Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the fuel range mode it reads 11 mi and in the average fuel economy mode it reads 1.7 mi/gal. It reads this constantly and does not change regardless the amount of fuel in the tank. Any answers to this situation would be greatly appreciated. I went over 1600 miles last week and these figures did not change. :banghead:

·
Registered
66 Posts
In the fuel range mode it reads 11 mi and in the average fuel economy mode it reads 1.7 mi/gal. It reads this constantly and does not change regardless the amount of fuel in the tank. Any answers to this situation would be greatly appreciated. I went over 1600 miles last week and these figures did not change. :banghead:
I have the exact same issue that you have. My sling is out of warranty. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Thanks, Slippery

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
If your fuel level is also not changing, then I'd assume you need a new fuel level sensor. Unfortunately, I believe that is part of the fuel pump and intake filter assembly. The fuel pump can be located as a separate part to replace the fuel pump in the assembly, but I haven't seen a replacement for the fuel level sensing unit. The Fuel pump assembly is #22 in this diagram - 2017 Polaris SLINGSHOT ALL OPTIONS (T17AAPF/AARF/AASF) Fuel System, Fuel Tank Asm. All Options | Cheap Cycle Parts.
Gieven the cost for the fuel pump assembly and the apparent lack of a replacement for the fuel level sensor, it's probably cheaper to just watch your mileage since last fillup. Good Luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks BKL for the information. The fuel level reading was not affected by this change. The only change was the mpg reading and range left before needing more fuel. I guess if it isn’t an easy fix I can live without it.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Thanks BKL for the information. The fuel level reading was not affected by this change. The only change was the mpg reading and range left before needing more fuel. I guess if it isn’t an easy fix I can live without it.
Since the Fuel Level is still properly displayed, the problem should not be with the Fuel Level Sensor. Off the top of my head, this makes me think the problem might be in the ECU, maybe some "frozen"memory that doesn't get updated. Just a guess! Maybe someone with ECU reprogramming experience may have something to add.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Agree with BKL on that thought. you could disconnect the battery for a few minutes might clear the memory and fix on reconnect Just a thought

·
Registered
66 Posts
Since the Fuel Level is still properly displayed, the problem should not be with the Fuel Level Sensor. Off the top of my head, this makes me think the problem might be in the ECU, maybe some "frozen"memory that doesn't get updated. Just a guess! Maybe someone with ECU reprogramming experience may have something to add.
Thanks for the input BKL

·
Registered
289 Posts
Could try resetting (test and replace if needed) the 02 sensor in the exhaust manifold. Also the map and temp sensors on the intake side (unplug/plug back in with ignition turned on but engine not running).
This worked on a GM car for me few years back (same symptoms you describe).

WW

·
Registered
101 Posts
On my 16 SS SL, I reset fuel settings such as MPG and trip odometers each time I fill up. I recall that my fuel usage indicators did not change if I failed to reset. If you have fixed your problem lets us know about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts