1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
567 Posts
So have to ask. Not sure of your accident case.. But have to ask why you getting 4 point belts?
And are you you going to use stock seats with them or how you going to hold belts behind seat to stay in place ??
I use them and feel much better with Schroth belts but also have the seats to support using these belts.
Know the wife into heavy cornering stays more stationary with four point than OEM belts.
I also feel in a rollover you would have less chance of shoulder and head going out the side and in head on you have
more belt support with less chance of twisting upper body with OEM single belt.
But that is not to say 4 points do not have their faults. One I know of is trying to lean forward at stop signs
to see traffic and restricts viewing .
But wanted to see your views after having a accident.
Welcome back and happy SSing.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Well, it's been 2 years since the Batmobile was totalled (see thread http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/the-batmobile-is-totalled.9889/ ). Picking up a used 2016 SL tomorrow with only 4K Miles. Took 2 years to settle lawsuit (F'n Lawyers!! - that's a whole 'nutter story). And I've already ordered 4-pt seat belts from SlingMods.com!

View attachment 154961
Glad you are getting back in the saddle! Hopefully you are 100%. There is nothing worse than the chronic pain that can linger after trauma like that. That is something that is hard for the lawyers to fight for. SLING ON!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcomes. Yeah, this isn't meant to be a lawyer bashing post. I can only say that in this case, my pain, broken bones, chronic issues, health, etc was not really considered . In fact, when I actually mentioned it, my lawyer told me it doesn't matter!

But, back to the Sling. I am going with 4-point seat belts because I feel that the 3-pt did as much damage to me as anything. Yes, it was better than not having a seat belt, but my right shoulder is still a problem 2 yrs later. The SlingShot did it's job in protecting me: The engine and transmission dropped down and to the side, the frame spread out around the passenger compartment, the steering wheel (aftermarket) collapsed in. A passenger would have survived it too. My injuries came from hitting the seat belt and feet/legs slamming up under the dash. That is - I hit the SlingShot, it didn't hit me. I am hoping that 4-pts would hold me more secure and spread some of the load to both sides of my body in case of another accident.

I hadn't really thought about the ability to lean forward so maybe I'll have to work out something. But as far as I'm concerned, 4 pts should be standard equipment in the SlingShot. For right now, I'll stay with the stock seats, but man, I really like the look of those PRPs! (Even already designed them and sitting in my SlingMods.com shopping cart!) Maybe tax refund . . . .

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it picked up today. SlingShot was in BETTER condition that I expected. I couldn't find a scratch on it. And it came with keyless ignition! (Key fob in the pocket, press start button!) Forgot how easy it was to spin the rear tire coming out of the dealership. SMOKED IT!

And I'm really re-thinking the 4 points. Re-reading about them, I didn't think about that they also prevent use of the behind seat storage without removal. I dunno. I was in a crash with the stock 3pts and got hurt pretty badly. But I lived. Would 4 pts be worth all the added inconvenience? I'm open to a whole bunch of opinions . . . .

·
Registered
567 Posts
Like any safety item we use. Just like a car fire in auto. A seat belt could kill you .
No matter what we do for safety their may be a instance that it causes another problem .
Accidents are a game of inches at times and how we react at that moment ?
I have 4 point to hold my wife in going extreme into corners.
Also for head on accidents that I saw going on in this forum years ago.
The 4 point having more belt on chest and equal on both sides to prevent your
body from twisting and in case of roll over to keep you more planted into seat.
But then it could back fire in other situations but you make the choice .
Yes they do at times restrict you at certain times at stop signs to lean forward and see
and they do make moving seat to get into back a little awkward.
When driving local I usually just use OEM belts and when on interstates use 4 point.
So like any safety you make the decision at time what you feel secures you.
But as you know and recovering we can not make them perfectly secure in every situation.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi all,
I have a solution for all the concerns. If we climb into the sling, and have someone spray foam us into the seats, we might have a better chance in a crash. Just like some sensitive parts are shipped in boxes...spray foamed into place. Hmm?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts