Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious as to who else has sold their slingshot and don't miss it one bit?
But also what made you sell it?

For Me,
1st - Recalls, Recalls, Recalls! A-K-A Inconvenience, Inconvenience, Inconvenience! A-K-A Pissed Off, Pissed Off, Pissed Off!

2nd - Build Quality!

3rd - Drew way too much attention for my liking! (Knew it going into it, But did not think it would be as bad as it was) For the one's who love attention, Have At It! "Insecurities" (Cough, Cough)!!! (Probably don't help that people very often tell me that I look like LLCool J) LOL!!! No, But Seriously THEY DO!

4th - Just not a practical vehicle (The Weather-Man ain't never right). It seemed like the weather had to be just right to really enjoy your ride, I would say between 70-80. Below 70, You're getting the SNIFFLES. Above 80, with the engine heat, You're Burning Up!

5th - I just didn't feel safe in it! Always had a fear of a deer ending up in my lap! (I live in a heavily populated deer area).

6th - Also, I have talked to many Polaris Slingshot Sales and Service reps, and not one of them owns one. Some have told me flat out that they would NEVER buy one. (I didn't bother to ask them why)

But............. It was somewhat fun to drive for the most part! but for me the Cons definitely outweighed the Pros. I'm glad I got rid of it when I could, because the colder it gets here in Michigan the harder it would've been to sell.

-A Very Happy "Previous" SLINGSHOT Owner!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Was it really the SlingShot that was at fault here? Obviously you did not put in much research, or thought for that matter, before you purchased your SlingShot and because of this you made a poor choice in not purchasing the automobile, in which you were obviously seeking, rather than appreciating the unique motorcycle alternative as the SlingShot was conceived.

Nope, the SlingShot was not the one at fault here, hopefully you find the car that you are seeking and that the SlingShot went to an owner who will appreciate and enjoy it as the motorcycle alternative that it really is!

Bill

·
Registered
86 Posts
Why are you still on this site? I believe 99% of the people here are happy with there slingshot.
If you thought the weather was always Going to be just right for a perfect ride I'm not sure where
you were planning on living. Here in Oklahoma it can be Hot -Cold- Rain all in the same day and I still have a great time in my Slingshot.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
To be honest #1 is the only one that's not on you. Yes recalls take your time to get them done but not much. The rest is just feelings and opinions. You would run into the same problems if you road a nice bagger.
Three and a half years and no major problems for me. Yes people I don't know take pictures and talk to me if I don't want to talk I end the conversation and continue on my way. As for weather it's just like any other motorcycle.
Enjoy whatever toy you get next.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Donald definitely makes some valid points, and sometimes it's difficult to what extent one might enjoy a vehicle, any vehicle 2,3, or 4 wheels, until it's actually used for a period of time. We all have some doubts when making a purchase, especially for something new on the market.The SS is definitely a niche market. Good luck Don! (And be careful of those deer, no matter the vehicle!).

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Wow, A few negative responses. On the internet no less. ;) Except for #1, I didn't get the impression @Donald B was putting down the SS. And really, #1 is not the SS's fault, it falls on the dealer and Polaris. Recalls aren't so bad if they are taking care of in a timely manner. Many owners have had their bikes held hostage for extended periods during the prime riding months due to Polaris' inability to supply parts and knowledge within their dealer network. It's called "customer service". If they fail to provide a good customer experience, of course they will have an unhappy customer.

The rest of his points are his own personal opinion, experience, and lifestyle. He tried it, it wasn't for him, he sold it. Sometimes you make a mistake. How many of us bought a boat, used the hell out of it the first summer, barely took it out the next summer, then stored it for a year before finally selling it? I know I did.

Glad you had the chance to play with a Slingshot Donald. You posted an interesting question. My guess is that most who have sold there's aren't on the forum anymore. Though I seem to recall at least one member who sold their SS early on and then bought another one a couple years later.

BTW, "Momma Said Knock You Out" is a great song to crank up when you're flying down the freeway. ;)

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Think about all the fun that you will be missing out on, by being a Cheap Skate! Trust us all, if you would stop being petty over a couple of grand and just buy one. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT! If you wait too long, you will never experience the thrill of being one of the first owners of this awesome machine.

What I love About My Slingshot (Poll)
That I Sold It!
Bill

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was it really the SlingShot that was at fault here? Obviously you did not put in much research, or thought for that matter, before you purchased your SlingShot and because of this you made a poor choice in not purchasing the automobile, in which you were obviously seeking, rather than appreciating the unique motorcycle alternative as the SlingShot was conceived.

Nope, the SlingShot was not the one at fault here, hopefully you find the car that you are seeking and that the SlingShot went to an owner who will appreciate and enjoy it as the motorcycle alternative that it really is!

Bill
I will admit that it was a sporadic purchase, (Lesson Learned). Enjoy your Top Quality vehicle!!!;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, A few negative responses. On the internet no less. ;) Except for #1, I didn't get the impression @Donald B was putting down the SS. And really, #1 is not the SS's fault, it falls on the dealer and Polaris. Recalls aren't so bad if they are taking care of in a timely manner. Many owners have had their bikes held hostage for extended periods during the prime riding months due to Polaris' inability to supply parts and knowledge within their dealer network. It's called "customer service". If they fail to provide a good customer experience, of course they will have an unhappy customer.

The rest of his points are his own personal opinion, experience, and lifestyle. He tried it, it wasn't for him, he sold it. Sometimes you make a mistake. How many of us bought a boat, used the hell out of it the first summer, barely took it out the next summer, then stored it for a year before finally selling it? I know I did.

Glad you had the chance to play with a Slingshot Donald. You posted an interesting question. My guess is that most who have sold there's aren't on the forum anymore. Though I seem to recall at least one member who sold their SS early on and then bought another one a couple years later.

BTW, "Momma Said Knock You Out" is a great song to crank up when you're flying down the freeway. ;)
Thank You, For making my point a little more clear.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I told myself a while back that if I received one more recall, that I was going to get rid of it. It took me getting two more recalls to get rid of it.:)
I Don't Know, It's kind of like a "Been There, Done That" type of thing for me. But, for anyone who doesn't seem to agree/ willing to admit to my opinions about this post, Tell me that if you had as many issues with your car or truck that you would keep it? I DID'NT THINK SO!
Man, How I wish HONDA, TOYOTA, FORD, GM or somebody would come out with something similar (I PROMISE The "QUALITY" Would be on a whole other level).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Bill
Oh Bill, Just admit that you made a bad purchase also.
Out of curiosity, Have you been 100% satisfied with your slingshot? Before you answer that, (let me get my boots on).

·
Registered
566 Posts
Donald you are entitled to say why you did not like Slingshot and continue .
I bought slingshot 2015 and hated the way they look and the cheap way of construction
and the stupid mud flap that catches air and raises the hood and they still continue building them this way.
But more people seem to like the way it is designed and rattle and the hood raises from air dam mud flap..
But 3 months after my purchase I cut mine apart and was first one with fenders over tires and removing mud flaps.
And now into a 4th body change design to get rid of lower spoiler and make it look non SS completely.
But driving the SS with turbo since the day I purchased new sure makes it one beautiful package for handling and
and power to weight acceleration that few other vehicles can share at this cost.
So we all have to make decisions on SS and you sold yours and I am still working on mine and most
are just happy putting lights and speakers on them which I do not understand why they do that but thats the way it is with SS

·
Registered
104 Posts
You bought a slingshot as a "practical" vehicle?

You lost just for that assertion.....Mines gets pulled out on the WEEKENDS and maybe a weekday when I want to SHOW OFF and joyride

Who buys a 3 wheel vehicle with no roof and no doors...but does not want the attention??

next time buy a used Camaro, since you want to be practical

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess what really gets me, is that I've had a sour taste for the SLINGSHOT, For POLARIS, and for FULL THROTTLE Motor Sports (Dimondale, Michigan) From week number 1. I was frustrated because shortly after buying the slingshot, A gentlemen realized that my rear axle nut was missing. Contacted the dealership, they did NOTHING, (They did order one, it took 5 weeks to get it) (If I worked at a dealer and a customer had that experience, I would've taken the nut off another one and set that one in the back). I called POLARIS - They did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, But kept me on hold forever. And then comes a hail storm of recalls. She was fun to drive for the most part, But dealing with Polaris and Full Throttle was a nightmare. I will only go in there to look around and waste their time, and make my purchase elsewhere.
Customer Service is not what it used to be!

Continue, To Ride Safe!!!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts