Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
2,333 Posts
You hood shouldn't be contacting anything on the motor, also your coil packs and coolant lines are all higher than the can covers.
Others have had this happen with coated valve covers and many of those that are stock can look at their valve cover and see a small mark where the single screw at the bottom of the "vents" (which is lower than the rest of the hood and nowhere near the coil packs or coolant lines) contacts/bounces off the cover when the hood is closed. I have a mark on mine ......

Might be something to consider before it becomes an issue, maybe a lower profile screw. I stuck a small piece of CF veneer on mine to cover the flaw and keep it from getting worse.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
You hood shouldn't be contacting anything on the motor, also your coil packs and coolant lines are all higher than the can covers.
I think what @Orangeman is referring to is that the forward screw that holds the fake hood vent sometimes makes contact with the valve cover. This most likely happens when closing the hood by the drop method some owners are doing, the hood flexes enough for this screw to make contact and will mar the valve cover. This did happen to mine and will not close my hood in this manner again. If you question how close this screw or any other part is to making contact, I place play-doo in the area of question, close the hood and when you open the indentation in the play-doo tells the story. It would be a shame for this to happen to one of these beautiful covers.

·
2,333 Posts
I think what @Orangeman is referring to is that the forward screw that holds the fake hood vent sometimes makes contact with the valve cover. This most likely happens when closing the hood by the drop method some owners are doing, the hood flexes enough for this screw to make contact and will mar the valve cover. This did happen to mine and will not close my hood in this manner again. If you question how close this screw or any other part is to making contact, I place play-doo in the area of question, close the hood and when you open the indentation in the play-doo tells the story. It would be a shame for this to happen to one of these beautiful covers.
Exactly ...just politely warning him of the issue before someone complains or gets pissed off about damaging their custom valve cover .... may not always be the owner who closes the hood ......

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Exactly ...just politely warning him of the issue before someone complains or gets pissed off about damaging their custom valve cover .... may not always be the owner who closes the hood ......

Yes, in my case it was not me that did it but I watched it happen. I had no mark until the hood was dropped!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
OK boys we only do 10 test spots for new products and 9 spots have been paid. so 1 last spot. I have a red carbon, a grey carbon, and the yellow flame left right now.

10 more are at the coater but like i said its a 2 week or so lead time.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
PAID AND THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Have you had any problems with the screw that mounts the hood "vents" contacting the valve cover and messing up the finish.

This looks to be the fix.
So anyone who wants one of these screws let me know. These replaces the screw that is in the hood and gains you .200 of room.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Sure send one with mine and let me know where it goes in the hood

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Ok bud thanks.....is there a place such as home depot to get it from to save you the trouble?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Ok then I'll look for it in the mail! Thanks bud

21 - 40 of 77 Posts