Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
The day I retire from this job I have it all planned out - drive to the middle of the lake, tie the flip phone to a cinder-block
and toss it over the side. I Hate Phones
You don't have to answer...There is voice mail. You can turn it off whenever you'd like. Phones are also great when you're out in the middle of nowhere and you get a flat or lose all power to your SS. Also many like me don't have a phone at home anymore. I was paying $65. a month to make one call, if that.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I bought a pair of helmets from Cycle Gear by Bilt and they came with blue tooth built in. I refuse to connect my phone to them, calls can wait till I get home. I use the bluetooth to talk to passengers and other riders as well as listen to music from an IPod in the glove box...

·
I have moved on!
2,899 Posts
You don't have to answer...There is voice mail. You can turn it off whenever you'd like. Phones are also great when you're out in the middle of nowhere and you get a flat or lose all power to your SS. Also many like me don't have a phone at home anymore. I was paying $65. a month to make one call, if that.
Emergencies that is what the Jitter bug phone in the glove box will be for.
I guess you are fortunate enough to get cell service at your home, here we are not so lucky!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Motorcycle helmet kits and wireless headsets have the same function of connectivity. Regardless of whether you installed it in your car or in your helmet. What I suggest you should do for a wireless headset or a Bluetooth integrated helmet.

·
Premium Member
2020 R SlingShot
143 Posts
This has been one of my disappointments with Polaris. Its single channel BT imposes limits that Harley and other users of harman-kardon entertainment system don't have. Don't get me wrong. I love the Ride Command multi-screen display. It is sharp, crisp and informative. But the comms leave much to be desired.

But to Polaris's defence, side by side seating does not have the same demands as straddle seating. I can talk to my wife doing 70 MPH better in the SS than I could on the Harley using BT helmets.

Having said that, Harley teamed up with Sena and had a device called a WHIM made. It is a multi-channel BT device that centralizes all coms. Your cell phones, BT helmets and the entertainment center all connect to this device. Through proper configuration, you have intercom, phone access from both helmets to call and answer, send and receive text via voice commands, etc. My wife can make a call and we can both talk to the other party. Though we have little interest in group coms, the mesh network allows pretty wide range in the documentation. We did have Sirius radio which we both could access.

Another thing is the harman-kardon entertainment system. I could plug my 128 GB memory stick into the USB drive and the entertainment system would see it. But, as they say in the infomercials, that's not all. The system would see all my playlist and I could select them on the screen by playlist, song, album, genre, artist just like most mp3 players. And I could also use verbal commands to play them. The screen would display the album screen. Since I often made my own custom playlists, I would embed my own JPEGs for album covers. I could also FF though a song along with all the normal operations.

Harley Ultra's do focus on creature comforts far more than Polaris but I love my SS far more than the TriGlide I traded in. I also understand that Polaris has come from a snowmobile/off-road vehicle background and their focus would have been different.
But I do wish they put a little more into Comms aspect.

·
Super Moderator
2,950 Posts

Even though the WHIM is made by SENA, it appears that regular SENA headset will only pair in mono. The SENA headset made for HD does pair in Stereo. I find absolutely unacceptable that your own products are not compatible. Is there a future plan to make the WHIM compatible with non HD headset?
I have the same problem with my befriended Harley group.

We had the 20 S system and wanted to upgrade (because the group of riders became bigger. we bought 15 units of the 30K model.

7 of our group use the infotainment system (Boom Audio) from Harley Davidson. We all installed the Whim unit. And to our disgust the system doesn't work. We are really pissed off about it.
There are other problems too. I've never found H-D electronics to work well, they work, but painfully.

NOTE: I live in Milwaukee and would love to love H-D, but they seem to have Münchausen syndrome by proxy.

·
Premium Member
2020 R SlingShot
143 Posts
HD had Sena use Qualcomm's Apt-X codex. Apt-X is a great codex but when combined with non-Apt-X compatible devices drops stereo.

Most people that complained about the WHIM have not configured it correctly. It takes close to a PhD to understand all the settings. LOL And as I said earlier, setting up group coms wasn't on my wish list but I have been with others that did do it successfully. Not only do you have to set the settings correctly, they have to jive with the settings on your headset. I have seen people passing around cheat-cheats with all the correct settings.

I am not here to promote HD over Polaris. Just pointing out the distinctions.

And I agree that H-D seems lost like a ball in high weeds.

·
Super Moderator
2,950 Posts
Well, maybe. It seems WHIM is H-D proprietary tech, which is what we normally see in H-D, which is why it doesn't work [well].
1. The Harley-Davidson BOOM Audio Wireless Headset Interface Module, referred to as the WHIM, is made by SENA, under contract to and under the direction of the Harley-Davidson Motor Company.

2. The WHIM supports Bluetooth A2DP protocol, or Advanced Audio Distribution Protocol, or "stereo".

3. The WHIM also supports the AptX audio codec, licensed from Qualcomm. This is the "high-def" or high quality audio codec.

4. The Harley-Davidson BOOM Audio Bluetooth headsets are also made by SENA, under the direction of and under contract with the Harley-Davidson Motor Company.

5. When you pair your Bluetooth headset with the WHIM, the WHIM looks for specific programming that is only in the BOOM Audio Bluetooth headsets. If it doesn't see that programming, it turns off stereo sound and turns off high def audio.

6. Only the BOOM Audio 20S EVO headset supports both stereo and high def audio. The other two BOOM Audio Bluetooth headsets support stereo sound, but not high def audio.

7. Every other Bluetooth headset in the world, including the "non-Harley" SENA 20S and 20S EVO, will have their stereo capabilities shut off if you pair them with the WHIM. To the best of my knowledge, there are no Bluetooth headsets with the AptX codec, other than the BOOM Audio 20S EVO.
Like most things Harley, I just wish it worked well. The company steered away from KISS years ago, unfortunately. I like simple, old Harleys, new Harleys, and many of their products. Thanks for your posts, I was completely interested and had to investigate.

I'm not promoting Polaris audio either--it works okay, but not great. I pulled it and put in a custom design.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts