Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. I'M 100 PERCENT DISABLED. I HAVE ORDERED AN LX MODEL. MY CONCERN IS STEPING INTO AND GETTING OUT OF UNIT. I CAN STAND AND WALK SOME. I HAVE TWO GOLDWING TRIKES...NO PROBLEM GETTING ON OR OFF...BOTH EQUIPPED WITH TRAILER HITCH..PULL TRAILER WITH ELECTRIC WHEELCHAIR. .WILL SLINGSHOT HAVE A PLACE TO MOUNT TRAILER HITCH?

·
Registered
12 Posts
nothing official yet , gonna have to wait until actual units become available and see what the aftermarket is going to do with it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
John where there is money to be made, Somebody will figure out away.

If they don't call me, my brother of The highway.

I'm from Oklahoma, If we can't figure it out nobody can

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John where there is money to be made, Somebody will figure out away.

I'm from Oklahoma, If we can't figure it out nobody can
sloride, post: 3906, member: 404"]John where there is money to be made, Somebody will figure out away.

I'm from Oklahoma, If we can't figure it out nobody can[/QUOTE]
THERE AIN'T much money CAN'T fix...like mama said it WON'T buy happiness. .but it will PERMIT. You to be miserable in a better part of town...rubber side down

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
As far as the trailer hitch goes, you'll probably have to go aftermarket. If you haven't already seen them, some of the videos of the dealers driving them at the recent show seem to indicate it shouldn't be too bad getting in and out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
  1. I'M 100 PERCENT DISABLED. I HAVE ORDERED AN LX MODEL. MY CONCERN IS STEPING INTO AND GETTING OUT OF UNIT. I CAN STAND AND WALK SOME. I HAVE TWO GOLDWING TRIKES...NO PROBLEM GETTING ON OR OFF...BOTH EQUIPPED WITH TRAILER HITCH..PULL TRAILER WITH ELECTRIC WHEELCHAIR. .WILL SLINGSHOT HAVE A PLACE TO MOUNT TRAILER HITCH?
You should revise your 100% disabled statement, to be more clear. That's like saying you're completely immobile, and can't see, hear or speak. Clearly, you have sight and can (at the minimum) operate your head, arms and legs to some degree. Not trying to be a dick, but it seems you are still blessed with many abilities - not 100% disabled.

That being said, ideally you're going to have to be able to step into the SS with one leg, while supporting your weight with the other leg on the pavement. Not ideally, you could probably sit on the side and rotate legs inside, but then strong arms will need to compensate. While inside, you'll need clutch, brake and fuel pedal ability. Getting out I think you'll need to bring your legs up against the seat and kinda stand up, then swing a leg out over the side and reach the pavement.

If your legs are really the problem, and you don't always travel with someone who could hoist you in and out, I'm thinking the SS may be a hell of a challenge, even if you had a new automatic transmission and hand controls installed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should revise your 100% disabled statement, to be more clear. That's like saying you're completely immobile, and can't see, hear or speak. Clearly, you have sight and can (at the minimum) operate your head, arms and legs to some degree. Not trying to be a dick, but it seems you are still blessed with many abilities - not 100% disabled.

That being said, ideally you're going to have to be able to step into the SS with one leg, while supporting your weight with the other leg on the pavement. Not ideally, you could probably sit on the side and rotate legs inside, but then strong arms will need to compensate. While inside, you'll need clutch, brake and fuel pedal ability. Getting out I think you'll need to bring your legs up against the seat and kinda stand up, then swing a leg out over the side and reach the pavement.

If your legs are really the problem, and you don't always travel with someone who could hoist you in and out, I'm thinking the SS may be a hell of a challenge, even if you had a new automatic transmission and hand controls installed.

, member: 142"]You should revise your 100% disabled statement, to be more clear. That's like saying you're completely immobile, and can't see, hear or speak. Clearly, you have sight and can (at the minimum) operate your head, arms and legs to some degree. Not trying to be a dick, but it seems you are still blessed with many abilities - not 100% disabled.

If your legs are really the problem, and you don't always travel with someone who could hoist you in and out, I'm thinking the SS may be a hell of a challenge, even if you had a new automatic transmission and hand controls installed.[/QUOTE]
I SEE I WAS NOT VERY CLEAR...I'M A 100 PERCENT DISABLED VET...MY LEGS ARE THE PROBLEM....I CAN WALK SOME..I CAN OPERATE CLUTCH...WAS WONDERING ABT GETTING IN AND OUT...IF IT IS NO WORSE THAN A BATHTUB..I'LL MAKE DO...THANKS FOR UR HELP.

·
Registered
497 Posts
John there's no doubt the slingshots going to be a bit of a challenge for you.

I don't think getting in is going to be such an issue. getting out you may have to be a bit creative. if that means you have to ask for a little help every now and then, well I've never been around a group of bikers yet that wasn't willing to help, especially for one of our veterans that put his body and his life on the line for our freedom.

don't give up brother, when you give up you're done. push it till there ain't nothing left to push.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John there's no doubt the slingshots going to be a bit of a challenge for you.

I don't think getting in is going to be such an issue. getting out you may have to be a bit creative. if that means you have to ask for a little help every now and then, well I've never been around a group of bikers yet that wasn't willing to help, especially for one of our veterans that put his body and his life on the line for our freedom.

don't give up brother, when you give up you're done. push it till there ain't nothing left to push.
THANKS FOR UR INPUT..never met a biker I DIDN'T like..

·
Registered
541 Posts
John
If there's a will there's a way.
I'm also a Veteran and disabled.
I try to live life to it's fullest.
I plan on buying a SS next year.
Yes we are disabled but neither of
Us are going to let it stop us.
It will be more challenging for us but we'll still be grinning ear to ear
just like everyone else.