Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the SS SL!! This site is very informative & lots of fun. It seems from what I've heard so far. That the SS was rushed a bit. The quality was overlooked here & there. I was talking to a salesperson & they mentioned. They're shocked Polaris didn't use their own motor. The conclusion was Polaris might have wanted to get the SS in production & went with the GM motor. What you guys & gals think?

·
Registered
542 Posts
In my humble opinion Polaris did it right using a proven power plant. As for any possible blemishes that can be expected with new models. Nothing I've seen or heard of will keep me from owning one.

·
Registered
198 Posts
In my humble opinion Polaris did it right using a proven power plant. As for any possible blemishes that can be expected with new models. Nothing I've seen or heard of will keep me from owning one.
I got to go to the dealer yesterday and examine and I sit in a SL for a couple hours. I was awful concerned about posts here about fit and finish, blemishes, misaligned panels etc. mine should be coming in soon, so really checked it out closely and found no flaws that would create a problem with taking possession.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Chi Dude, only you can decide what works for you. I never bought into the "stay away from the first model year" of anything. If nothing else, it allows you to be one of the first on your block to own something new and exciting. If there's an issue with the product, most companies will go out of their way to make sure they are taken care of as long as their complaints are justified. Why wait until the newnesss is gone and you're one of the last ones to buy something you really want?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chi Dude, only you can decide what works for you. I never bought into the "stay away from the first model year" of anything. If nothing else, it allows you to be one of the first on your block to own something new and exciting. If there's an issue with the product, most companies will go out of their way to make sure they are taken care of as long as their complaints are justified. Why wait until the newnesss is gone and you're one of the last ones to buy something you really want?
I hear ya!! I wouldn't be able to hit the streets until next spring anyway. I have time to go back & forth a million more times. The SS has really side tracked my plans to buy a Harley!!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Polaris makes great engines. But they are small, hi-revving little boogers. The massive (for this application) 2.4L engine from the General is a low-reving torquey powerplant that will probably be the last functioning part when the Slingshot is ready to retire and head to the recycling bin!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I got to go to the dealer yesterday and examine and I sit in a SL for a couple hours. I was awful concerned about posts here about fit and finish, blemishes, misaligned panels etc. mine should be coming in soon, so really checked it out closely and found no flaws that would create a problem with taking possession.
I am looking at this thing as a road legal ATV. I expect similar fit and finish to an ATV. It is not a new Vette. Also, I am THRILLED with the engine choice, a company the size of Polaris is a fly spec compared to a world power house like GM. To think Polaris could even spend 10% of what GM spent developing this power plant is crazy. For all their problems, GM is still a heavy hitter and makes products that are a pretty high quality in general. Because of this move, the SS is introduced and there are already respected tuners working on it. If it had some little polaris ATV engine or some brand new SS only Polaris engine, we would wait YEARS for this kind of attention!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If the SS had a Polaris designed engine - I would not have bought it.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
fit and finish are 8.5 to 9 on a 10 scale. Here is a shot of the edge where you get in. Its rough. But its a freaking motorcycle. Enjoy it. I would buy again in an instant.

·
Registered
172 Posts
One of the reasons I am buying a slingshot is because of the proven reliability of the GM motor and trans and all the upgrades that I can do too the motor

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hey, I will fix all imperfections on my SL and sell it, it will be perfect. Oh by the way price will be 37,500.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Polaris saved some money on R&D by working out a deal on some proven crate motors from GM in my opinion. I like that there is a heavy-duty car powertrain running throughout.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I don't think I'll ever get tired of seeing that. All my life, coolness on such a level as this was reserved only for the über rich. Now it's my turn!

·
Registered
686 Posts
And if that really bugs someone, they could take it to an auto upholstery ship and have them put some piping on the seams; red might look nice on an SL.

fit and finish are 8.5 to 9 on a 10 scale. Here is a shot of the edge where you get in. Its rough. But its a freaking motorcycle. Enjoy it. I would buy again in an instant.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My Shelby cobra was a kit car and wasn't perfect but nobody I ever met seemed to care. The lines weren't perfect, seams not perfect and was 35k. There wasn't another car around that matched the excitement when driving it. Still looking forward to getting my SL hopefully soon!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts