Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new member, no slingshot yet. But if you could start over, what would you differently? I would also like to get your opinions on my expected setup, and suggestions.

First off I am not a big music guy, I drive all day for work and rarely have radio on therefore I do not need the Media console, but I want the upgraded or aftermarket wheels. I live in Ohio and the road are horrible from the bad winter we had. rough roads everywhere, so I am scared how the a/m wheels would hold up.

So I am thinking SS, try to find the upgraded wheels online or maybe someone here has upgraded and have new take offs for sale?? If not considering these ones from roaringtoyz, but they are $1600!!!:

Also would likely go with with full exhaust from slingshotmod.com, $650.00:

I am not worried about getting a "good" deal on an SS, I figured I can get one with minimal fees and hopefully get them to throw in the blade windshield, dealership in WV will sell with no set up, prep, or freight.

Oh yea, also like this idea for gps and rear view camera- probably a thread with some set up/wiring assistance:
Garmin Nuvi 2798LMT w/back up camera

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Brand new member, no slingshot yet. But if you could start over, what would you differently? I would also like to get your opinions on my expected setup, and suggestions.

First off I am not a big music guy, I drive all day for work and rarely have radio on therefore I do not need the Media console, but I want the upgraded or aftermarket wheels. I live in Ohio and the road are horrible from the bad winter we had. rough roads everywhere, so I am scared how the a/m wheels would hold up.

So I am thinking SS, try to find the upgraded wheels online or maybe someone here has upgraded and have new take offs for sale?? If not considering these ones from roaringtoyz, but they are $1600!!!:

Also would likely go with with full exhaust from slingshotmod.com, $650.00:

I am not worried about getting a "good" deal on an SS, I figured I can get one with minimal fees and hopefully get them to throw in the blade windshield, dealership in WV will sell with no set up, prep, or freight.

Oh yea, also like this idea for gps and rear view camera- probably a thread with some set up/wiring assistance:
Garmin Nuvi 2798LMT w/back up camera

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
I looked hard at the exhaust and have had good luck with purchases from slingshotmod (except for pedal covers), BUT I watched their video on installation and decided it was way to much work for the exhaust, Looks like you have to take the SS almost completly apart.. Things I would not buy again. Pedal covers & Horns, Baker wings (only because the will not fit with the Twisted roof.) F4 +3 windshield, Must Haves are Twisted Roof, Blade shield, Hood struts, Heavy duty Hood latches from full blown, Sirrius or XM radio, Alpha CAI set up, Veskimo cooling system. Just my .02 worth. To each his own.

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,685 Posts
I looked hard at the exhaust and have had good luck with purchases from slingshotmod (except for pedal covers), BUT I watched their video on installation and decided it was way to much work for the exhaust, Looks like you have to take the SS almost completly apart.. Things I would not buy again. Pedal covers & Horns, Baker wings (only because the will not fit with the Twisted roof.) F4 +3 windshield, Must Haves are Twisted Roof, Blade shield, Hood struts, Heavy duty Hood latches from full blown, Sirrius or XM radio, Alpha CAI set up, Veskimo cooling system. Just my .02 worth. To each his own.
What's wrong with the f4+3 in your opinion? I just returned MS double because I live in Michigan and it lets a lot of air in the cockpit. I requested the f4 +3 as a replacement. What is your suggestion?

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,685 Posts
@DAG1109 I would buy base put an aftermarket shield on it, I'm presently trying to find best northern option. The MS double will definently keep hot weather guys comfy.

I have the JRI non adjustable shocks, great improvement on Michigan mine field roads. There is a less exspensive (QAI and others) that seem just as good, they weren't out when I pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
403 Posts
What's wrong with the f4+3 in your opinion? I just returned MS double because I live in Michigan and it lets a lot of air in the cockpit. I requested the f4 +3 as a replacement. What is your suggestion?
It was just too tall for me. I like to look over, not thru.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@DAG1109 I would buy base put an aftermarket shield on it, I'm presently trying to find best northern option. The MS double will definently keep hot weather guys comfy.

I have the JRI non adjustable shocks, great improvement on Michigan mine field roads. There is a less exspensive (QAI and others) that seem just as good, they weren't out when I pulled the trigger.
Wow the JRI's are expensive- what are the other options?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the Alpha CAI set up? Is that Alpha Powersport's suspension system for $1900!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Garmin automotive GPS's are nice, but keep in mind the bluetooth will not work with helmet headsets. Only their motorcycle GPS's (Zumo) can do that. I'm not sure what the difference in technology is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guess I have to add the CAI also $450:

This is getting expensive and I don't even have one yet!
Any group buys going on with Slingshotmod.com- full exhaust and/or CAI ?

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
Since Slingshots and which modifications one prefers are so personal, it's hard to suggest what someone else should spend their money on. We bought one, drove it, and then decided what we'd like to change. Realize this is more of a "kit car" and you'll spend some money on different parts just to make things work properly. Even with aftermarket parts, expect things may not fit exactly and some modification will probably be necessary, which may require new tools or time in a dealer's shop.

You'll want a set of hex bits and Torx(tm) bits, plus a metric socket set and extension if you want to adjust or tighten much of anything. We've previously posted about some of the things we've had to adjust/tighten/secure/modify, and we've kept the SL pretty much a stock vehicle so far.

We'll probably add fog & HID head lights, internal garage remote, seat heaters, internal lighting, and maybe a tuned straight exhaust or turbo, ground lighting effects, and a different steering wheel (stock is great, other than bland looks), after fixing the hood latch issue and hood bumpers.

A transmission housing cover is a must, the swing-arm cover is recommended.

The base Slingshot can be ordered with SL wheels and/or all other factory options, but the color can't be changed--for that you have to order the SL (red), SL Limited (burnt orange), wrap it, or paint it.

Some dealers offer extended warranties for a reasonable amount, including performing all factory recommended service. If any item that isn't a "normal-wear" item wears out (not clutch plates, tires, bulbs), or the factory tires/rims are road damaged (one forum member hit a brick), the warranty may cover repair/replacement. You may find a 5-year warranty that covers everything (within reason) + road damage + normal service with $0 deductible (read the coverage first).

If you search this forum for "Kenwood" you'll find some stereo installations that are far better than stock and link to GPS and backup camera (probably phone too).

2015's may be hard to find, 2016's are on the way in September/October/November or so, there's a thread on distribution.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Going to pick up my ss today, got the upgraded wheels and blade windshield. Test drove yesterday and the belt/gear noise was pretty bad as somewhat expected. Like most dealers and polaris says is "normal" and will get better after break in 500-1000 miles.

*I will have the stock ss oem wheels and tires available for sale that has 4 miles on them, if anyone is interested. I did find a small scuff on 2 of the 3 wheels, dealer will put in warranty claim if I want, but would rather just sell them as is. As the paint and plastic on the driver side middle/rear panel is terrible- they are filing a warranty claim on that for me.

By the way, no freight, setup, or dealer add on fee's, but only gave me 10% off of wheels and shield.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts