Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Folks, I posted video of my Stock Backup Camera Display for Driving, but with further extensive testing under driving conditions, I found a dangerous condition that can occur.
In wiring a switch to the reverse switch on the transmission, I was able to turn the backup Camera and display on. Problem is, the Rev Limiter Feauture for the Reverse cam into play and could only drive 15 mph and the engine will stutter.
Found that when the Clutch is pushed in the Rev Limiter is disabled and engine will perform at full power.
Wired a relay to short clutch switch when New Switch for Display is pushed. All worked fine, able to drive forward at normal speeds with camera on.
The serious problem is that if you operate the switch on and off and then back on and off a few time, and you are going at hwy speed, say 50 or so, at some point the engine will see a condition that is undetermined and the ecu will shut the engine down to idle and you can not accelerate at all, the Slingshot will just roll to a stop. You must shut the engine off and restart to get out of the condition.
I did find you can use this if you turn the switch on and leave it on until a point the engine check light will come on due to the Clutch Switch shorted out with the relay. In this condition, you do not have this condition.
The ECU has a monitor system that is checking the whole system for proper operation. If you fool it too much before the engine check light comes on, the ecu, shuts down the engine as a result. This would be extremely troubling and dangerous if on a busy interstate or heavy traffic.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Members, here is my findings on the subject of using the Stock Backup Camera Display while driving.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hey all.
Did this ever get figured out to work? I would think a resistor could trick the ECU... But am no expert.
Thanks,
(Sorry new here, wasn't able to find any updates from this)

WW

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey all.
Did this ever get figured out to work? I would think a resistor could trick the ECU... But am no expert.
Thanks,
(Sorry new here, wasn't able to find any updates from this)

WW
Sorry to say, it will work, but there are issues that I have not found a way around. As in my video shows, you could be driving along and the ECU could should down due to the input that you are in Reverse and driving at speeds above the Studder option for Reverse. You also get a Check Engine light that will stay on while driving. It indicates that your clutch switch is not working. I think your best option is to get a Backup Cam and wire it in with monitor mounted at a good point. I have a video showing the use of this mod.

You will need a monitor,sold separate and the camera and wiring from Best Buy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to say, it will work, but there are issues that I have not found a way around. As in my video shows, you could be driving along and the ECU could should down due to the input that you are in Reverse and driving at speeds above the Studder option for Reverse. You also get a Check Engine light that will stay on while driving. It indicates that your clutch switch is not working. I think your best option is to get a Backup Cam and wire it in with monitor mounted at a good point. I have a video showing the use of this mod.

You will need a monitor,sold separate and the camera and wiring from Best Buy.

What brand/Model of monitor and size are you using?
Likewise for camera.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What brand/Model of monitor and size are you using?
Likewise for camera.
I am using the stock screen monitor and the stock backup camera. I wired it to work, but the error of sending signals to the ecu cause the engine to shut down. I proved you can make it work as a rear view driving display but after a while the system will shut down. Do not try it. Dangerous for safety.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If your SS has a backup camera, can you disconnect it at the back where coupling is and still run the SS “normally”?
If so, then couldn’t you use a simple switch to “shut off” the camera and then run a new switched wire to turn the camera on while driving?

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could not determine the lead and get it to work that way. I found my way of triggering the reverse switch and switching in the clutch switch to shut off engine studded due to reverse switch activated. Any way it was simple and easy to wire. I have not heard of anyone getting it to worke the way you described. It would be great if someone does.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well, if the SS runs w/o the camera (shut off by a switch or disconnected) then I would think that a seperate power wire would be able to power the camera. Then, the next question would be using the oem display...
Will the vehicle computer realize that the display is showing the camera while in forward motion and you are back to square one.... Hmm

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, if the SS runs w/o the camera (shut off by a switch or disconnected) then I would think that a seperate power wire would be able to power the camera. Then, the next question would be using the oem display...
Will the vehicle computer realize that the display is showing the camera while in forward motion and you are back to square one.... Hmm
BikernDiver, I have another option that I think will work better than trying to modify the Stock Display system. For one thing, it is very hard to see in the daylight while driving due to the angle of the Display and you can not change it. I have a video that shows my external Backup Camera System I bought and installed. The screen is very small, but the display is very bright and you can adjust the screen to display best view. I would recommend owners explore the backup cameras with a big screen and install. I think you will get a better success. Good Luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
BikernDiver, I have another option that I think will work better than trying to modify the Stock Display system. For one thing, it is very hard to see in the daylight while driving due to the angle of the Display and you can not change it. I have a video that shows my external Backup Camera System I bought and installed. The screen is very small, but the display is very bright and you can adjust the screen to display best view. I would recommend owners explore the backup cameras with a big screen and install. I think you will get a better success. Good Luck.

Some people just dont want another “thing” on the dash.... your idea is obviously the easiest thing, but it’s one more thing too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts