Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok

First of all hello to all and thanks to all on the fourm. It has helped me in my quest of getting and maintenance of the SS.

I also have been wondering about how to deter would be theifs or a holes from rolling my parked ss. It's seems you can still. Disengage the gear stick without the use of the clutch.

My thoughts would be something that would keep the e brake up. Some kind of wedge lock. I don't know if some thing exist for the ss. Once it's locked you would have pin lock or something. Now if sometime is out there please let me know.

No for my final thought would be to engage the e brake. Then run a cable started at the roll hoops then to the e brake. If it thight enough. That may keep the brake from disengaging. What do you all think. I'm here for answers just like you. So go easy lol

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Projectile, I guess I just live in an area that I don't panic about such things. I park it and leave it in 1st gear. Usually take the key out when I park it (most of the Time).
One thought is that the 'parking break' may stretch out if left pulled
to long. Just a note I read here some place.

·
Registered
351 Posts
One member posted a lock like this and said it would not work with SS emergency brake. Have you tried it?
Yep, it won't work, it doesn't fit as it comes over the SS parking brake handle. If you're that worried though, keep it simple. Perhaps get a steering wheel club and/or lockable steel cable to thread through the rear wheel spokes and swingarm. These are what I use when my SS is out of sight for any length of time.

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
UPDATED (with more on locks):

Theft deterrent is rather interesting. As much as one might want to depend on the police, that's not realistic. Thieves aren't overly worried about being prosecuted either. Heck, they're not much worried about being caught!

The best one can do is make the Slingshot "not worth stealing." Make it work to do so, multiple quality locking devices (steering, wheel) that require different attacks with different tools; the harder it is to steal, the better. How hard and how much money a person throws at it depends on their situation, one size does not fit all. @RABTECH even stole his own ride.

It's not cheap. Hardened chain is big, heavy, and expensive. (It also must be kept off the ground, or a freeze-and-hammer attack will ruin your chain, and your day.) Most disk-locks (the ones with the oddly shaped new keys) are easy to get through in seconds. Good locks alone can cost quite a bit and be hard to find.

The biggest thing is to use hardened, 16mm chain (or larger). 12mm hardened goes pretty darn fast. Flat chains are designed to spread bolt-cutter jaw force over a larger, flat surface. Note the ABUS Hardened Security Chain is designed to use a smaller lock. Want tougher chain? Pewag Hardened Square Link Chain 12mm Rc63, ~$30/foot. Not impenetrable, but makes theft much harder.

Of course, the lock matters.
Note the Stanley lock he likes actually isn't that easy to pick.

Without getting into the price of an Abloy 340 (which is hard to get in the U.S. other than on eBay, and then knock-offs are an issue), check out a Lock overview:
Mul-T-Lock MT5+ with protector ~$140 on Amazon
Abus Granit (Insurance lock) ~$80 Amazon, ~$125 w/protector
newer Mul-T-Lock MT5+ core (perhaps not so easy to find other than eBay)
ISEO, and medeco on eBay ~$40 -- Why is the medeco so darn cheap? Because it's been broken--not easily, but it's not near the security it once was.

Why keep the front wheels turned with a steering-wheel locking bar? Because there is no shaft lock on the steering column. Even without a steering wheel, the person moving the vehicle just has to grab the front tire and force it the direction they want the vehicle to turn.

Note the SOBO is pretty resilient for a Chinese lock.
If you're interested in locking bikes/motorcycles, you may wish to view "How (Not) to get your bike stolen"

·
Registered
27 Posts
20151206_122323.jpg
20151206_122308.jpg
I use a Master Lock 8200D Street Cuffs Lock, 12-inch, and turn the wheel. Lock the turned steering wheel to the frame. Good visual deterrent and around $40!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Oh I can't stand it........Wjfyfe, I know you're just dying to chime in so go ahead!:hilarious:

and tell us that it's insured so who cares if it gets stolen...:banghead:

Robert

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
..................... I guess I just live in an area that I don't panic about such things. I park it and leave it in 1st gear. Usually take the key out when I park it (most of the Time).
Yep, it's insured and certainly nothing to loose sleep, or get all bent out of shape, over. Besides, Bend Oregon has three SlingShots on their lot currently to replace it, (and we are willing to bet there are several others spread across the state!)

We will install the cockpit cover if staying some place over night.................

On a similar topic, the first time I took the SlingShot to work I handed the keys to a coworker for him to try it out, by the end of my shift a dozen or so different folks had experienced our SlingShot! :)

Bill and Justina

1 - 20 of 27 Posts