Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought very early production Spyder RTS.

I felt like I was beta testing for them, it had a lot of Bugs/Problems that I felt should have been worked out, it spent more time in the shop than i expected it to.

I think I will wait till second year and find out the problems that pop up with this bike, even if there is a price increase, it would be worth it to avoid the frustration that i experienced with the spyder's first year run.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I can believe ALL the SS of the first shipment will have problems! It's impossible! Maybe you got a bad unit with your Spyder but maybe it's just a bad luck! I feel a bit safer with the 2 years warranty and will look also for the 5 years extended!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I thought the same thing but if that happens I will lemon law the thing. after they give me my money back I will then buy the newer one :woot:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought very early production Spyder RTS.

I felt like I was beta testing for them, it had a lot of Bugs/Problems that I felt should have been worked out, it spent more time in the shop than i expected it to.

I think I will wait till second year and find out the problems that pop up with this bike, even if there is a price increase, it would be worth it to avoid the frustration that i experienced with the spyder's first year run.
I have had Spyder units #610 and now presently unit #104. In 70,000 miles neither unit has ever failed to start and neither unit has ever left me stranded. That does not mean they did not have problems. Early Spyders had a fatal flaw that it took BRP three years to get to the bottom of.

Certainly there are start up manufacturing problems in any new model production. And there are engineering problems inherent in every one although those problems may not show up because of the difference in usage different units may get. I would expect the Slingshot to suffer from both types of problems. What Polaris does about it will determine if they have a successful launch or not. BRP did not do a good job but they had no competition in the reverse trike market. Polaris does. We shall see.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
On my Spyder RTS the manufacturer had Problems with the power steering.

I had Multiple problems with the power steering before the MFR came out and said there was a problem, They fixed it under warranty, replaced the steering unit.

They had way to MANY Software/Firmware updates, So I would have to take my trike in and leave it for two days for them to update it.

There was a Big Problem that made the spyder DANGEROUS!!!!
It was a Major FLAW, that the dealer new about but was engineered into the bike.
If you needed to get up to speed quickly like merge into high speed traffic from a stand still coming from a business and you have the steering turned even slightly one way or the other the throttle would be cut in Half and only provide half throttle, I almost got in a Bad accident several times, till I got to the point of Not being able to rely on the bike performing as it should when i needed it most.

It would handle ok if you Lean way over, to hang off of the opposite side of the bike to transfer your weight to the opposite side of the turn.

It was way too top heavy do to the frame being very heavy over the top of the engine, they needed to design the frame so the weight would be MUCH LOWER.

The sway bar had soft Rubber bushings on it, and the sway bar was too small diameter.

The engine when new and breaking in, smelled Like Shrimp cooking on the BBQ, I always thought that was weird.

By the end I was upset with the Manufacturer, and the inept trike they built, I was relieved to get rid of it and vowed to NEVER EVER OWN another Bombardier Product

I had countless errors from the computer, the dealer said if the bike sat for more than a few days without being on a smart charger and the battery got low (in a couple of days, Really!! must have been a good draw on the battery then) then it would throw errors.

I still had the problems even with a battery tender on it all the time.

What a genuine Steaming POS it was, I am glad I dumped it, after 1-1/2 years of being very unhappy with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
On my Spyder RTS the manufacturer had Problems with the power steering.

I had Multiple problems with the power steering before the MFR came out and said there was a problem, They fixed it under warranty, replaced the steering unit.

They had way to MANY Software/Firmware updates, So I would have to take my trike in and leave it for two days for them to update it.

There was a Big Problem that made the spyder DANGEROUS!!!!
It was a Major FLAW, that the dealer new about but was engineered into the bike.
If you needed to get up to speed quickly like merge into high speed traffic from a stand still coming from a business and you have the steering turned even slightly one way or the other the throttle would be cut in Half and only provide half throttle, I almost got in a Bad accident several times, till I got to the point of Not being able to rely on the bike performing as it should when i needed it most.

It would handle ok if you Lean way over, to hang off of the opposite side of the bike to transfer your weight to the opposite side of the turn.

It was way too top heavy do to the frame being very heavy over the top of the engine, they needed to design the frame so the weight would be MUCH LOWER.

The sway bar had soft Rubber bushings on it, and the sway bar was too small diameter.

The engine when new and breaking in, smelled Like Shrimp cooking on the BBQ, I always thought that was weird.

By the end I was upset with the Manufacturer, and the inept trike they built, I was relieved to get rid of it and vowed to NEVER EVER OWN another Bombardier Product

I had countless errors from the computer, the dealer said if the bike sat for more than a few days without being on a smart charger and the battery got low (in a couple of days, Really!! must have been a good draw on the battery then) then it would throw errors.

I still had the problems even with a battery tender on it all the time.

What a genuine Steaming POS it was, I am glad I dumped it, after 1-1/2 years of being very unhappy with it.
I have heard this story more than once. The power steering issue was in all of the early models. It is what got me to sell mine. All that other stuff sounds like you had a lemon and little relief from BRP-very common.
After selling my Spyder and looking around for another toy, and trying several, I came to realize that there was nothing like a Spyder. So I bought another one. Now there is something like a Spyder in the Slingshot so maybe the whole breed will improve. I am quietly skeptical but we shall see.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I owned a BRP ATV and was happy with it. I liked the designed and it ran good. I considered getting a Spyder, but really wanted more of a touring machine. Along came the RT and I almost jumped. Unfortunately, I kept hearing such mixed reviews. I'd talked to one owner and he or she loved it...talk to another and it's problem after problem. In the end, I decided it was best to hold off for a while. Glad I did as so many great new options have come out in the past two years. Harley Rushmore bikes, Indians motorcycles, Slingshot, etc... Exciting times.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really hope the SS is a Great bike and a GREAT success,

I would love to see a US built quality product.

I wanted another miata, but was holding off to see if the next edition had the new sky active power-train

They are talking about a much lighter miata with more power, better gas MPG, from the Sky Avctive Powertrain, direct inj.

But the SS may be bought before that miata become a reality

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot to mention the brakes were ok they should have been better, than they were.

During the time when I owned the Spyder I had 13 Motorcycles, and did a Lot of riding everyday.

I am down by a few cycles I thinned the herd some, so I have room in the shop for another, maybe the SS

·
You could've had a V8
2,361 Posts
I really hope the SS is a Great bike and a GREAT success,

I would love to see a US built quality product.

I wanted another miata, but was holding off to see if the next edition had the new sky active power-train

They are talking about a much lighter miata with more power, better gas MPG, from the Sky Avctive Powertrain, direct inj.

But the SS may be bought before that miata become a reality
I was going to do the same thing - wait for the new Miata specs but my main concern was price - I can't imagine they will raise MPG, lower weight, increase power, and decrease price. It could happen but my money is on the SS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts