Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those who have actually ridden a SS in the 'real world' has anyone been in heavy rain or other bad weather, if so how did it handle? Also, do you get much buffeting behind or passing trucks on the Interstate?
TIA

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
I was fortunately to have great weather on the days that I drove the Slingshot. I did do a good amount of highway driving and high speed two lane driving and I was shocked that I didn't get blown around by passing cars. I even remember bracing myself for an oncoming semi-truck (thinking it was going to blow me off the road) and the SS didn't even flinch! It must be because the SS is slow low and there really isn't any tall flat surfaces to act like a sail in the wind. I was pleasantly surprised at it's highway manors.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was fortunately to have great weather on the days that I drove the Slingshot. I did do a good amount of highway driving and high speed two lane driving and I was shocked that I didn't get blown around by passing cars. I even remember bracing myself for an oncoming semi-truck (thinking it was going to blow me off the road) and the SS didn't even flinch! It must be because the SS is slow low and there really isn't any tall flat surfaces to act like a sail in the wind. I was pleasantly surprised at it's highway manors.
Thank you for the info, it's good to hear.

·
Banned
30 Posts
To those who have actually ridden a SS in the 'real world' has anyone been in heavy rain or other bad weather, if so how did it handle? Also, do you get much buffeting behind or passing trucks on the Interstate?
TIA
Hey Nightflyer, we have competing threads. I just noticed yours. My Sling is amazingly stable on dry pavement with no serious buffetting from trucks on the Interstate Highways. Rain is a problem. I have a thread under the "PROBLEMS FORUM"

LTR

·
Registered
659 Posts
You guys might check out @Slingking epic journey. He has been through rain, high winds, and even hail in his trip back home. I think he probably has the best perspective on weather and slingshot

Stephen

·
Vendor
5,431 Posts
You guys might check out @Slingking epic journey. He has been through rain, high winds, and even hail in his trip back home. I think he probably has the best perspective on weather and slingshot

Stephen
Thank you Stephen. I'm pressed for time at the moment but just a quick note......Everyone's perspective will vary as far as what is "good" or "bad" handling, and what a person can tolerate as far as weather is concerned. I can only give you my perspective.

I have about 2500 straight miles in various back to back weather and road conditions. Thus far I can say the SS handles everything surprisingly well. I hit very high winds in Kansas. It felt like I needed to be on my game. Not because the SS couldn't or didn't handle it, but because it was new to me. The rawness of the ss and different (from a car) characteristics made it more involving. It did however manage the winds better than I personally expected.

The stock Kenda's do their best in the dry on hot days (obviously.) They're not awesome in the wet, but if you don't act like a jackass, you'll find they do fine in the rain (when you're just driving and not hooning around.) Again better than I expected. If you want to race or push the envelope with acceleration in the cold and wet, you'll be disappointed....Unless you're looking to just spin the tire. ;)

Just a little addition about the rain....I've heard a lot of talk about how the windshield pushes the rain out of the cockpit, leaving little water aside from the top of your helmet and a few drops here and there. My experience was vastly different. In the light rain, that holds true. Heavy mist will still swirl around the cockpit and get all over. A torrential down poor and you're soaked. Even at 70-80mph.

Hail......If you can help it, don't get caught in any type of hail. It's stupid. I got lucky. I didn't pay attention to how well the SS handled. I was only going 30mph because it really sucked and all I could think about was where I would get hit next.

I could go on and on about road surfaces and the SS. I'll do a review and cover it later. I also have a new perspective on its performance. Anyway, if you want a more detailed answer to a specific question, let me know. I'm always more than happy to help. :)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Joe Smith, wow that post was a "golden oldie". That was from before they even started delivering them, but I will check out your thread just the same. Thanks @Slingking, I've been in a light rain just not a downpour, I'm putting that experience off as long as possible...LOL

·
Registered
46 Posts
I live in Houston. I'm sure yall have seen the news. SS handles fine in the wet stuff, even on major interstate highways being passed by 18 wheelers being covered in mist.

·
Super Moderator
5,848 Posts
@Joe Smith, wow that post was a "golden oldie". That was from before they even started delivering them, but I will check out your thread just the same. Thanks @Slingking, I've been in a light rain just not a downpour, I'm putting that experience off as long as possible...LOL
It is a golden oldie huh! It is nice to see @Slingking perspective having been in multiple weather conditions in a small amount of time!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts