Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Thats a bummer deal.

I can see why Polaris wouldnt want this dealer to notify everyone that they have demos. That would cause a huge stir with a bunch of people wanting to see them, sit in them and drive them. It is really hard to keep them looking good with so much interaction of people.

Even if you only let the depositors know, think about how fast news travels on that thing called social media and the internet.

My guess is that they just recently recieved approval to post pics online because the production models are coming very soon.

My money is on these things hitting the showrooms next week! Finger crossed...
That was definately not the case with these two mules. They looked to be ridden hard, put away wet and then ridden hard again. it rained pretty heavily the night and morning before I got there and both were wet and had a bunch of leaves in them. I can't imagine this but I thought at the time that they left them out side overnight. There was also a broken, black plastic trim piece from somewhere in the cup holder and the windshield on the SL was all gnarly and scratched at the bottom near the "dash". They both just looked generally used. I also forgot to mention yesterday, the lever that activates the tilt steering was broken as well. The lever would move up and down but the steering wheel wouldn't move

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
That was definately not the case with these two mules. They looked to be ridden hard, put away wet and then ridden hard again. it rained pretty heavily the night and morning before I got there and both were wet and had a bunch of leaves in them. I can't imagine this but I thought at the time that they left them out side overnight. There was also a broken, black plastic trim piece from somewhere in the cup holder and the windshield on the SL was all gnarly and scratched at the bottom near the "dash". They both just looked generally used. I also forgot to mention yesterday, the lever that activates the tilt steering was broken as well. The lever would move up and down but the steering wheel wouldn't move
Did you ask if the parts that were broken on the machine was the lack of quality, or is it because it's a demo and too many people played around with it?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Nah, I didn't ask. Had too much other crap swirling around in my head. Also wouldn't expect a straight answer that I could trust as truth

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am not sweating the final production version quality issues. Polaris is quite able of putting it out there 'right' the first go around. It is just that the waiting and expectations are so high forum members are fussing needlessly. Patience is a virtue.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I would reserve any judgements on quality until the production units are shipped. Guessing they were used and abused by hundreds of people and most likely have more use on them then any personal vehicles will see in five years.

That said, my RZR's are not exactly what I would consider top flight in the fit and finish area - several large gaps where exterior body panels do not line up, etc... I don't knock them too hard for that as they are off road vehicles so I am less picky but I did purchase a pair of them and $22.5K sitting there isn't exactly chump change. This is the main reason I have been riding Doo sleds for years rather than Polaris. Excellent fit and finish and I have had great experience with them in the reliability department. Polaris has been getting better with some of their more recent models of sleds but anytime I park next to one there is still a noticeable difference.

Here's hoping the plastics on the SS are executed at a much higher level than their SXS's and snowmobiles. From the photos it appears to be the case but one will have to get a close look specifically at the interiors of the production models to be sure.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Whelp... then I would have been super pissed. Better find your inner center ground because unfortunately the dealer has a lot of leverage in these type of situations. It is not convenient or realistic to take back your deposit and hope to find a 1st wave better deal anywhere close.

Sorry man. Let's hope your dealer astounds with proper service when your SS comes in.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I would reserve any judgements on quality until the production units are shipped. Guessing they were used and abused by hundreds of people and most likely have more use on them then any personal vehicles will see in five years.

That said, my RZR's are not exactly what I would consider top flight in the fit and finish area - several large gaps where exterior body panels do not line up, etc... I don't knock them too hard for that as they are off road vehicles so I am less picky but I did purchase a pair of them and $22.5K sitting there isn't exactly chump change. This is the main reason I have been riding Doo sleds for years rather than Polaris. Excellent fit and finish and I have had great experience with them in the reliability department. Polaris has been getting better with some of their more recent models of sleds but anytime I park next to one there is still a noticeable difference.

Here's hoping the plastics on the SS are executed at a much higher level than their SXS's and snowmobiles. From the photos it appears to be the case but one will have to get a close look specifically at the interiors of the production models to be sure.
From the three I have seen and sat in I can honestly say don't expect them to have the same fit and finish as a brand new car. These appear to be made to withstand the elements, all flexible plastic and metal much like an ATV or sled. I get all that and am satisfied with what they are but think they could have done a better job with some things like pedal covers and something more finished with the back end of the, what I can't stop thinking of as a "tub", or passenger area. Who know? maybe when the production models come out they will have address those issues

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
From the three I have seen and sat in I can honestly say don't expect them to have the same fit and finish as a brand new car. These appear to be made to withstand the elements, all flexible plastic and metal much like an ATV or sled. I get all that and am satisfied with what they are but think they could have done a better job with some things like pedal covers and something more finished with the back end of the, what I can't stop thinking of as a "tub", or passenger area. Who know? maybe when the production models come out they will have address those issues
IDK.....They certainly cost about as much as a brand new car.

·
Vendor
5,431 Posts
IDK.....They certainly cost about as much as a brand new car.
You're right Evo, however, I'm okay with settling on cheaper interior materials if they're better at withstanding punishment in the weather. I do however expect the reliability and longevity of a 20,000 dollar car. I don't think that's unreasonable.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You're right Evo, however, I'm okay with settling on cheaper interior materials if they're better at withstanding punishment in the weather. I do however expect the reliability and longevity of a 20,000 dollar car. I don't think that's unreasonable.
agreed.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts

When it comes to sleds, and atv's im all about Yamaha. The materials, fit, and finish is the best period. If you look at the plastic of a yamaha and then look at others, others feel cheap kinda like 90's Gm interior's. Not only that but the engines are unmatched for quality. After all Yamaha is a engine company. Only downfall is Yami sleds are heavy! Im not in the mountains so its not a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
For me ...this year we will buy some kind of a prototype with a all the major corrective all done...
I bought the FJ Cruiser in 2006 that was for me a demo..no keypass, no tire monitors and much more that was not there...

I was so happy with it...I was so unique....

·
Registered
621 Posts
If you want to be a trail blazer, then be prepared to suffer some consequences. It will still be well worth it for the gawks alone.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts