Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone and I thank you for accepting me in this group/forum. I have decided to transition from four wheeling offroad to a street riding but I am inclined in the Slingshot more than a street bike. I would like your inputs as in which model trim to buy, also if the upgraded ones are worth the money, would it be better to buy it basic and then buy the accessories afterwards, or is there is an upgrade that is almost necessary right off the start. Also which you recommend stick or auto . I live in Miami, Florida, would like to thank you in advance your help.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
The most affordable way to start with a Slingshot is buying used from a private party. Most dealers selling used seem to be pretty high-priced as far as I'm concerned. If you want a warranty, try to find a seller who purchased the extended warranty.The original and extended warranty are transferable when the Slingshot is sold. The Polaris extended warranty can be purchased to provide coverage for up to 5 years and is available from some dealers on the forums at a discounted price. The extended warranty can also be purchased after the initial purchase as long as the original warranty is still in effect, although I don't know if it requires purchasing by the original purchaser.
As far as the different models, if you aren't inclined to make mods, look for a model that has the equipment you want. If you want a specific If you think you will be customizing your Slingshot, I'd recommend the S model since it's the cheapest starting point. If you just want a basic sound system, one is available for the S model. The AutoDrive or manual transmission can also be had on the S model. Paddle Shifters for the AutoDrive provide some driver control for shifting which can feel somewhat abrupt when shift points are left to the ECU. Adding the Performance Tune increases the 2nd Gen engine output to the same level as the much more expensive R model.
This link will allow you to select which model you're interested in and add various accessories such as a sound system with navigation and improved instrumentation over the S model - Slingshot Accessories | Polaris Slingshot Store. If I were in the market for a 2nd Gen Slingshot, I'd probably go for the S model with Autodrive and add the Paddle Shifter Kit and Performance Tune to get the performance level of the R model for a price around $24K or around $23K for an S Manual transmission version similarly equipped. I preferred to install my own audio system and recommend trying to experience the various factory sound system before making your decision. The SL and pricier versions include larger wheels than the S model along with upgrade-able sound systems, although the SL doesn't include the performance options found on the pricier models.
Another thing to be aware of is the factory speaker pods mount to the frame and in my opinion, protrude into the space I like to use to rest my leg against the frame rails. For this reason, I prefer the Roll Hoop mounts which can be had from Polaris or aftermarket. Another reason I like the Roll Hoop pods is I feel the Roll Hoop pods provide better sound since they place the speakers right behind your head.
If interested in a Top, I'd recommend Polaris' Excursion Top. It's competitively priced with aftermarket tops and since it replaces the Roll Hoops, has to be strong enough to function as the Roll Hoops. All of the aftermarket tops I'm aware of include a disclaimer that they are not meant to function as rollover protection.
End of rant. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The most affordable way to start with a Slingshot is buying used fro a private party. Most dealers selling used seem to be pretty high-priced as far as I'm concerned. If you want a warranty, try to find a seller who purchased the extended warranty.The original and extended warranty are transferable when the Slingshot is sold. The Polaris extended warranty can be purchased to provide coverage for up to 5 years and is available from some dealers on the forums at a discounted price. The extended warranty can also be purchased after the initial purchase as long as the original warranty is still in effect, although I don't know if it requires purchasing by the original purchaser.
As far as the different models, if you aren't inclined to make mods, look for a model that has the equipment you want. If you want a specific If you think you will be customizing your Slingshot, I'd recommend the S model since it's the cheapest starting point. If you just want a basic sound system, one is available for the S model. The AutoDrive or manual transmission can also be had on the S model. Paddle Shifters for the AutoDrive provide some driver control for shifting which can feel somewhat abrupt when shift points are left to the ECU. Adding the Performance Tune increases the 2nd Gen engine output to the same level as the much more expensive R model.
This link will allow you to select which model you're interested in and add various accessories such as a sound system with navigation and improved instrumentation over the S model - Slingshot Accessories | Polaris Slingshot Store. If I were in the market for a 2nd Gen Slingshot, I'd probably go for the S model with Autodrive and add the Paddle Shifter Kit and Performance Tune to get the performance level of the R model for a price around $24K or around $23K for an S Manual transmission version similarly equipped. I preferred to install my own audio system and recommend trying to experience the various factory sound system before making your decision. The SL and pricier versions include larger wheels than the S model along with upgrade-able sound systems, although the SL doesn't include the performance options found on the pricier models.
Another thing to be aware of is the factory speaker pods mount to the frame and in my opinion, protrude into the space I like to use to rest my leg against the frame rails. For this reason, I prefer the Roll Hoop mounts which can be had from Polaris or aftermarket. Another reason I like the Roll Hoop pods is I feel the Roll Hoop pods provide better sound since they place the speakers right behind your head.
If interested ina Top, I'd recommend Polaris' Excursion Top. It's competitively priced with aftermarket tops and since it replaces the Roll Hoops, has to be strong enough to function as the Roll Hoops. All of the aftermarket tops I'm aware of include a disclaimer that they are not meant to function as rollover protection.
End of rant. Hope this helps.
Yes indeed it is of great help. I will closely monitor one for sale close to me if possible. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
If looking at the used market, one factor in favor of the 1st Gen over the 2nd Gen is the GM Ecotec motor with it's long history of reliability. The 2nd Gen's Polaris motor is a high revving motor that seems to provide a more motorcycle-like ride in terms of shifting and keeping the motor in it's power band, but doesn't have the history of reliability the GM motor has. I haven't driven a 2nd Gen Slingshot, so I can't offer an experience-based opinion. Best thing to do is talk to as many owners of either generation and hopefully get some driver experience.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Like BKL indicated --- 2015 thru 2019 Slingshots GM motor and 5 speed way to go. I have a 2016 and have over 110,000+ miles in the seat and if I do buy another it will be one in that bracket. Remember the aftermarket mods have a used value of 10% of cost so you can get some great machines very reasonable. A friend just (last Sat) bought a 2016.5 with 7,000 miles, great shape for $10,000.00 --- They are out there just have to look.

·
Registered
92 Posts
X3 on what BKL said.

As much as I hate GM and would never buy another branded vehicle from them, the Ecotech in the Slingshot is close to bulletproof in stock form. Just keep up with oil and filter changes and it will run forever.

Oil changes are simple. A shallow socket for the filter and shallow drain pan (both available on Amazon) and 10 minutes of my time and oil change is done.

Comparing the new Prostar to the Ecotech….. stock vs stock, the Prostar is a more spirited ride. But, $$ for $$ on the used market, you’ll get a much better deal on the gen1. And, there is so much aftermarket add-ons for both performance and look for the gen1, the sky is truly the limit on what you can do.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Buy used and save tons of money unless $$$$ are no concern for you. As far as extended warranties? I have almost 103k on my 2015 and never would have used an extended warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone and I thank you for accepting me in this group/forum. I have decided to transition from four wheeling offroad to a street riding but I am inclined in the Slingshot more than a street bike. I would like your inputs as in which model trim to buy, also if the upgraded ones are worth the money, would it be better to buy it basic and then buy the accessories afterwards, or is there is an upgrade that is almost necessary right off the start. Also which you recommend stick or auto . I live in Miami, Florida, would like to thank you in advance your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello
Every Slingshot owner has a first. Personally, I’m on my second. I first had a used 2015 Polaris SL (stick), and after two years of enjoyment and fun in the sun 🥵, I upgraded to a 2019 Polaris Slingshot SLR with the works, and remembering my previous summers with my Slingshot, I opted to upgrade and spring for the expensive Slingshade roof. What a difference. It’s a much more enjoyable ride in both sun and poor weather.
Recently I’ve upgraded once again to bigger toys; like a 2020 Dodge Charger Scat Pack. Therefore I’m selling my 2019 Polaris Slingshot SLR with Slingshade roof with low miles and tons of personality. $26k
For more info or advice reach me at [email protected]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Last year Covid nearly killed me and knocked me off 2 wheels after 50 years of riding. Still wanting to ride I found a deal on a 2017 SL with 938 miles on it. That is not a typo, 938. They are out there. Maybe not that low but good shape with low miles. Another reason to go used is new ones are months backordered, at least where I live. The 2.4 ecotech has all the juice I want and my mechanic can work on it. Not that I have needed any work. I have no desire to spend thousands on bling, engine dressing or much of anything else. The SS draws more attention than I want. "What is it? How fast will it go? What did it cost?" The only upgrades I have done are brow LEDs and replaced the halogen headlight bulbs with LEDs. Safety mods so idiots see me coming. Caution that comes from riding 2 wheels I guess. The only issue I have had is the infamous brake failure warning. Mine was too old to use the recall for the brake pressure sensors. Local dealer did it for $180. Since you live in Miami you should look for one with a shade top. I didn't see coming the intense heat in the cockpit. Temps above 80 made the SS unbearable. I have resolved that by doubling the firewall insulation, venting the hood, carpeting the cockpit including the tranny tunnel and doing my own cockpit floor level venting (big topic in this forum). We love our SS. Good luck and safe Slingin' !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check on Facebook

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,
I saw your post and I have a 2018 slingshot with abiut 15,000 miles that was custom built from Sarasota flordia. Twist dyancis did 15k in custom accessories and was personally insalted by Slingshot Only. I have pictures posted in ad for sale here under Oldman. Better then a new one, everything top of the line with warranty still good until June 2023. Asking 22k if you are interested. I do live in Reno NV I drove it home from Florida after visiting my daughter. Excellent condition. Thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts