will be more expensive than a motorcycle. Too bad for the perspective buyers, those of us who might want to visit their state in our SS's, and the dealers, that we have to wait on them to sit through many heavily catered meetings while trying to make a decision.
Went into the BMW two weeks ago and asked them how this would be plated. It took the gals a few minutes but then they agreed that they found it in the M/C under trike. They even knew the difference between base model and SS. Didn't sound like it was going to be a problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Went into the BMW two weeks ago and asked them how this would be plated. It took the gals a few minutes but then they agreed that they found it in the M/C under trike. They even knew the difference between base model and SS. Didn't sound like it was going to be a problem.
BMV (bureau of motor vehicles) sorry

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
This is very interesting and perplexing as well ! ??????

So, let's say someone in Ohio buys one --- later moves to Indiana .... How can he plate it?

·
Registered
428 Posts
So what if I live in Indiana, use someone elses address out of state to purchase it, title it in the other state and pay all sales tax in that state. and keep it titled in the other state and never change it over to Indiana. Who cares, who knows and is that a problem? A work around solution for those in Indiana?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I am wondering what happens if lets say I drive through Indiana or go visit for a few days and get pulled over. Since its not a road legal vehicle in the state?
Then you would have to actually title it in that person's name.then let's say Indiana gets this straightened out and all is well -- if you want to then put it in your name and title it in Indiana you must pay the sales tax once again!

BUMMER!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
So what if I live in Indiana, use someone elses address out of state to purchase it, title it in the other state and pay all sales tax in that state. and keep it titled in the other state and never change it over to Indiana. Who cares, who knows and is that a problem? A work around solution for those in Indiana?
Sorry Brian, but they will ask for your driver's license! .. That is a dead giveaway!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
no problem, I live in Illinois, just trying to help out my fellow Indiana riders
Thanks Brian. I'm glad you're not in the same boat as we Hoooooooooosiers !!!!

Where are you and what dealer are you getting yours from?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts