Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Would You consider leasing a Slingshot as opposed to buying?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Vendor
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hypothetically speaking, If you were offered the option to lease a Slingshot for 24 or 36 months rather than buying would you be interested?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Nope! Maybe lease for one day or a weekend(for people just want to have fun for a week-end).

But like for car i think lease is not a good thing to do...IMOH!

We can lease T-Rex here for day/week-end/week... but not 36 months!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I definitely would consider a lease depending on the numbers. I tend to hop around with my toys and like to have the latest and greatest so a leasing option would be ideal for someone like me. If you are going to do that Chris definitely let me know.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've never leased before, but might consider it. The price would have to be pretty good.

Not sure I'd buy one that was a leased vehicle either. Kinds feels like buying a rental car. You know the previous drivers didn't take care of them. Not sure lessors would do any better. Lease it, run the hell out it for two years, and turn it back in. Maybe I'm wrong...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Having an option to rent for weekends or week long periods would be nice but leasing would not work for me. Most all my toys see very low miles. You are paying for the depreciation over a set period of time and a set number of miles. If you don't use the miles over this time period it is a bad deal. If you go over the mileage you also pay a price, if you want out before the lease ends be prepared to get the shaft.

Maybe for those in warm climes that can ride it all year round but a 24-36 month lease for something that will be up on blocks for at least half of those months in my area? Would not be smart in my opinion.

·
Vendor
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the opinions guys... was just curious as some programs out there exist for motorcycles like they do for cars. Harley just rolled out a lease program and I heard it was very successful.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thanks for the opinions guys... was just curious as some programs out there exist for motorcycles like they do for cars. Harley just rolled out a lease program and I heard it was very successful.
Perhaps because Harley has several models that gives customers the possibility to change the model every 2 years / 3 years to try a new model and lose less money!

For SS I do not think right now it would be interesting!IMOH!

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Leasing isn't for me for the SS but I wouldn't count out the feature for other folls. This could spawn a new 3 wheeled business for Polaris with enclosed models and such so leasing may be a good option for those who like to trade and get something different/better/newer at the dealership.

Harley has LOTS of models and leasing makes really good sense there. I am surprised it wasn't always an option.

·
Vendor
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Leasing isn't for me for the SS but I wouldn't count out the feature for other folls. This could spawn a new 3 wheeled business for Polaris with enclosed models and such so leasing may be a good option for those who like to trade and get something different/better/newer at the dealership.

Harley has LOTS of models and leasing makes really good sense there. I am surprised it wasn't always an option.
I have personally never leased anything in my life but many of my friends and family lease all of their vehicles... They like always driving something new and under warranty without the hassle of trading in or privately selling.

A rough guess on the math would be something like 1k down and 200/month for 24 months with an option to buy at the end based on a 20k unit... buying the same thing puts you at about 350/month for 5 years with the current Polaris financing offers.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
I have personally never leased anything in my life but many of my friends and family lease all of their vehicles... They like always driving something new and under warranty without the hassle of trading in or privately selling.

A rough guess on the math would be something like 1k down and 200/month for 24 months with an option to buy at the end based on a 20k unit... buying the same thing puts you at about 350/month for 5 years with the current Polaris financing offers.
Good post. It may give some folks a better comparison and might sway them.

·
Vendor
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good post. It may give some folks a better comparison and might sway them.
Yeah much easier to wrap around the idea when you see numbers... just keep in my these are by no means perfectly accurate, just a ball park.

Also you would be able to customize and roll the accessories into it just a like options on a car.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I buying the same thing puts you at about 350/month for 5 years with the current Polaris financing offers.
350/month for 5 years:eek:...damn...Canada sound like 525/month...:(

I know T-Rex can be go up to 15 years for a bank financing...what is the maximum you can go for the SS SL?

·
Vendor
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
350/month for 5 years:eek:...damn...Canada sound like 525/month...:(

I know T-Rex can be go up to 15 years for a bank financing...what is the maximum you can go for the SS SL?
With the Polaris offered plans, 72 months...

upload_2014-8-31_17-25-39.png

·
Vendor
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Out of curiosity what are the credit score targets for each tier?
What is TIER 1-2-3?!
The finance companies use a Tier system to rank applications... sometimes if credit score or income/debt is good enough to be approved by not great the basically come back with a worse offer.

Most people that get approved are tier 1 but not always.

They do not give any credit score levels to cross with the tiers... its kind of all over the board and based on a number of different factors. Case by case basis.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've never leased before either and currently don't intend to now BUT I could be swayed IF the numbers were right AND I knew for sure what plans Polaris had for future improvements for the Slingshot. I could see leasing for a couple years and then upgrading for a better equipped model or touring version.
Good idea to have these options whether one uses them or not.
Larry

1 - 20 of 30 Posts