Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after all of the waiting, the delays, and then knowing my Slingshot was in but I was out of town I brought it home today. It was cold, 14F when I left the dealership and it was a little under 35 miles to the house.

The Walk around
After hearing all of the issues with fit/finish reported by others I looked it over very carefully. There were a few minor imperfections on the edges, but nothing major. I did have one little piece of extra plastic around the hazard light switch that I had to remove. Otherwise overall a 9/10.

Because one of the others mentioned it I did notice a slight tilt on the passenger seat in relation to the roll bar, but you HAVE to look at it.

The Dealership
After all of the bad with the other dealers. I cannot say anything but good things about the guys I worked with at VanWall in Indianola Iowa. They didn't give me any break on price or freight, but they were honest along the way and never overpromised. They even made sure that no-one drove it around so when I took off to the gas station with them to fill it up it had 0.0 miles on the odometer!

The Crowds/Attention
I'll cover this before the driving part because it started before I even got there. A local news reporter and even the local Polaris rep heard that I was coming to pick up the SS today. Apparently there is going to be a news story about it tomorrow in the local paper and lots of lookers at the dealership.

On the 35 mile drive home I lost count at the number of pictures people took. Three cars slowed down just so they could get video of me driving by. A state trooper even gave me a thumbs up as he passed!

The Vehicle
20141201_195751894_iOS.jpg

I'll start out by saying that of all of the vehicles I've driven this is by far the most fun period. I've driven Supercharged sports cars, Porches, and everything in between. The smile on my face never went away after the first 15 feet that I drove the Slingshot.

I did notice the extra brake pedal pressure needed, but its just different not anything wrong. My other car is a Mustang GT with the performance pack, it wouldn't be fair to compare brakes!

It was cold as hell out there, but the wind wasn't bad and I'm not a popsicle at the moment so that is good. I don't know if I would take it out again at <15F but I still had a blast coming home. Power is awesome. But holy cow can it break that rear tire free. When it does though it is VERY stable and controllable. The sound of the engine is awesome as well.

All in all, damn am I happy. Now, lets have it warm up around here!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Congrats Mitch! That sounds like a brutal ride, I'd assume windchill was below zero. I'd sure like to be given the opportunity to drive it in the cold. Hint, Hint Polaris. There's this little state on the East coast called New Jersey. We'd like ours too, no bad weather or holiday to blame a delay on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well I took delivery of my SS today in 21 degrees cold Michigan weather. Dealer delivered mine in a trailer as of the 4 bike trailers I have….none would accommodate the SS. Clock wasn't set, mirrors not adjusted, and not really polished, nor did I get the dealer check sheet. Took for a chilly ride, and I felt it to be a bit crude…..not the thrill I was hoping for. My Can Am Spyder is a totally refined 3 wheel motorcycle. I felt the backup camera to be worthless outside and almost too small to be of any value when backing it in the garage door here at work. I will now have to wait 4-5 months for an honest opinion of the Slingshot, but the ridiculous insurance rates quoted, and the denial by AAA, State farm and others will hurt the sales of these. I am happy to have one for now and paid MSRP without frt. and setup and sure hope prices stay where they are or I will regret buying it now vs. in April or May.

Reactions: James McKinney

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I will regret buying it now vs. in April or May.
No offense but you're out of your mind!!
The first list of complaints would be directed at your dealer not Polaris or the Slingshot.
I test drove a Spyder and couldn't stand it, the Slingshot is far superior.
I have back up cameras in all of my vehicles, my F350 and Cadillac have very larger screens and I had no problem using the camera on my Slingshot to back out of my trailer and back into my shop. It's a great reference for seeing anything directly behind you and Polaris did a good job with it.
As far as insurance you should check out the forum I had no problem finding full coverage at $440 per year through Nationwide.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I posted my HONEST first opinion….. I own many different manufacturers vehicles and have owned 1000's through the years. I always have a first impression, and in the short ride when delivered today, it didn't meet the high hopes I had. Hopefully in Spring, my opinion will change. While a totally different vehicle than the Spyder, the Spyder has had some years to get refined. I had a first year Victory motorcycle which I felt very crude and my 2014 Victory Cross Country is a much better, more refined motorcycle than that of it's first year bike. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I posted my HONEST first opinion….. I own many different manufacturers vehicles and have owned 1000's through the years. I always have a first impression, and in the short ride when delivered today, it didn't meet the high hopes I had. Hopefully in Spring, my opinion will change. While a totally different vehicle than the Spyder, the Spyder has had some years to get refined. I had a first year Victory motorcycle which I felt very crude and my 2014 Victory Cross Country is a much better, more refined motorcycle than that of it's first year bike. Only time will tell.
You shoulda bought an Indian. More refined than the Victory, and faster too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You shoulda bought an Indian. More refined than the Victory, and faster too.
Look in the picture. I have a blue vintage with 900 miles on it, and yes more refined and more $$ than a cross country. My indian Scout due in this month hence the name Polaris Rocks.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Well after all of the waiting, the delays, and then knowing my Slingshot was in but I was out of town I brought it home today. It was cold, 14F when I left the dealership and it was a little under 35 miles to the house.

The Walk around
After hearing all of the issues with fit/finish reported by others I looked it over very carefully. There were a few minor imperfections on the edges, but nothing major. I did have one little piece of extra plastic around the hazard light switch that I had to remove. Otherwise overall a 9/10.

Because one of the others mentioned it I did notice a slight tilt on the passenger seat in relation to the roll bar, but you HAVE to look at it.

The Dealership
After all of the bad with the other dealers. I cannot say anything but good things about the guys I worked with at VanWall in Indianola Iowa. They didn't give me any break on price or freight, but they were honest along the way and never overpromised. They even made sure that no-one drove it around so when I took off to the gas station with them to fill it up it had 0.0 miles on the odometer!

The Crowds/Attention
I'll cover this before the driving part because it started before I even got there. A local news reporter and even the local Polaris rep heard that I was coming to pick up the SS today. Apparently there is going to be a news story about it tomorrow in the local paper and lots of lookers at the dealership.

On the 35 mile drive home I lost count at the number of pictures people took. Three cars slowed down just so they could get video of me driving by. A state trooper even gave me a thumbs up as he passed!

The Vehicle View attachment 2911
I'll start out by saying that of all of the vehicles I've driven this is by far the most fun period. I've driven Supercharged sports cars, Porches, and everything in between. The smile on my face never went away after the first 15 feet that I drove the Slingshot.

I did notice the extra brake pedal pressure needed, but its just different not anything wrong. My other car is a Mustang GT with the performance pack, it wouldn't be fair to compare brakes!

It was cold as hell out there, but the wind wasn't bad and I'm not a popsicle at the moment so that is good. I don't know if I would take it out again at <15F but I still had a blast coming home. Power is awesome. But holy cow can it break that rear tire free. When it does though it is VERY stable and controllable. The sound of the engine is awesome as well.

All in all, damn am I happy. Now, lets have it warm up around here!
That's awesome-

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. One of the things I didn't mention in my first impression post was about the amount of engine heat that ends up in the driver side leg space. Here in Southern Ca, that's not a good thing, but there in Iowa, a jacket and engine heat could provide just enough warmth for cold weather rides.

·
Registered
503 Posts
No offense but you're out of your mind!!
The first list of complaints would be directed at your dealer not Polaris or the Slingshot.
I test drove a Spyder and couldn't stand it, the Slingshot is far superior.
I have back up cameras in all of my vehicles, my F350 and Cadillac have very larger screens and I had no problem using the camera on my Slingshot to back out of my trailer and back into my shop. It's a great reference for seeing anything directly behind you and Polaris did a good job with it.
As far as insurance you should check out the forum I had no problem finding full coverage at $440 per year through Nationwide.
Just for you folks in Oklahoma Nationwide will NOT write a mc policy in Oklahoma.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts