Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a wireless speaker/mic system set up in my helmet. I'm using the branded Slingshot helmet.

Is there a difference between the motorcycle specific in-helmet kits and, say, a wireless earpiece like a Motorola Jawbone? Is there a reason a headset typically used for cars wouldn't be a good choice assuming it fits under your helmet?

What do you guys use/recommend?

·
Just say "NO" to PIMPS!
1,777 Posts
I want to get a wireless speaker/mic system set up in my helmet. I'm using the branded Slingshot helmet.

Is there a difference between the motorcycle specific in-helmet kits and, say, a wireless earpiece like a Motorola Jawbone? Is there a reason a headset typically used for cars wouldn't be a good choice assuming it fits under your helmet?

What do you guys use/recommend?
A motorcycle one would work very well. Many provide different power options and the 12v cigarette lighter is common. I have lost track of the brands out there but there have been some great advancement. Comfort is essential otherwise no one would want to use it. You also need to decide if you want just intercom or longer range to others in other vehicles.
2015 Best Motorcycle Bluetooth Headsets

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see. So what you're saying is the motorcycle communication systems are intended for talking directly with another person you are riding with. That makes sense. But this isn't what I'm looking for. What I want is a Bluetooth headset for my phone. I understand what the difference is now, thanks!

·
Just say "NO" to PIMPS!
1,777 Posts
I see. So what you're saying is the motorcycle communication systems are intended for talking directly with another person you are riding with. That makes sense. But this isn't what I'm looking for. What I want is a Bluetooth headset for my phone. I understand what the difference is now, thanks!
That link I posted does a very good job of explaining.

·
Registered
626 Posts
read up on the sena smh 10 ; maybe even a newer version now. Bluetooth to radio ,phone, your passenger and I believe up to 4 others. Jam up sound in the helmet speakers also. Can be voice activated, continuous on or on with touch of button on side of helmet. Probably the top choice of most bikers. Battery charge lasts me all day at the minimum. Usually I only charge it 1 time a week.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Smh 10 rocks. Have one specific to my bell mag 9. I think the bike headsets have noise cancelling which is necessary at 80 mph in a sling or on a bike.

Sent from my brain using an iPad

·
I have moved on!
2,899 Posts
Kami, A main reason for to get the bike out is so I DON'T have to pay any attention to the phone. I do carry an OLD fashion flip phone and can hear it ring when it's on my belt. If I'm expecting a call
I can always pull over and give an answer if I chose.
EJ - I only own a flip phone (so watch that old fashion stuff) at Christmas my 9 year old nephew said to "Dude you need a new phone, I don't even think they make those anymore"
Personally I enjoy the privacy - smart phones just seem to consume everyone who owns them.

·
I have moved on!
2,899 Posts
I have the Scala Rider G9 - it took a bit of time to figure it out but it works great.
Tons of options if you are a tech freak. If you are like me and can't even program a remote it is a bit overwhelming.
We just happened to catch a good Black Friday sale or I wouldn't have spent so much.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
EJ - I only own a flip phone (so watch that old fashion stuff) at Christmas my 9 year old nephew said to "Dude you need a new phone, I don't even think they make those anymore"
Personally I enjoy the privacy - smart phones just seem to consume everyone who owns them.
I am with you, I only have a flip phone and thinking about getting rid of it. But the wife would have a fit not being able to get in touch with me.

·
I have moved on!
2,899 Posts
The day I retire from this job I have it all planned out - drive to the middle of the lake, tie the flip phone to a cinder-block
and toss it over the side. I Hate Phones

·
Registered
245 Posts
i use a chatter box x1 slim ...which is very popular here in so cal in the bike scene. being in a bike club, the sena and scala headsets would be useless since you are limited to only communicating with a few people....the chatterbox uses actual radio frequencies so theres no limit to how many people you can communicate with. it also has bluetooth for your phone and music and even a built in fm tuner. having said that, for what you need, you're probably better off with the sena or scala, or even just a bluetooth headset if you only need it to communicate via phone. i've heard that the sena and scala's sound quality are the best. the chatterbox sounds like a walkie talkie (because it pretty much is), but can communicate up to a 5 mile radius (or so they say). the x2 slim just came out and was supposed to improve the sound quality, but i dont know how it sounds. it runs about 350 while you can find the older model (x1 slim) for around 150-200.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
+1 SMH10

Many of the motorcycle units are made to stay in the helmet and be comfortable. Jawbones, and other phone Bluetooths are not made to be inside a helmet and could be painful once a helmet is pushing it into your ear.

Jawbones work with half helmets but the wind noise can be pretty bad with them. The motorcycle ones usually have boom mics which cut down that noise dramatically.

·
Registered
89 Posts
SENA 20S, was our choice, seems to work very well for passenger intercom.
Can connect to phone, SS radio or other riders in a group.
SENA claims a 2KM range, have not tried that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts