Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be prepared to wait a long time. My first order, October 14th, that I paid in advance, was delayed for two months while he waited for his welding shop to move to a new building. After many calls and emails, he refunded my money. Most of us don't have $1,500.00 to just give to someone and hope for the best. Since then, I had been calling and emailing for an update. All I got were excuses. Well, on February 5th, it finally arrived. Just short of FOUR months from the original order date! Pretty easy to assemble, which is good cause there ain't no instructions. Yesterday the weather was finally good enough that I could test it out and load the SSGT. WARNING!!, if you have an SS with the factory Polaris rear fender, you will have to modify the tire cradle. The top end of the cradle, that the mounting brackets for tire strap ratchets are welded to, stick up about three inches above the back of the bottom of the fender. It would have destroyed the fender. I had to remove the rear fender just to get the SS back off of it. It had already started rolling down into the cradle and was at the point of no return. If I would have tried to unload it, the tire would have spun and dropped in. I know that to be true because it spun a clean dry tire when I unloaded it the next time. I now have to take it to a fab shop the get the cradle cut down and the ratchet strap mounts welded back on. I can only hope that my experiences with the tow dolly get better from here. The wife and I plan on doing some long distance tows for some great vacation time out west.
Sorry for the long story, but, just trying to provide the truth. This is the first thing that I purchased from them.....And the last. Such a shame.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. My experiences have been just the opposite. I ordered the tow dolly abut 2 years ago and a couple weeks later we made the drive up to Canada to pick it up a mini vacation. I also ordered a NASCAR style Tallboy +2 windshield and received it within a couple weeks. I guess anyones elling a wide variety of Slingshot accessories not made in-house sometimes means waiting for suppliers before they can be delivered.

·
Registered
289 Posts
1st off. I only know Kevin Adams (All Things Slingshot) to be a great guy.
I suspect that he ran into some business bumps at the end of this past year. Hope he is back on track. I do plan on buying from him again in the future.

[My history]

1st) The very, very good:
I ordered my DDM SC kit from him last Summer (2019) and was very, very impressed with his price, discounts, communication and follow up after the sale. Very quick shipping. Gave him glowing reviews here (then)...
2 BIG thumbs up. ??!!

2nd) The not so good:
So, when I was in the market for a roof.... I did not hesitate to order from him again. Did so in the beginging of Dec '19. I paid in full for his Ttop EZ in/out roof kit. Upon ordering, he said it would take 2 weeks to ship. Long story short. Dealt with alot of delays
and a lack of communication.
I made many attempts to get ahold of him about my order. No response to my attempts.
7 weeks later (from paying him). Ultimately, I was awarded a refund because I disputed my Paypal transaction. After my refund, Kevin did respond and apologize about it all and said he was dealing with a new welder and shop, etc.. etc....
Nothing is ever perfect. Sh!t happens. Kevin did explain things to me and was genuinely apologetic.

I can't hate on Kevin, I know that not all things always workout.

Webby

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,836 Posts
Sounds like someone hasn't ever owned a vehicle that was a small volume, specialty vehicle before. In all the years I have owned vehicles, the smaller the volume sold, the longer you have to wait on parts to be made, shipped, and developed. Just like most people don't have $1500 laying around, most small businesses don't have money to sit on large inventory and don't really get a break on shipping. With that being said...almost every slingshot part made is "made to order" there is no bench stock sitting around. It's why a lot of the shipping states 6-8 weeks on larger items.

Have I bought from Allthingsslingshot.com in the past? Yes. And I will continue to do so if there is something that comes up that I really like. Kevin is a stand up guy and has always taken care of all his customers. It's the reason other small vendors go to him and make deals to have their items sold through his site. If you look at what he has to offer vs the competition, you'll see more unique items. Those just take longer to manufacture and deliver.

Lesson learned? It's not a Chevy, Ford, or Honda...you will have to wait for items. Kevin will never rip you off. Life happens, not just to you...but to people that run businesses too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get your statement about small vendor and small volume. What I don't get is how someone who is in business to make money can not give timely feedback on a product they sell. This was an item that had a two week lead time and it took almost four months. No backup plan or welding shop, no keeping me in the loop, and then when I get it, my GT will not even fit on it! I sent him an email about the back of the cradle being too high for the "factory" fender. He replied back that he had never stated it would fit a GT. So it was up to me to buy and figure out if it would fit? Now I have to take this to another fab shop to get it corrected. They are not going to do that for nothing. Last time I checked, I purchased a stock SSGT. He sells a tow dolly for the SS. We all know what each 2019 model comes with. Wouldn't it be better business practice to know if you sell something for a Slingshot that it fits all of them or state which ones it does fit? Bad business. Again, will not buy anything else from him.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,836 Posts
I agree with you on the communication aspect...I will caveat that with, not having the budget to have 1 of each kind of Slingshot through the years or even some of the added options that Polaris likes to through on, makes it difficult to know what fits with what. Subtle frame changes made from the 2016-2017 model for example had products needing to be redesigned. Did Polaris mention anything about changes? Nope. There are about 9 different Fenders available between Polaris and 3rd party vendors...with out seeing them...or working with them...fit is going to vary based on best guess. It's why a lot of vendors have gone with the "some modifications may be needed" tag line in their products. You as a consumer have every right to not purchase anything from them again. But, the reviews of Kevin and his site will far outweight your experience because your experience is not the norm. Trying to say you are setting the expectations for other customers is kind of comical because your experience doesn't mirror the many others that have been satisfied. I would say that offering a solution that might be constructive and assist small vendors approve over the years would have better impact than "warning" people because your experience didn't go as smooth as it could have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Mine is that I was treated wrong on the very first item I purchased. If this is not the forum to bring that to light, then delete me and my posts.

·
Registered
289 Posts
GA Slinger,
I dont think that was what Br4hm4 was implying/saying. Lots of different opinions on all these forums. Yours is just as welcomed as any (in my book).
I do not blame you for your fellings on it.
I'd predict that most on this board knows of Kev to be a really good dude (including me) and those that have purchased with him in the past have had great service.
Doesnt excuse poor service or a lack of communication to a customer.

Webby

·
Registered
100 Posts
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Mine is that I was treated wrong on the very first item I purchased. If this is not the forum to bring that to light, then delete me and my posts.
I bought one from them and my purchase was more of a nightmare than yours. After providing them with detailed specs of my SS, they shipped the kit about a month later. The frame arrived on a pallet that was too small and uncovered. The wheel hub covers were both crushed. Meanwhile, the shipper used UPS to deliver it from their terminal to my home and since it exceeded the UPS weight limit, they placed "over weight stickers" all over the metal parts of the frame. When removing these, it removed all of the "brushed on" paint that they used. So guess what, after spending a couple of hours removing stickers, I then go to repaint the entire frame. Next, the fenders, loading ramp and bolt kit were shipped about a week later. Once they arrived, I discovered that there were No instructions, No packing list and after laying everything out, there were bolts and nuts missing, and extra bolts and nuts that didn't go with the kit. But wait, there is more !. The tire cradle didn't fit the tire and the diamond plate in the center of it was razor sharp on the ends. Plus the fender mounting brackets looked like "sh!#". So after emailing and complaining, I ended up shipping the tire cradle and fenders back to them. Another month goes by and the new cradle arrives along with the fenders and more bolts. This time the cradle is correct but the fender brackets where welded on with incorrect angles and could not be installed where they were straight. At this point, I'm mad as hell and decided to fix them myself. I cut off the brackets and welded them back on where the fenders were straight and repainted them. So, I lost all faith and would NEVER recommend or purchase from them again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I get your statement about small vendor and small volume. What I don't get is how someone who is in business to make money can not give timely feedback on a product they sell. This was an item that had a two week lead time and it took almost four months. No backup plan or welding shop, no keeping me in the loop, and then when I get it, my GT will not even fit on it! I sent him an email about the back of the cradle being too high for the "factory" fender. He replied back that he had never stated it would fit a GT. So it was up to me to buy and figure out if it would fit? Now I have to take this to another fab shop to get it corrected. They are not going to do that for nothing. Last time I checked, I purchased a stock SSGT. He sells a tow dolly for the SS. We all know what each 2019 model comes with. Wouldn't it be better business practice to know if you sell something for a Slingshot that it fits all of them or state which ones it does fit? Bad business. Again, will not buy anything else from him.
I have a tow dolly for sale, [email protected]

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
reading @Ron Manfredi's post above, I remembered that I didn't receive any assembly instructions either. Naturally, my first attempt at assembly wasn't correct and I had to take everything apart and start over. I also replaced some of the bolts simply because I felt slightly longer bolts would make assembly a little easier. It's been almost 2 years and I'm finally getting around to planning some trips where I'll be using the dolly. Still happy with my overall purchase, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts