Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
FYI, all swingarms (both pre- & post-recall) have a threaded hole on top of swingarm, forward belt side. Originally, the intent was for a belt guard mounting point but Polaris changed the design. I have a Metricks fender so hole is in use but if you have an uncovered hole there, you might want to put a bolt or plug in it (if I remember correctly, it's a M6 x 1.0 - someone please correct me if that's wrong). The hole goes all the way through into the swingarm hollow main cavity, thus allowing entry of dirt & moisture. Remember that your speed sensor is at a low point, where all of this crap accumulates (not to mention the passenger side needle bearing, already problem-prone, which has a lip seal but is not truly sealed).

Bolt hole - middle of picture:

IMG_5471.JPG

Speed sensor output, bottom rear of swingarm:

IMG_5472.JPG

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
FYI, all swingarms (both pre- & post-recall) have a threaded hole on top of swingarm, forward belt side. Originally, the intent was for a belt guard mounting point but Polaris changed the design. ..
You know.... I looked at that, and wondered if it went all the way thru. I thought nah..... they wouldn't do that, now would they?

Oh well.... easy to put a screw in it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Good tip Tripod. No telling how much water gets in there when washing off the swingarm! Dang, that pisses me off because I squirt that thing down regularly with Simple Green and hose it off!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Pictures courtesy of @Neosolidus to prove the point:
(Thanks, Bro)
Thanx from me too. I was planning on changing out the oil to get rid of the whine, just moving the schedule up to tomorrow.

In my best Homer Simpson....... DOH!!!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I am on the fence about getting my swingarm replaced. I have 34k without any issues. I can see me now bitching about the new swingarm not as good as my original.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I am on the fence about getting my swingarm replaced. I have 34k without any issues. I can see me now bitching about the new swingarm not as good as my original.
You might want to rethink that. There is a definite casting improvement on the new swingarms vs. the old ones. A failure like this at the wrong time could kill you...

IMG_5477.JPG
IMG_5478.JPG
IMG_5479.JPG

·
Registered
619 Posts
OK @Tripod, both of my rubbers are in place. I assume one is to de-sensitize and the other to increase the girth a little....so now what am I supposed to do?

Oh wait, you guys are talking about different rubbers...guess I better get dressed and go check those....

:D

Seriously though, thanks for the post Tri -- checked mine and they are OK.

·
Registered
361 Posts
FYI, all swingarms (both pre- & post-recall) have a threaded hole on top of swingarm, forward belt side. Originally, the intent was for a belt guard mounting point but Polaris changed the design. I have a Metricks fender so hole is in use but if you have an uncovered hole there, you might want to put a bolt or plug in it (if I remember correctly, it's a M6 x 1.0 - someone please correct me if that's wrong). The hole goes all the way through into the swingarm hollow main cavity, thus allowing entry of dirt & moisture. Remember that your speed sensor is at a low point, where all of this crap accumulates (not to mention the passenger side needle bearing, already problem-prone, which has a lip seal but is not truly sealed).

Bolt hole - middle of picture:

View attachment 130225

Speed sensor output, bottom rear of swingarm:

View attachment 130233
omg...why would they do that.....I don't get it....

·
Registered
361 Posts
Pictures courtesy of @Neosolidus to prove the point:
(Thanks, Bro)

View attachment 130241
View attachment 130249
hey tripod....thanks for the info....I have been looking at every swingarm photo I can find and there all open....and Polaris and our mechanic has never said anything...and there's people on the forum that have over 25000 mi on there sling no problem....do you think its a vent...is there a drain hole on the bottom of the swingarm.....thanks for all the info....

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
hey tripod....thanks for the info....I have been looking at every swingarm photo I can find and there all open....and Polaris and our mechanic has never said anything...and there's people on the forum that have over 25000 mi on there sling no problem....do you think its a vent...is there a drain hole on the bottom of the swingarm.....thanks for all the info....
Reread the actual (newest) recall (original post in this thread). They state the missing grommets can result in road debris contaminating the rear wheel speed sensor; also, that this contamination will disable the ABS & Traction/Stability Control, increasing the risk of a crash.

The hole on top (that's always been there) is yet another source for contaminants (dirt/moisture) to enter. Leave uncovered at your own risk...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Reread the actual (newest) recall (original post in this thread). They state the missing grommets can result in road debris contaminating the rear wheel speed sensor; also, that this contamination will disable the ABS & Traction/Stability Control, increasing the risk of a crash.

The hole on top (that's always been there) is yet another source for contaminants (dirt/moisture) to enter. Leave uncovered at your own risk...
Just came from dealer as my swingarm missing grommets dealer say's they know nothing about recall and it doesn't show up on Polaris website yet will try to check out when it will be available.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Just came from dealer as my swingarm missing grommets dealer say's they know nothing about recall and it doesn't show up on Polaris website yet will try to check out when it will be available.
It says right in the recall that "The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule." This is a recall as announced by NHTSA when they were notified by Polaris. The OP has a link to the recall.

If you go to that link, there is a link to a pdf file that you can print out (the pdf file is the pic I showed in the OP - it also gives the Polaris # for the recall, which is T-17-04; that #, your dealer could maybe have found...?!)

Here it is again:

IMG_5425.PNG

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
... you might want to put a bolt or plug in it (if I remember correctly, it's a M6 x 1.0 - someone please correct me if that's wrong).
Yes, it's an M6, just put one in. 1/2" - 1" should work well. I also added a nylon gasket.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Ok so they will install new grommets. Are they going to check for contamination and remediate any issues? Flush the arm? Putting in the plugs will seal in any contaminants, expect problems down the road.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts