Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard any promising news as to this issue being resolved? I've heard nothing, but come here several times a day hoping someone will post some good news. Please if anyone hears anything at all positive please let the rest of us know immediately. Such a let down at this point.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
No, sorry, I wrote them long ago about this issue, and they never replied. Maybe because I am 2 states away, they didn't think I was important enough to warrant an answer. :(
LowDid ,
Doesn't matter if you are two States away or ten .... You took action and it might do more good than you may think. Just wish more ( if not all) would take the few minutes to at least make our voices heard! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Please if anyone hears anything at all positive please let the rest of us know immediately. Such a let down at this point. Thanks
The last discussion I had with Polaris officials they were extremely confident in a resolution. the quote was "Polaris has a great working relationship with the State of Indiana, our legal team is working directly with State officials and they have assured us of positive outcome."
I can give you no official timeline that I was told of a resolution, "unofficially", I heard most likely before the end of the year. They had also mentioned that there was an email campaign underway by Slingshot enthusiast which they regarded as helpful.

I know this doesn't help much for the initial release, but it does put you guys in good shape with the next couple of releases and way ahead of the curve for next spring when this thing really hits the streets across the nation and becomes very popular.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
LowDid ,
Doesn't matter if you are two States away or ten .... You took action and it might do more good than you may think. Just wish more ( if not all) would take the few minutes to at least make our voices heard! Thanks for the help!
I emailed the BMV and received a form letter response, three days later I called them to ask if I would be allowed to drive in their state, they said I needed to call the State Police and ask them that question. Then I email the Gov, I didn't even get a Form letter response from him or his office.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Well isn't that just "Peachy" .

I would say that when you get stopped in Indiana, about 90% of the police officers would be stopping you just to look at your slingshot. Now doesn't that give you a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that you would have a 90% chance of being okay?

It would be nice if Indiana would even give a temporary approval for those SS's purchased in other states legally. Hell, they're all purchased legally because Indiana doesn't have a dealer that can get one!

The BMV is trying to pass the buck to the state police when, in fact, if they would simply approve it like The rest of the states, there wouldn't be a problem at all.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts

I would say that when you get stopped in Indiana, about 90% of the police officers would be stopping you just to look at your slingshot. Now doesn't that give you a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that you would have a 90% chance of being okay?

It would be nice if Indiana would even give a temporary approval for those SS's purchased in other states legally. Hell, they're all purchased legally because Indiana doesn't have a dealer that can get one!

The BMV is trying to pass the buck to the state police when, in fact, if they would simply approve it like The rest of the states, there wouldn't be a problem at all.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

Painter, do you know if dealers in Indiana have refunded deposits taken? And how are the guys that sold their rides making out?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Painter, do you know if dealers in Indiana have refunded deposits taken? And how are the guys that sold their rides making out?
I only know of one who has even offered a refund on the deposit. I don't think too many are even calling their customers in hopes that this will be worked out quickly.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Those who have sold their bike, myself included, are the ones I really feel for. There is only about a month of riding weather left and they will miss out on it. I think that most thought that This problem would never have occurred.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones as the closest dealer to me was in Illinois and so I still plan on purchasing it there when it comes in. However, whether I will be able to ride it or not is a different question altogether.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've been following this thread and certainly feel for our members in Indiana. It's bad enough the rest of us are dealing with delivery dates and what not, let alone what you guys are going thru and like Painter said you've all sold current rides making room for the SS. Here's hoping your state gets their act together sooner rather then later. Same goes for Maryland and any other states.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Those who have sold their bike, myself included, are the ones I really feel for. There is only about a month of riding weather left and they will miss out on it. I think that most thought that This problem would never have occurred.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones as the closest dealer to me was in Illinois and so I still plan on purchasing it there when it comes in. However, whether I will be able to ride it or not is a different question altogether.
Painter, You have done a tremendous job in bringing awareness to the Indiana problem. And unlike many you have the inter-strength to keep your cool under difficult conditions. And you never went totally off on the dealers and Polaris for taking money knowing they could not deliver. I am afraid I would have lost it on that point. I am proud to have you as a fellow member on this forum. I wish you and all in Indiana the best and fast solution to the problem there.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Here is the Indiana Code pertaining to Motorcycle:

Ind. Code § 9-13-2-108 : Indiana Code - Section 9-13-2-108: Motorcycle -
"Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle with motive power having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three (3) wheels in contact with the ground. The term does not include a farm tractor or a motorized bicycle. As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.1. -

HERE IS WHAT I RECEIVED TODAY FROM MY INQUIRY FROM THE BUREAU OF MOTOR VEHICLES:

Dear Customer,

At this time, state law prevents the BMV from titling and registering the Polaris Slingshot as a motorcycle. If you have any questions, please contact any Indiana State Senator or Representative about changing state law.

I have called the State Representative's office and ...... NO LUCK. Too much time in the campaign now. Good luck getting a response from the Gov!!! And really I don't know what they would change in the law ! It seems pretty clear cut that the Slingshot meets the requirements for 'Motorcycle' . Can Am got it done. and Polaris can't?

POLARIS,

IT'S TIME TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE IN INDIANA AND MARYLAND!!! PLEASE SEND ONE OF YOUR ATTORNEYS TO THESE STATES AND GET THIS WORKED OUT ONE WAY OR THE OTHER. MANY IN INDIANA HAVE PUT DEPOSITS DOWN, SOLD THEIR RIDES AND HAVE BEEN PATIENTLY WATING DELIVERY OF YOUR SLINGSHOT. NOW WE HAVE HEARD DIRECT FROM THE BMV THAT THEY WILL NOT TITLE OR REGISTER THIS VEHICLE EVEN IF PURCHASED OUT OF STATE!!!!

I REALLY DON'T KNOW BUT SHOULDN'T THIS HAVE BEEN ADDRESSED MONTHS AGO? NOW YOU ARE REACHING A TURNING POINT WITH MANY LOYAL CUSTOMERS IN THESE STATES WHO HAVE PUT THEIR FAITH IN YOU. MANY, INCLUDING MYSELF, WERE PURCHASING IN NEIGHBORING STATES BECAUSE THOSE WERE THE CLOSEST SLINGSHOT DEALERS. NOW GIVING UP MY #1 POSITION WOULD MEAN THAT WITH THE LACK OF PRESENT STOCK AND NOW THE ADDITON OF MORE DEALERS WHO WERE WAITING TO SEE IF IT WOULD BE SUCCESSFUL BEFORE COMMITTING, I AND OTHERS WILL BE PUSHED BACK MONTHS IF NOT YEARS!!!

THANKS A LOT POLARIS FOR TAKING CARE OF US !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Changed my profile pic to my Z06 I sold to make room for my SS. Not happy that Indiana can't get them...... I've been reading that we're not alone. There are several states and Canada saying they're not getting them as well. What the hell?
DSC00010.JPG

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I feel your pain Live4. I was really hoping to hear something good by now and with the release to dealers announced, it makes it doubly hard to swallow.

I have called every person I could think of, I have emailed and corresponded numerous times and still no results. The issue with Indiana is that they are calling the "handlebars" a steering wheel and that does not meet equipment required even though there is nothing in the 1150 pages of the vehicle code that says handlebars cannot be round!

My brother-in-law is an attorney in another state and he puts the blame on Polaris for not getting preapprovals from All states prior to production in writing and, if not, he feels Polaris should've marketed it only in approved states.

I don't know what is happening behind-the-scenes and maybe something good will happen before the 26th. If not, Polaris has opened itself up to tremendous liability due to financial losses incurred by the group of individuals who have put deposits down or sold other vehicles to purchase the SS in the states with "approved" dealers published by Polaris.

I have dealt with many attorneys in my life and I've come to the conclusion that "billable hours" is more important to them than results. Law is a wheel that turns forward and sometimes backward -- but always slow.

I don't know the laws in other states, but in Indiana it IS Illegal at this very moment to even drive a slingshot in this State whether you are a resident or not. The slingshot is by far, in my opinion, the most innovative and exciting motorcycle developed in years. Businesses can design, develop and produce but if they do not execute there can be big problems ahead.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thank you to Lou for posting this on our facebook page:

"Let me set the record straight! Stallion is registered as a motorcycle, has a steering wheel, sold in Indiana. T-REX is registered as a motorcycle, has a steering wheel, sold in Indiana. Tell me why Polaris is being singled out on this issue?"

BMV_Response_Indiana.jpg

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Has anyone heard any promising news as to this issue being resolved? I've heard nothing, but come here several times a day hoping someone will post some good news. Please if anyone hears anything at all positive please let the rest of us know immediately. Such a let down at this point.
Thanks
26 Feb 2015 --- I was the 1st in Indiana to Register, title, and tag a
Slingshot. It is titled as a motorcycle and plated as such.
This was done at the La Porte, IN BMV.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts