Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Slingshot is neat, have to admit that. Is it worth it most likely yes. But after seeing a video of someone driving theirs through a state park in Nevada and hearing the driveline sounds, I don't know anymore. It just doesn't sound cool.

I already own a car that can corner at 1g, and if I want the open air experience there's my Indian Chieftain, or my 2013 Mustang GT Convertible.

My local Dodge dealer just got in a 2015 Challenger SRT and a 2015 Challenger Scatpack. I am so tempted to forgo the Slingshot in lieu of one of those.

The lack of communication from Polaris and the dealer on when I would be actually getting the thing is disheartening and not very motivating at this point.

And then there's that horrible driveline noise.....like an old Divco Milk Truck.
image.jpg

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
The Slingshot is neat, have to admit that. Is it worth it most likely yes. But after seeing a video of someone driving theirs through a state park in Nevada and hearing the driveline sounds, I don't know anymore. It just doesn't sound cool.

I already own a car that can corner at 1g, and if I want the open air experience there's my Indian Chieftain, or my 2013 Mustang GT Convertible.

My local Dodge dealer just got in a 2015 Challenger SRT and a 2015 Challenger Scatpack. I am so tempted to forgo the Slingshot in lieu of one of those.

The lack of communication from Polaris and the dealer on when I would be actually getting the thing is disheartening and not very motivating at this point.

And then there's that horrible driveline noise.....like an old Divco Milk Truck. View attachment 3365
It's your choice. You'll not find any other ride that does so much for so little that is street legal, mass produced and turns heads wherever it goes. The noise is most likely from the angle drive and will quiet over time, and even if it doesn't, who cares. Ever drive a street rod back in the days with a quick change rear end and listen to that howl? With the s/s you'll have tons of fun for under $20,000 so do the math. Let's call it 2 tons of fun (4,000 pounds worth) for $19,999 - that's, less than $5.00 per fun, You can't see a good movie for less than that

·
Registered
124 Posts
Try riding a Goldwing for several thousand miles,,,it gives a whole new meaning to gear whine, almost 17,000 on mine this year,,,sounded like the day I drove it out the door.

Tom

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
It wasn't going to make you cool anyway . No point in suffering buyers remorse just to get early model one, when they will be available latter as long as you are in good health .Pass for now what the big deal ?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I am not waiting but can respect anyone that does. Everyone has different priorities and situations in life. As others have stated it should get better with age and there will be more options available, lots of aftermarket goodies that will have been tried and tested. Even if the price of the SS increases the quality of the vehicle and knowledge gained through others experiences will more than compensate.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I can tell you that if I had had a test drive first I probably would not have purchased it. After the first ten miles of my wife's first drive she would not have wanted it. Now after around 350 miles we love it and are damned glad we bought it. It's a blast to drive but not for everyone.

On another note, I am searching for a Divco for my wife. So if you know of one with a good body for sale please let me know.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
It's got that roadster sound to it. What's not to love?

Sound is also the last thing I'm worried about in the SS. The riding experience is king.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All valid points for sure, and I am mulling them. Firstly, I would like to address the "Attention Grabbing" aspect of it. "That" is the very last thing I am interested in. I am not like a lot of other folks. I do not seek, and in fact avoid attention. I have a couple of adages I try to live by. "Be the Grey Man" and "Watch Your Six At All Times"

I live in a rural area, with beautiful roads, and a distinct lack of knuckleheads. I plan my life and day to day activities around avoidance of the masses.

The Goldwing thing? Yep, been there and done that. I traded a Harley in for one once, and the milk truck descriptive fit it as well. That was one of the dumbest things I ever did.

Lastly, as Kip pointed out, it's the riding experience. And that's where once again I don't run with the herd. When I drive, that's what I do...."Drive" I don't fiddle around with all manner of electronic doodads and cup holders, I drive and I have the ability to drive in the upper percentile. I have racing heritage.
Same when I ride a Motorcycle, my Indian has a sound system, and in a year of ownership, I think I used it once. Cell phones? Jeesh, that's the last thing I need when I'm trying to escape on my bike or in one of my cars. Yes, they are great for emergencies, but to keep track of the moronic texts and emails and social calls? Nah, when I'm done, I'll turn it on and get back to ya if it was important.
I preordered a base Slingshot, not with the intent of putting in my own sound system. Don't want it and don't need it. Sure would be nice if the Slingshot sounded a little sexier than the old Divco though. One nice thing about the Slingshot over the Divco...you don't have to double clutch.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Try riding a Goldwing for several thousand miles,,,it gives a whole new meaning to gear whine, almost 17,000 on mine this year,,,sounded like the day I drove it out the door.

Tom
Tom, put 90k on my "06 and it sounded and rode like it came off the showroom floor. Put a few 1200 mile days on it and still felt great.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
It's got that roadster sound to it. What's not to love?

Sound is also the last thing I'm worried about in the SS. The riding experience is king.
If it sounded like a fartbox car I wouldn't touch it .

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Slingshot is neat, have to admit that. Is it worth it most likely yes. But after seeing a video of someone driving theirs through a state park in Nevada and hearing the driveline sounds, I don't know anymore. It just doesn't sound cool. . View attachment 3365
You probably don't want it.... leave it for someone else to enjoy . It's a toy .. pure toy.

And that whine .. which I didn't really notice for the first few hundred miles is pretty noticeable. Sounds more like a turbo... or something.. it's the belt back there. After 500 miles.. I actually sort of like it. Miles 250-400... I was thinking.. .WTF!?!?

Pulled up for gas today and .... fended off 1/2 doz folks with questions ..... then .. another dozen folks around it when I came out after going inside... Then, watched a traffic jam outside, while getting my haircut inside... Then , tore up the roads on the way home..

Nope.. you don't want it...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Whine don't bother me now. It did when I first drove it, thought something was wrong. Now when whipping past cars I hit it and is sounds like a turbo spooling up.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Whine don't bother me now. It did when I first drove it, thought something was wrong. Now when whipping past cars I hit it and is sounds like a turbo spooling up.
All you need is a "whistler tip" in your exhaust and you and skip the turbo. :cool:;)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Think that pretty much sums things up Wriggly, you probably don't want it.
But thanks for sharing why not.
I for one have no intentions of trying to sell one. And few on the forum are.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Guys - something to consider that another poster brought up.

Let's say we all own the initial delivery models and they then get their shit together and get all of those things we are reading about resolved.

What does that mean for resale? If you are like me, you don't keep your toys forever. Will it be hard to sell one of the early delivery units?

Something to think about.

·
2,333 Posts
If nobody buys the initial delivery models you may not have to worry about any in the future.

Something to think about ......

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
So far we have no indication that Polaris is just going to ignore the issues that have come up with the initial units. Some have already reported that substandard body panels will be replaced under warranty. The low idle issue on downshift is also being researched and I am confident will be solved under warranty as well.

What could happen is that warranty costs on the initial units becomes so high that base prices increase significantly to cover the lost revenues. That means 2016 owners will simply pay more to offset the costs of early adopters. Early adopters will have perfectly fine Slingshots that will maintain resale due to the increased prices of new units.

Of course this is all just speculation but I am going to give Polaris a chance to fix any and all early model issues before drawing any conclusions or worrying about any significant loss of value on my purchase. Of course, I have to take delivery of mine first before any of this even means anything.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Guys - something to consider that another poster brought up.

Let's say we all own the initial delivery models and they then get their shit together and get all of those things we are reading about resolved.

What does that mean for resale? If you are like me, you don't keep your toys forever. Will it be hard to sell one of the early delivery units?

Something to think about.
It's a toy . A street legal gokart . It will be hard to sell something I have driven off a ramp going to the world slingshot jumping record . It's a cash money deal on a toy.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts