Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Illinois enacted law 1/1/2015 making the SS an Autocycle designation. The new registration will have its own autocycle plate ($30 increase over motorcycle) and will allow any one to ride it with only a class D car license.

The official Bill is: SB 3130

The public act reading is here:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=098-0777

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I kind of like the autocycle designation, I'd like to see how this works in these states. Hopefully it makes the SS more accessible to more people in getting approvals and having people without motorcycle certs to get one themselves (not to mention creating a 'reemerged' class of racing vehicles).

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vermont had this in effect July 1st, 2014. Title 23 V.S.A. 4(18). They did this in preparation for the release of the SS. I think Polaris can start to release them now!!! Hint, Hint, Polaris
OK , I didnt research it, I dont know if I can change the heading to Second state go autocycle...LOL

·
2,333 Posts
So no safety class or added certification required .... any 16 year old with a drivers licence is legal to operate an SS ....

·
Registered
266 Posts
WA state doesn't have a specific autocycle designation -- Slingshots are licensed as motorcycles. There is a 'trike' drivers' license endorsement required for CanAms, Tri-Glides, etc., but the Slingshot is exempt from that requirement. Anyone with a standard drivers' license can operate a trike that has seats in at least a partially enclosed seating area, seat belts, and a steering wheel (Slingshot). So, in essence, they have carved out rules specific to 'autocycles'. The license fee is the same as motorcycles -- which is the same as cars weighing 4,000 lb or less.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Vermont had this in effect July 1st, 2014. Title 23 V.S.A. 4(18). They did this in preparation for the release of the SS. I think Polaris can start to release them now!!! Hint, Hint, Polaris
Now that they have designed this new class, I wonder if they'll allow a learners permit to allow a licensed driver in the passenger seat, while a learner tries to learn how to ride one?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I wonder if this will open the door for the Big Three automakers to start making three wheeled vehicles called autocycles to avoid all safety and crash tests. Sure has opened the door.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
More like open the flood gates and let the accidents with serious injuries begin. While it is great for Polaris to have a wider audience and a larger market, with that comes an exponential increase in visibility regarding the greater number of accidents, deaths, higher insurance rates, lawsuits and the inevitable follow-on big brother legislation for better safety regulations on "auto-cycles." Essentially this same market that could make this class of vehicles a widespread success could just as quickly kill it off completely.

I may be in the minority here but I was all for the MC endorsement requirement for a vehicle sitting in a rather large loophole. I still say it takes just enough additional effort to get an MC license to weed out a majority without the skills and/or required attention span to avoid getting into accidents in the first place. It's the general population of drivers that will kill this thing off.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
These are all good points, but we're also already talking about a government so bent on restricting these vehicles already, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before some really hard autocycle legislation comes down and these too will get restrictions that will make us want them to be reclassed again... :rolleyes:

·
2,333 Posts
More like open the flood gates and let the accidents with serious injuries begin. While it is great for Polaris to have a wider audience and a larger market, with that comes an exponential increase in visibility regarding the greater number of accidents, deaths, higher insurance rates, lawsuits and the inevitable follow-on big brother legislation for better safety regulations on "auto-cycles." Essentially this same market that could make this class of vehicles a widespread success could just as quickly kill it off completely.

I may be in the minority here but I was all for the MC endorsement requirement for a vehicle sitting in a rather large loophole. I still say it takes just enough additional effort to get an MC license to weed out a majority without the skills and/or required attention span to avoid getting into accidents in the first place. It's the general population of drivers that will kill this thing off.
I am in total agreement .....

·
Registered
2,225 Posts

I'll have to say I am in agreement as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
I was so excited to read this "I blew coke out of my nose"!!!! Hahaha!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Illinois enacted law 1/1/2015 making the SS an Autocycle designation. The new registration will have its own autocycle plate ($30 increase over motorcycle) and will allow any one to ride it with only a class D car license.

The official Bill is: SB 3130

The public act reading is here:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=098-0777
Can't wait for this to play out ,I just got my Motorcycle plate for it and it's good for a year . My luck I'm going to get some mail from the state saying I owe 30 bucks

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Virginia also designated the SS an Autocycle back in February I think.

They have a special 3 wheel motorcycle license (M3) and a special driving test for it. There is specific language sprinkled throughout the vehicle code but the most obvious is that Autocycles drivers and passengers must have a helmet unless the cabin is enclosed and you must wear a seatbelt if the manufacturer provided one. Registration cost is the same.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Glad to see that I am not the only one that thinks this way. To be clear, I am not trying to be a total downer here. The general population has completely accepted the fact, and a majority absolutely believes, that motorcycles are dangerous killing machines. This is perfectly fine by me as I am one that believes they are not for everyone nor should they ever be marketed in that way.

As such, beyond the states that mandate helmet use it is completely accepted that those of us who choose to ride accept the consequences of our actions. Meaning if you lose control of the machine, fly head first over the handlebars and kiss a tree its your problem. Nobody asks the question: "why wasn't there some XYZ equipment added to that machine to make it safer?"

You can bet if the SS is classified as anything other than an MC and allowed to be driven with a generic drivers license by anyone it will quickly be called to the attention of politicians when idiots with short attention spans and poor driving abilities park it under an 18 wheeler.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts